Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 13:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/117/117 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by binki
Wow, LLindaSSue, it looks like the stuff gave you hiccups!
--bbinki
When I registered at this site, I was told that LindaSue was already in use so I used the next closest thing. I figured at least people would know who I was, LOL.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Apr-17-06, 13:43

Stats: 167/117/117 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

MyJourney, that's interesting about PolyD that's been cooked at a high temperature. I hadn't heard that before. Of course I have no way of knowing how certain low carb products were made, such as Advantage bars and the like. I avoid the ones with sugar alcohols, but they all do my stomach in if I eat a whole bar and that's from the PolyD.

cbcb, be sure to post your review of the marshmallow dip. Netrition has just started selling Walden Farms products.
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Apr-21-06, 06:29

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLindaSSue
I have a feeling that the one person Scott's talking about might be me. Scott, you can add one more person to your list. My friend, Nancy (who goes by Over50Mom at LCF) says that erythritol affects her WORSE than maltitol.

*scribbling with my pencil*

Got it! 2 people
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-06, 18:08

Stats: 201.6/198.4/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress:

I don't know what I did wrong, but I tried to follow the recipe exactly and ended up with a sticky glob in the end-not marshmellowy at all. When i poured the hot syrup into the gelatin (KA on "stir" speed) it just formed sprays of syrup which instantly hardened on the sides of the bowl. After 15 min. of beating all I had was a gummy ball of polyd in the bottom of the bowl-it never doubled or tripled in volume. Bummer! Anyone else have better results? Would really appreciate any input as to what I might have done wrong. Thanks
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 09:54
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
I made this recipe tonight.

I substituted 1/4 cup of POLYD+ for the splenda. I don't know if I got up to 175 degrees but they were kinda tasty

I'll be making these again!

Lisa

This one worked for me.

PS--I didn't pour the hot syrup into the gelatine. I heated the water, dumped the melted gelatine in and heated until completely dissolved then I slowly sprinkled in the PolyD while whisking continuously. Brought up to temperature. Then transferred into a glass pyrex measuring cup and slowly beat into the egg whites.

I'm sure Scott has better or more precise directins, but this worked for me!
  #36   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 10:49

BF:
Progress:

lisa, I tried that recipe way before polyd was available and thought it had a weird "spongy" texture, kind of foam-like? I remember I just pitched it. Did yours really resemble a marshmellow texture? Could you cut into shapes, etc.? Thanks
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 16:00
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyw342
lisa, I tried that recipe way before polyd was available and thought it had a weird "spongy" texture, kind of foam-like? I remember I just pitched it. Did yours really resemble a marshmellow texture? Could you cut into shapes, etc.? Thanks

Well... if I'm not mistaken....I haven't had a "real" marshmellow in years but aren't they wierd and spongey anyway????

They cut into squares beautifully. I put them in a big plastic Gladware container and spread it out. I put it in the frige and an hour later I was munchn' on mellows. They came out of the Gladware without a problem. I thought they would be a nightmare to get out of any container because it's so sticky. Nope. Just peeled them out.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Apr-23-06, 17:07

BF:
Progress:

lisa, thanks, I'll have to give them another try with the polyd, maybe that's the trick
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 12:36

Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Andy, I feel horrible. After reading your post, I made tried making marshmallows three times in the last two days and no matter what I do, I can't duplicate the results I achieved a few months ago. This is killing me. It's also trashing my kitchenaid and my polyd supply as well.

As anyone who's ever had a souffle collapse on them understands, a foam can be a very tenuous thing. Too much liquid, too liquid and the foam fails.

I know these marshmallows are possible but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make them work. I'm stumped. *sigh* It's back to the drawing board.

Hopefully anyone reading this thread will read the whole thing and not make this recipe.

I'm sorry- I should have tested this more thoroughly before I posted it.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 16:57

BF:
Progress:

scott, no problem really. I just rolled it in a ball & played catch with myself by bouncing it off the wall. I'm sure the "excercise" was better for me than eating marshmellows anyway.
Always enjoy reading your posts here & other boards too.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Apr-24-06, 17:59
Every day is day one

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Andy, I feel horrible. After reading your post, I made tried making marshmallows three times in the last two days and no matter what I do, I can't duplicate the results I achieved a few months ago. This is killing me. It's also trashing my kitchenaid and my polyd supply as well.

As anyone who's ever had a souffle collapse on them understands, a foam can be a very tenuous thing. Too much liquid, too liquid and the foam fails.

I know these marshmallows are possible but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to make them work. I'm stumped. *sigh* It's back to the drawing board.

Hopefully anyone reading this thread will read the whole thing and not make this recipe.

I'm sorry- I should have tested this more thoroughly before I posted it.

Is it raining or extremely humid??? The humidity affects the results. At least with real marshmellows. Just a thought.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Sep-17-06, 00:00
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

anyone have more success? Now that the weather is getting cooler I have been having a lot of fires in the back yard and I would love to roast some!
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-31-08, 05:49

Stats: 280/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Did anyone try any of these suggestions yet? Just wondering....

Last edited by iasi : Thu, Jul-31-08 at 05:50. Reason: typo