Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 08:53

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/176.5/145
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Starting Atkins' Induction today! 12-27-2001

Hello,
My name is Jo Ann (age 55) and I have been reading, posting, and lurking now for about 2 weeks. Well, today is THE DAY for me to begin my 2 weeks induction to Atkin's Diet.

I hope you guys don't mind, but I will probably be asking quiet a few questions.

This is the best message forum I have ever been on. Everyone stays so active! That is GREAT!

Talk to you soon, eating my 2 egg omllette and 4 pieces of bacon and coffee for breakfast.

Jo Ann in TEXAS
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 09:02

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 170/139/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Good luck Joanne!
As long as you see Atkins as a way of life, not a diet, you will do fine. Start a journal - it is an excellent tool. Read everything you can. If you can get rid of all the high carb food in your house- do it - it will make things so much easier if you get a really bad craving attack. If its not there, you can't eat it. Post any questions you may have. Good luck again!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 09:13

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 215/215/160
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Induction

I too have tried and been succesfull on the Adkins diet, in '97. Regretably, I gained back half of the 100 lbs I lost!!!

So here I go again...
This time I have a new, very supportive husband (he is going to join me) and with all the fabulous recipes I have access to I think I can make that life change that is so necessary.

Good luck to you
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 09:24

BF:
Default Atriana and Jeeper!

Thanks so much for the welcome! It is so good to have found this Low Carb forum where everyone is so friendly and willing to help each other. I know I am not alone in this JOURNEY TO A NEW ME!

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 09:41

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 164/130/132
BF:
Progress: 106%

Welcome Joanne and Jeeper!!
You've both been through this before so you know how to achieve your goal!!
This time make it a way of life!!
Best of luck to you both !!
Any questions-- just ask away!! We are fortunate to have so many wonderful, helpful people here!!
Start journals-- very helpful with the day to day stuff!!
HAPPY LOCARBING!!
Ellie
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 12:54

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Welcome Jo Ann (finally) to low carbing

You can hardly call what you've been doing, "lurking", -- you've been doing research.

Glad you finally decided to take the plunge. Post often, questions are not discouraged here - not by a long shot!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 16:04

BF:
Default Thanks!

Yes, I did start a journal today under the J's.

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 16:18

BF:
Smile Thanks Low Carb Sponge!

What is funny, I planned to wait to eat the big Christmas Dinner on Dec. 25 and I did and it didn't even taste good! LOL

I could have started a week ago if I had known the food was not going to taste good.

Anyway, I have started as of today, officially. Already, I have a question about the artificial sweetners. I use them and like them, but I am wondering will they keep me from Losing weight on this diet. Am I suppose to count 1 carb for every package of either Sweet and Low or Splenda that I use? I am not fearful of them concerning my health, I just don't want them to cause me to not lose weight on this Low Carb WOE ?????

Love to hear all opinons I can get about the artificial sweetners concerning the weight loss on Low carbing?

Thanks in advance!
Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi JoAnn! Glad to meet you and looking forward to LC'ing togeher!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 16:47

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Here's a great article written by our own Doreen on artificial sweeteners. Click here to read it.

Personally I only use Splenda - and only in cheesecake and the very occasional other dessert I make. I don't take sweetener in my coffee and I stay clear of diet pops for the most part.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 19:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/150/119
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi I have also started the Atkins Diet today, Im from Liverpool England, Iam 48 years young and have been on many diets but Im hoping that this one works. Unlike the states, we here in the uk are not really into Lo Carb so Im hoping that it wont be tooooo hard to find all the food and products that I will need to keep from getting bored, Iam also a smoker and hope to also change that at the begining of the new year' so life is tough' but hopfully Ill survive, and I do hope that you will as well. But I would welcome any tips you may have and in turn I will gladly return any that I have for you.

Im looking forward to my beakfast in the morning but if I stay up any later it may be in the afternoon.

Best Of Luck To You

Carol
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 19:53
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Unlike the states, we here in the uk are not really into Lo Carb so Im hoping that it wont be tooooo hard to find all the food and products that I will need to keep from getting bored,

You only need a few things to low carb successfully. Fresh, low carb vegetables, fresh protein and water. Being willing to change your eating habits for life is another and collecting recipes to try works really well too!

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 19:54

BF:
Default Thanks LCS!

I will check the site out you gave to me on the Artificial Sweetners. Thanks Again!

I remember drinking the Diet A&W rootbeer in my diet 2 years ago, and lost drinking 1-2 a day. But, I will pay attention to my diet drinks if I should not be losing or if I slow down.

Jo Ann in TEXAS
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 08:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/210/205
BF:
Progress: 92%

Good Luck to all the newbies

And I agree that's it is easy to find Low carb food you just have to learn to look in the right places

I don't think the US is that much more advanced than the UK as far as options....especially with restaurants....it's always an adventure trying to get my meal to have the carbs I want it to
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-29-01, 07:07

BF:
Thumbs up Hanging in there!

I am on my 3rd day of the Induction. My only problem is............I am already tired of the meat! LOL

Today, I plan to make some either tuna salad or chicken salad. I have been eating Steak and Pork chops. So, I need a change already. LOL

But, I am hanging in there!

Jo Ann in TEXAS