Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 13:04

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 77 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
I called them up and I asked them for the nutritional information based on a cup. The guy I spoke with said that when using large quantities it does have a "trivial" amount of calories. He didn't have the numbers with him but he told me he would call me back next week and let me know. I will post the results here when I find out.

A serving size is 1.4g (1 tsp) and it lists it as having less than 1g carb. My guess is that it will be like splenda and have 24g carbs per cup (which is still not horrible). I totally think I will use this in conjunction with splenda.

Please do post what you find out. One thing that really bothers me about this is that the sachet that I got which I am assuming is one serving said that it was 2 carbs but listed 0 carbs for sugar. I have to assume that is from the fiber, but I am not sure. I would like to see the nutritional breakdown for a cup or even a quarter cup, because then we can figure out what they might be hiding from there.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 14:14

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 77 inches
BF:
Default percentage of sucralose

One thing I did see on the canister that I have is that in a 1.4-gram serving (which is supposed to be a teaspoon) there is 0.0005 grams of sucralose. I am not sure how much that works out to percentage wise, but given that there are three zeros to the right of the decimal and before the 5, I surmise that it is pretty infintesimal. Five thousandths of a gram?
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 19:24
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I just weighed 1 tsp 3 times and it seems 1 level tsp (I used a measuring spoon) weighs 3 grams not 1.4 grams like they suggest.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 05:01

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 244/202/160 Female 5'6''
BF:
Progress: 50%

<<The mouth feel of this is the closest to real sugar than anything I have experienced>>

I definitely agree with you on this.

To me, it tastes just like sugar, if sugar had a slightly fluffier texture and maybe a tiny aftertaste that was slightly fruity, ever so gritty - but definitely not offputting, just different.

If only the manufacturer was more forthcoming with details, then I would feel more comfortable about using it...but that's the great paradox, isn't it?

Barefoot
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 21:41

Plan: don't know!
Stats: 150/150/115
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming
Maltodextrin powder's carbs are 75% fibre, I think. It is used in Metamucil, btw.

I have to apologize for this stupid question, but does that mean that only 1 of the 4 calories in malotdextrin is digestible? I always thought it was 4 cals/gram, and counted it as such!

Sorry...still learning! And I did get some free packets of Sughr from Vitamin Shoppe, and wasn't the impressed....I'll have to stick to Erythritol (sp!?)
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 21:51
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

depends on how many of those carbs are fiber. in this case 3 of the 4 are fiber.
this might better explain
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...129&postcount=4
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 22:20

BF:

Thanks - so with maltodextrin, it's 1 in 4, and with others sweeteners, it may be different...right?

Thanks, again!
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 22:25
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgirl2
Thanks - so with maltodextrin, it's 1 in 4, and with others sweeteners, it may be different...right?

Thanks, again!

yes they are all different

some in fact most sweetners have no fiber in them at all.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 00:21
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

maltodextrin is a carbohydrate. Maltodextrin contains no fiber. It is pretty much a pure starch derived from corn. Maltodextrin has a high GI (the same or higher than glucose if I recall correctly) and is 4 calories per gram.

It is used in sweeteners as a bulking agent to help make it measureable cup for cup (That is why liquid splenda has no carbs but granular does)
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-06, 00:48
Kitchen Experimenter

i stand corrected i was reading Maltodextrin and thinking poyd.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 04:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/220/205 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Maltodextrin can get kind of... complex. There are a few different types of maltodextrin, some sweet, some not sweet at all. I'm sure that the type of maltodextrin dictates both it's carb and caloric impact. I'm not exactly sure how at this point, and, even if I knew, we'd have to find out the type of maltodextrin from the manufacturer. It's unfortunate but maltodextrin is an umbrella term for a variety of starch derived fillers.

Umbrella term or not, though, I still believe maltodextrin is bad news, both in Splenda and in Shugr. They should have stayed with the polyd. I'm guessing that maybe they got complaints about polyd's assimilation issues and that's why they dropped it. Whatever the reason, it was a poor choice. Polyd knocks maltodextrin out of the water.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 11:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott123
Maltodextrin can get kind of... complex. There are a few different types of maltodextrin, some sweet, some not sweet at all. I'm sure that the type of maltodextrin dictates both it's carb and caloric impact. I'm not exactly sure how at this point, and, even if I knew, we'd have to find out the type of maltodextrin from the manufacturer. It's unfortunate but maltodextrin is an umbrella term for a variety of starch derived fillers.

Umbrella term or not, though, I still believe maltodextrin is bad news, both in Splenda and in Shugr. They should have stayed with the polyd. I'm guessing that maybe they got complaints about polyd's assimilation issues and that's why they dropped it. Whatever the reason, it was a poor choice. Polyd knocks maltodextrin out of the water.

Thanks for the clarification - I didn't want to admit how confused I was!!
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 14:44
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

I am not very familiar with polyd does polyd contain sorbitol?

Also, where can polyd be purchased? I try and stick to whole and raw foods if possible as much as I can, but I do enjoy experimenting with new things and figure its about time I play with polyd some.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 16:54
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
I am not very familiar with polyd does polyd contain sorbitol?

Also, where can polyd be purchased? I try and stick to whole and raw foods if possible as much as I can, but I do enjoy experimenting with new things and figure its about time I play with polyd some.

No, there are 2 forms

PolyD Fiber and PolyD Fiber Plus

PolyD Fiber is a fiber supplement. Also available in a sweetened version.

PolyD Fiber is 100% polydextrose. PolyD Fiber Plus is polydextrose sweetened with sucralose.

http://www24.netrition.com/lifesource_polyd_page.html
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-06, 18:09
Butter Tastes Better

BF:

I was asking about the sorbitol because of one of the comments in this blog

Quote:
http://www.lowcarbfreedom.com/2005/...ugar_subst.html

Polydextrose has Sorbitol which is not low-cal, and it's citric acid is somewhat controversal in possibly causing an insulin response in some people.

I didnt think it did but I wasnt certain. As far as citric acid, isnt that just sour salt?

Anyway, I agree, I wish they would go back to polyd or inulin (though I dont think inulin dissolves really well in cold beverages). I would like to play with the polyd.

I called the Swiss labs people again today and left another message. I will get an answer if it kills me!!! lol