Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-06, 19:29

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
It takes time for things that are 'different' to get accepted.

There was a great quote on the Google page today:

Quote:
Historically, the claim of consensus has been the first refuge of scoundrels; it is a way to avoid debate by claiming that the matter is already settled.

- Michael Crichton
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 00:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 232/212/160 Female  5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Well, if the dietician is right , then I am brain dead and don't know it yet!

We always tease the RD's ~ work about being " food Nazi's"

I have heard a number of docs at the hospital I work at actually RECOMMEND a low carb diet to some of their patients.

My family practice doc has a poster in his office ( I keep asking where he got it ) that shows the food pyramid and the caption " The Big Lie"

The diabetic educator my husband went to when he was first diagnosed asked what changes he had made. He told her I had put him on Low Carb and she said GREAT! The ADA diet is vastly overated!

There are some in the medical community who know the truth about Low Carb. Unfortunately, there are still too few of them.

Tessbook -- where are you in NW Iowa? I have family ~ Laurens!

Last edited by willowmh : Tue, Jan-24-06 at 00:21.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 09:13

Plan: My own
Stats: 198/192.4/180 Female 66 inches
BF:YES!
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowmh
Tessbook -- where are you in NW Iowa? I have family ~ Laurens!

I'm in Sioux Center, IA, which is not far from Le Mars, IA ("The ice cream capital of the world" according to them!). Is your family nearby?

Thanks so much to everyone for all your responses! I feel so much better now. Like I said, my head knew she was talking trash, but it still kind of freaked me out when she began rattling off all her medical terminology. Since this is a new WOE for me I'm woefully underinformed re all the technical, metabolic info, and wasn't able to hold my own with her.

A sidenote; I was grocery shopping with my husband last night to make sure that I had all the food that I needed, and we were discussing my diet while checking out. What do you think the cashier said? "Dr. Atkins died of a heart attack, you know". Well, the poor little 19 year old cashier didn't know what hit her when I corrected her. I wasn't rude, but after my experience with the dietician I was probably a little more strident than was called for. Oops!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 09:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 183/000/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 345%

oh boy, its sooo hard to argue with people set in the old fashioned ways. I tell people the bug me about my choices flat out that there is nothing they can say that will change my mind. I'm a healthy weight and look good and they stuff their faces with fast fried food, and just a bunch of horribly unhealthy things all day long and they have the nerve to tell me that I'm unhealthy! ahhhh! it bugs me so much
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 09:59
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
As far as the kidney failure, etc. she is conflating the problem of ketoacidosis with simple ketosis. Some people (like those with liver or kidney disease) cannot eat very low carb, at risk of ketoacidosis. Most people do not have this problem.

Most people don't have this problem? Sorry I'm unclear about the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. We weren't taught a difference when I studied biomolecules at uni and only know of the difference from DANDR and here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
A better way to think of the brain's energy requirement is that it prefers ketones, but will use glucose as a backup in emergencies. All it really needs is about 30 grams per day of glucose which the liver can make without any problems.

And we were taught the brain runs purely on glucose in 1st year, and that ketones exist as a backup for times of low glucose, in 2nd year. But I'm unsure if the brain runs on ketones or if those ketones are converted to glucose (I wasn't very good at studies lol). And then ketoacidosis is when your body can't regulate the amount of ketones produced because of diabetes?

And where do you get the figure of 30g per day of glucose from?

Sorry for all the questions, I only just realised there's a hole in my understanding.

Thanks!
e
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 13:51

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheets
And where do you get the figure of 30g per day of glucose from?
The 30g number I have read on a few internet sites and believe I saw in a few LC books. I doubt that the 30 number is exact as it would be a hard thing to accurately measure.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 13:56

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

In looking to see if I could quickly find the 30 carb number, I came upon this interesting tidbit about high blood-sugar levels and the brain. Too much glucose is not good for the brain.
Quote:
However, IQ levels were found to drop temporarily in Australian children as their blood sugars rose. When the children's blood sugar climbed to 400 mg/dl (22 mmol), their IQ dropped by 10 percent. Fortunately, this loss of intelligence was corrected when blood sugars were brought back down.

But research in Kansas found that a permanent loss of IQ seems to occur following ketoacidosis that requires hospitalization. Each ketoacidosis episode, with its high blood sugars, in the children studied appeared to cause a loss of just over one point in the IQ. (Although low blood sugars can certainly cause a temporary impairment of consciousness and reasoning, these researchers found no permanent effect on the IQ from severe hypoglycemia in these children. Very severe and prolonged hypoglycemia can cause this type of loss, however.)
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 14:09

Stats: 203.6/203.6/150 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Ah, the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, aka PCRM. They are a front for PeTA and one of their areas of focus is low-carb diets since people eating low-carb tend to eat meat. I recommend that people be very skeptical of the things they claim.

OMG I am amazed at the things I learn here!!! I did not know this and would have never twisted my mind around to conceive of a connection, though it is very logical!!!!
Thanks for the info... still amazed!!!!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 14:16

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Don't ya love how a lot of medical professionals think that eating highly refined processed foods as long as they are low in fat is better for you than natural whole foods untouched by mankind???

That always makes me shake my head in disbelief......I think I will become a dietician....
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 14:37
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheets
Most people don't have this problem? Sorry I'm unclear about the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis. We weren't taught a difference when I studied biomolecules at uni and only know of the difference from DANDR and here.

Hiya bsheets - mainly, ketosis is when you're producing ketones, but most of us pee them right on out. Ketoacidosis is when you don't pee them out and they build up in your body (page about ketoacidosis).
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 14:40

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

She's probably exaggerating a bit.................she's one of those people who think we are only eating meat again...........don't listen, and keep losing!!!!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 14:46

Default p.s

Why are all the foods that are "natural" and good for us high in fat then???
nuts, avocodos, to name a few......God made these healthy fats for us to eat, for our body to live off of, we need these to live!!!!!!!!!!
]

too many "addictive" and processed sugar carbs only mess up our brain, make us depressed and continue to keep us on medications!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 14:51

I did a study on ADD and ADHD,

a high percentage of these children had high sugar diets............their brains didnt know what to do.........!!!!!!!!

why do people put their children on so much medication and never stop to think it may be about their diet???
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 14:59

Plan: whole foods (mostly)
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'8
BF:a little lower
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Ah, the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, aka PCRM. They are a front for PeTA and one of their areas of focus is low-carb diets since people eating low-carb tend to eat meat. I recommend that people be very skeptical of the things they claim.

go to www.atkinsdietalert.org and click on healthier options.

It gives a vegan menu! I'm not anti vegans but I did do it for a year, mostly vegetarian for 5 yrs. And I was still overweight and really tired. Not to mention anemic and deficient in B vitamins. I remember when I first went back to meat and ate some BBQ- it was sooo good and I felt so much more energetic almost immediately. Just like lc isn't for everyone, neither is low fat vegetarian. If it's working for you then don't worry.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 15:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 198/192.4/180 Female 66 inches
BF:YES!
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaLeanne

why do people put their children on so much medication and never stop to think it may be about their diet???

Amen, sister! As a former nanny, I've often asked myself that very same question.