Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 08:34

Plan: PP-Vegetarian; now SB veg
Stats: 143/130/115 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 46%

This was an interesting read...I see both sides of the issue. I personally would never let my kid drink diet coke or regular for that matter. I don't drink those either. But I knew that since before he was born so I haven't had to "change" him. He is 2years+ & only likes to drink water or milk. Infact we tried to give him juice when he was very sick recently & he wouldn't take it - bit of a problem there ! Not saying he doesn't eat other "crap" - I don't keep cookies at home, but he does eat crackers (usually wheat, but still crap IMO) & he eats things at daycare that I wish he'd rather not.
Um, I rambled on here...anyway I;ve had only one instance so far of stranger intrusion - a really old lady at the grocery store shusshed at my son who was screaming his head off. It surpeised him to quietness & I was actually relieved rather than angry
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 08:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5' 8"
BF:Heh. You're funny.
Progress: 18%

This just reminded me of another similar incident that I was an amused witness to. I was standing in a long line at a store waiting to pay, and the woman behind me had several kids with her, one of whom was a girl of about 8 chewing happily on a wad of pink gum. The elderly woman behind them touched the little girl on the shoulder and said, "can I tell you something that I wish someone had told me when I was your age? You shouldn't chew gum! It's so bad for your teeth and mouth and you'll sure wish you hadn't ever chewed it when you grow up!"

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhh.
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 11:01
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think it is more traumatizing to see an insane stranger freak out on you or your mother, than it is for a kid to drink a little bit of soda (diet OR regular... well unless they are very carbohydrate sensitive, in which case, regular might actually be *more* traumatizing ).

I can remember 2 distinct experiences from childhood where strangers thought it was their business to tell me what to do. Once I was on the bus, a little kid of about 5 or so, and I was eating those "Nerds" candy - the kind that has bright colors, one side is like purple the other is pink or something like that. I was eating them by the handful when this crazy old woman shrieks and she's like "YOU HAVE TO EAT THEM ONE AT A TIME" and started scolding me. That made me feel really bad.

The second time I was at a shoe store, waiting for my mother to do what she needed to do. I was standing on a chair in the waiting room when another crazy old woman hit my legs and told me to sit down. That really made me feel awful and I felt bad the whole day.

Maybe I was just a reaaally sensitive kid, (I am kinda sensitive) but IMO I think most children would be affected like I was.

Bottom line?
Aggression and hostility is REALLY bad for kids.
Candy and soda or standing on a chair far less so.
Don't be a nutjob walking around venting your issues on people (or defenseless children). Aspartame is not a health risk. There is nothing wrong with it. Freaking out because some child is drinking diet soda makes you look like the nutter you probably are. Even more so when you are morbidly obese and professing to know everything about health and nutrition (I understand some people have medical conditions that make them morbidly obese, but come on, lets get real, it's much more likely she just doesn't know much about healthy eating or how to control weight - especially if she thinks sugar soda is better than aspartame!).
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 12:59

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Some people are just ignorant.
This reminds me of a time I went to a grocery store with my son. He was born with a WIDE bilateral cleft lip and palate. He was only a month or so old and had not yet had his first surgery. A lady in line behind me had the nerve to tap me on the shoulder and tell me that "thats what you get for taking drugs while you were pregnant!"
I was stunned and did not know what to say.......
I cried soo hard when I got out in the parking lot. The nerve of people.

I totally wished I would have kicked her ass right then and there......
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 13:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You know what, people that say crap like that are mentally ill. There can't be any other explanation for it.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 13:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Bandito: That is one of the worst comments from a stranger I have ever heard! What a self-righteous attitude! In my experience, people who are that rude are miserable, whereas you have a beautiful son.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 14:40
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Psht, Bandito, Oregon's not far. I'll drive down and find her and kick her ass!

I do think it's mostly ignorance, but it does smack of malice.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 16:04
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

For that matter, smacking her would be worth a trip from North Dakota.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 16:24

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
Some people are just ignorant.
This reminds me of a time I went to a grocery store with my son. He was born with a WIDE bilateral cleft lip and palate. He was only a month or so old and had not yet had his first surgery. A lady in line behind me had the nerve to tap me on the shoulder and tell me that "thats what you get for taking drugs while you were pregnant!"
I was stunned and did not know what to say.......
I cried soo hard when I got out in the parking lot. The nerve of people.

I know how you feel. One of my twin daughters had a strawberry birthmark - a bright-red, raised circle - on her check. A neighbor turned us in to child protection services (saying we had burned her with a cigarette)...twice!

A second incident was less disturbing because it was so weird. A little old lady
told me I should be ashamed to bring my twins into public. She claimed twins were a sign of infidelity.

Some days you just can't win.

Last edited by judyr : Tue, Jan-24-06 at 16:26. Reason: spelling
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 16:36

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

Thanks guys....
I think the only reason I did not Hulk out on her is because I had some hormonal issues, lack of sleep ect. (baby blues)
I know that this was a case extream ignorance or malice.
I guess that the point I am trying to make is that some people will always feel need to comment on somthing that they have no idea about (whatever the topic).
As the saying goes: Opinions are like butts, everyone has one.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 17:39
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysabella
Psht, Bandito, Oregon's not far. I'll drive down and find her and kick her ass!
Want to carpool? And there's a few others from Oly around here we could gather up...

Wyv
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 20:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I can see it now, a bunch of low carbers kicking some rude woman butt in Oregon, getting thrown in jail...
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 20:18
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm sure PCRM would jump on that. I can see the headline now...

"Low Carbing Causes Violent Outbreak in Oregon. Innocent Old Lady Dies of Head Inj...We mean HEART ATTACK!"
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 20:34

Plan: My Own Evil Plan
Stats: 260.0/250/130 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I can see it now, a bunch of low carbers kicking some rude woman butt in Oregon, getting thrown in jail...

I'm on it!
  #75   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-06, 23:12

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritof72
This just reminded me of another similar incident that I was an amused witness to. I was standing in a long line at a store waiting to pay, and the woman behind me had several kids with her, one of whom was a girl of about 8 chewing happily on a wad of pink gum. The elderly woman behind them touched the little girl on the shoulder and said, "can I tell you something that I wish someone had told me when I was your age? You shouldn't chew gum! It's so bad for your teeth and mouth and you'll sure wish you hadn't ever chewed it when you grow up!"

Gahhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It would have been more effective if the old lady, took her dentures out, lent down smiled toothlessly at the kid!

If I was a kid and I saw that, I'd drop that candy pretty quick! LOL