Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 20:48

Plan: Meat, Fat, Water
Stats: 430/418/350 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego
I also switched from LC to LF this week. I am on my 5th day of WW and I feel like I am about to lose my flipping mind! My butt is back on Atkins tomorrow, that is for sure. I can't do this LF crap. I had all the sugar out of my body and then I do this LF stuff and my weight loss has stalled, my mood swings are OUT OF CONTROL, and my carb cravings are back!! I seriously feel like I am FREAKING out. I could care less if I ever have a grain of sugar, gram of carb or a single speck of bread again. I am getting up in the morning and starting my darn day with a sausage patty, scrambled egg and some cheddar cheese. Then I am throwing that LF sugar filled cheese in the trash. It will probably take a week to get my moodiness and carb cravings back under control. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

A clean induction should do the trick.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 05:44

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Any diet that emphasizes fresh, real food in moderate quantities, and a lifestyle including exercise, will work very well.

Unfortunately, many if not most people go straight for the shortcuts: "low-fat" or "low-carb" snacks and prepared foods, etc. Where do you think WW, Atkins, Jenny Craig, etc. really make money? It's in over-priced products.

I was very successful losing weight (50 lbs) on low-fat/low-cal. I kept it off for about five years, until the Weight Creep caught up with me. That's a very difficult routine to sustain over time. Atkins has given me a new strategy that works (for me) much better. My calories stay well within a moderate range, only now the higher percentage comes from fat. I eat fresh foods--absolutely no junk--and I exercise every day. Nothing "faddish" about it.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 09:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/219/135 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Started with Atkins...

The only time in my life that I was in terrific shape was when I did a low fat lifestyle. I have been losing on Atkins and I know it makes little sense to switch but for me, when I start adding in anything other than the meat, cheese, lettuce, or pork rinds, I stall or gain. Even when I don't go over 20 grams a day with it. I cannot just eat those few things. I hate chewing on a piece of steak for a snack. I am getting irritable because I have to cook everything I eat. I used to love cooking..now it is a chore. My mouth tastes horrible and my throat is scratchy. My back, shoulders, and face are breaking out something fierce. I am resentful of my husband and kids. I have literally woke up terrified from dreaming that I licked my finger after getting chocolate syrup on it from making dessert for the kids. I have found myself screaming at the kids for eating any of "my" food. I don't have the money to buy enough meats, cheeses, fish, etc. for everyone to eat it all day. I have nearly lost it when I have woken up only to find that my 5 year old son had gotten up earlier and eaten my breakfast which was prepared and in the fridge. I thought I was irritable when I quit smoking but this is definitely worse. I need a middle ground. I have been reading the Carbohydrate Addicts Diet for a Healthy Heart and am wondering about that. It is based on many of the same principles as Atkins (which I do believe in) but one time a day you get to eat a more well rounded meal in correct proportions. Also, my doctor is not quite sure if it is a good idea to take in soooo much protein when I have a history of kidney stones (twice in five years).
I also still believe that the only way to lose and look good doing it is to exercise. That is a huge factor which cannot be denied in any diet. I know when I was LF that it was the exercise that trully made the difference.
It was much easier doing Atkins years ago before kids....I had more time to work out recipes and no one stole my food. I used to be quite proud of myself for the ideas I came up with. Then I got pregnant and the diet went by the wayside. Thanks for letting me share my stream of consciousness.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 09:50

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Jacq, it's clear that no single eating plan works well for everyone. The trick is finding the one that works--and also provides a sustainable lifestyle. If it isn't enjoyable, one way or another, NOBODY can keep doing it, whatever "It" is.

Wish you the best.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 10:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Lf

I did lose some weight on a forced low fat diet - I had a gallbladder attack and elected to change my diet vs. surgery. I ate almost no fat for about a year. Interesing thing is that I only lost a couple of pounds - my doctor was very surprised that weight didn't just fall off.

Now keep in mind that if I so much a looked at any fat, my gallbladder would go crazy and the pain of that is like nothing else, so I REALLY COULDN'T CHEAT!!

Another point that has been mentioned is the crazy blood sugar flux - enough to make you feel like your going to pass out. I think transitioning thru the 1st phase of Atkins is the hardest part. Based on all the successes this site shows, Atkins seems like the easiest way out.