Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 05:08
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
This is the "core" muscle stuff that Pilates people talk about, and some of the other balancing exercise routines. Working all the tiny little muscles that keep us vertical when we want to be; that don't get much exercise outside of a few basic motions. When you're bouncing, they're working like mad to bring you back to balance, and so you hurt in ways you don't normally.

Supposed to be better for your old age, too, and any time old muscles learn new activities is a good thing.

Excellent, well at least I'll be building the right muscles then!

I managed 15 minutes which was a mini triumph for me today! I was really happy that I got past the warm up/beginers phase and onto the second one, but I am listening to my body and if it hurts I stop or just bounce a little for a while till I feel a bit stronger and then I carry on.

How is everyone else doing?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 07:08

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default I'm shopping

I haven't been a rebounder but this post has got my attention. BF found one for himself at Dick's for $30 and I'll be in town tomorrow and hope they still have them on sale. (BF couldn't fit two in his 2005 Mustang...)

Need something for when it's raining and I can't get outside to hoop. Can't hoop indoors since I broke the lamp...
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-06, 07:12
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_carver
Can't hoop indoors since I broke the lamp...

That's the kind of thing I would do!!

I think it's a really good form of excersise, I am only working out my lower body right now because as I said before I need to learn how to co-ordinate my legs and arms....bit like rubbing your tummy while patting your head, that was always something I could never do! But I am hopeful that when I master the art of bouncing without feeling like I am going to keel over (and it's coming on slowly each time I do it) then I will add in some hand weights I bought ages ago and never used. That way, I'll be getting a reasonable workout all over, and it's better to try to do something for all parts of my body than just the lower half.

This time on it when I managed 15 minutes, it felt easier and I felt a lot more out of breath and hot, so I'm guessing that's a good thing!

Good luck if you do get one
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 11:03

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Hey all you jumpers! I have a question, since i'm quite heavy, i'm afraid to jump high enough to put air between me and the rebounder mat. so i've been only gently bouncing w/o my feet leaving the mat. Will rebounding still work this way or are you all "high jumpers"?
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 13:46

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default What's your heart doing?

1. What weight is your rebounder rated to?

2. What really matters is what happens to your heart rate. If it's getting up, you're getting a workout. If not, you're not.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 13:49

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

thanks for your comment, 1. i don't know what it's rated to as it's an old one from my dad.

2. i'm so out of shape that my heart does beat pretty fast.

thanks, i think i'll keep up with what i'm doing until i feel more confident that i won't break the thing and/or lose weight.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-10, 06:04

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'm keen on rebounding. I usually just do variations of the health bounce, and thoroughly enjoy it. I don't have scientific proof, but am convinced it helps me a great deal in not gaining weight.

I find it increases strength, improves balance and posture, as well as all the cellular and metabolic benefits.

Hope to "see" some others in this thread soon.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Oct-13-10, 07:47

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

I had to look up "health bounce" and thought this was a really good link to check out:
http://www.healingdaily.com/exercise/rebounding-for-detoxification-and-health.htm

"Everyone should start with the gentle "health bounce" which means your feet remain IN CONTACT with the mat while the body moves up and down. The health bounce is sufficient to obtain all the benefits of rebounding while gently strengthening the entire body. The health bounce can be done while talking on the phone, listening to podcasts on your ipod or watching TV. It is recommended that you do your rebounding with bare feet so you do not slip."

I haven't used my rebounder in years....but I think I'll get back on it now.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-10, 17:34

BF:

Galatia, did you start jumping again?

I so enjoy it, and the results.

Anyone else keen on rebounding?
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-10, 18:11

BF:

Hi Em. Hopefully tomorrow I will. I really like your signature quotes. Especially the filter one. I try to remember to ask myself those things before speaking.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Oct-14-10, 18:49

BF:

Galatia, thank you for the kind thoughts.

I pulled out my rebounder again a few months ago, after ignoring it for a couple of years. I'm sorry I took such a long break. I do variations of the health bounce for various lengths of time each day, and once in a while, have my feet off the mat for a bit. I jump much more gently than I did when I started thirty years ago, but enjoy it just as thoroughly.

Am up late, so will wish you a very restful night.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-10, 06:01

BF:

Em, a few years ago I did rebounder several times a week and loved it. However, my rebounder is...oh wow...about 30 years old, and the springs started breaking! It was still usable last time I was on it...however "adventure jumping" isn't as fun. I need to be looking for a new one. But in the meantime, I do intend to go ahead and use it....very carefully.

Do you plan to start a journal here?
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-10, 06:17

BF:

Hi, Galatia. Yes, for adventure jumping, one of the new rebounders would be grand. The rebounder I use currently was one I got at a church thrift store, and looks as though someone bought a good one, tried it once, and gave it away. It's good for what I do.

I have no current intention to start a journal. I like rebounding and Callanetics, and was glad to find existing threads for those things.

My chores are calling. Hope your morning is especially nice.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Oct-15-10, 06:29

BF:

I love thrift store finds.
I did Callanetics for a while many years ago. I still have the tapes and book somewhere around here.
Well, maybe we'll meet up again on some thread. Or you can visit my journal if you'd like. I'm thinking we might be close in age.

Hope you have a great day...and happy jumping.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Oct-18-10, 19:34

BF:

I'm still surprised there aren't more rebounding folks here. It is such a pleasant balance to Callanetics, walking, and gardening for me. I watched a couple of television programs from circa 1950 at archive.org today while exercising.

If you're thinking of trying one of the mini-trampolines, they can often be found in good condition at a thrift store or a garage sale for less than $10. Mine has an excellent mat and springs, sturdy legs, and is so enjoyable to use.

I'm sure one could spend a few hundred. Many rebounders come with folding legs, and even a bar to hold onto for folks who need that for stability.

Sending everyone best wishes for a restful night.