Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 15:45

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Inside steps

Hi Mike,

I'm with you - hate aerobics tapes! If I can't get outside, I just do steps in my apartment...which doesn't have steps. Here's my great solution: I dump my dumbbells into my ice chest so it's pretty stable, and then I just do stairs on it for 20-30 minutes. Pretty boring, but it gets the job done.

Dani
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 17:47

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default good one ...

Good idea Dani ... Never thought of that ...

Jumping rope is GREAT indoor cardio ... and the equipment is cheap too.

Some biking shops sell indoor trainers for your bike that will allow you to use your bike inside. I'm sure you could find a store on-line that carries one ... or go to your local biking/cycling shop.

That's a few off of the top of my head ...

I also don't do the "dancy" cardio stuff ... But I will do kickboxing/cardio kick/Tae-bo classes. Less choreography, more "man" stuff. Fern will tell you, I am not the greatest dancer.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-02, 18:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/208/140
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default This Newbie Needs Help!!!

Dan~

I'm a newbie to the whole weight lifting scene. I've watched my father work his way up the ladder and bench over 750, but I've never been a free weight fan. I like the treadmill and would love to go to the gym. Unfortunately I've got 2 little ones at home and don't have suitable daycare while mommy works out. Are there any machines, techniques that you can recommend that can be done at home and are safe around kids? Don't want kids getting their fingers stuck in the spokes of a stationary bike or anything like that!!! I work with nearly all women, and they all seem to have different machines for working out and none can agree on which is more effective. Right now weight loss and building muscle mass are the most important to me. We'll worry about toning when I've got somethin' to tone!!! So like I said, I've got time in the evening to work out but need some idea on what types of machines, programs, techniques work effectively. There are 1000 machines out there that claim to tone this that and the other thing... but I don't feel the need to waste money on a machine that I find only targets 2 muscles groups while another cheaper model could have targeted and trained more.
And you said that you need 1 - 1.5 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight? Don't you mean lean muscle mass? Since it's the muscles that you're working and require the protein to maintain themselves (though, your entire body needs protein)
Anyhow, I just want some ideas on good "at home" machines that would work effectively to increase muscle mass. My father has the bowflex machine and I think it looks pretty nifty for the price But how well does it work and can it target all major muscle groups??? Thanks for all the great advice!! Almost like having our own personal trainer HE HE HE

~ Jamie ~
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 18:54

Default ok

Bowflex is pricey, but very very good. get that if you can swing the $$.

As for cardio work, you should be able to pick up an elliptical trainer for $135 - $150. No spokes, pretty self contained, and NO IMPACT on your knees. Burns alot of calories too.

Your dad benched 750?!?! Wow.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 18:56

Default protein

I meant 1.0 - 1.5 g per lb. of bodyweight. I like to go high on protein, plus on LC diets some of the protein will be used for energy so you will need to take in more to account for that.

Start at 1.0-1.5 per lb. of LBM, then work your way up to 1.0-1.5 per lb. of BW.

That's my way of thinking, but to each their own.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 14:02

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Stupid questions

Sorry to bug you Dan, but I have some basic beginner questions.

1) How do I know when I've reached "muscle failure"? Is it when I feel the extreme lactic acid burn? When my arms (or whatever) start shaking badly, I'm making ugly faces, and I can only do this rep at 1/3 the speed that I was doing before? A book says "until you can't do any more." But it seems with enough teeth-gritting and trembling, I can always do one more. Are you supposed to do crunches to muscle failure too? (Ow!)

2) I am trying to follow the advice given in this forum -- 20 - 30 min cardio on an elliptical or stair climber/4 - 5 days a week and resistance on machines 3 times/week, some overlapping days. I'm also adding some wind sprints to the cardio (as per Nat and Covert Bailey) -- these give me a good lactic acid burn in the thighs. So should I be concerned about giving more of a recovery period to my thighs? Between the cardio and resistance, my thighs are getting hit about 5 - 6 days/week (sometimes twice a day) .

Thank you in advance for your time in replying.

Allison
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 16:09

Default answers

Going to POSITIVE muscle failure is what most people mean by "going to failure". POsitive msucle failure is doing an exercise until you can't complete another in good form. Even if they are slow, as long as form is good, you are still working at it.

Normally, cardio work isn't counted as hitting the muscle groups, as you are not training to build the muscle during cardio work. However, if your legs are sore from cardio, rest them until they have recovered. Eventually, they will adapt to the load placed upon them and you will be able to maintain a frequent cardio work schedule.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 20:42

Stats: 338/300/190
BF:
Progress: 26%

This is a great thread--glad to see all the helpful advice. I have a beginner workout question too. I don't have the stamina to be able to do even 20 minute at a high heart rate. (I get exhausted if I go for long at my target rate.) To build up my staming to the point where I can do it, is it better to do cardio for 20 minute or longer at a lower heart rate, or, is better to get my heart rate up to my target for as long as I can?
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 05:32

Default ???

Is there an underlying health problem that is affecting your stamina, or is it a case of just rebuilding your workout endurance?
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 09:20

Stats: 338/300/190
BF:
Progress: 26%

Plenty of underlying health problems, but none that are likely to be effecting this particular difficulty. I think it's just too many years of being really sedentary and being pretty out of shape.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 14:42

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Another beginner question

Hi,

I checked the Weiders' new book out of the library and began reading last night. One thing they stress is the importance of abdominal breathing instead of chest breathing. (For other newbies reading this, they also said: exhale while contracting muscles; inhale while elongating muscles; keep your mouth open; never hold your breath while lifting).

So I was thinking about this on the elliptical this morning and noticed that I was definitely doing chest breathing instead of abdominal breathing. It seemed like far too much to think about while "running". Does the abdominal breathing advice apply to aerobic exercise too? Or is it just for lifting?

Thanks,

Allison
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 07:17

Default be natural

During cardio, breathe however it comes naturally to you. Just breathe. LOL.

Good point about the breathing during weight training. It really doesn't become an issue until you are straining, but nevertheless, it is a good habit to learn.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 07:20

Default Virginia ...

Virginia ...

Sorry it took so long to respond. It gets crazy in here sometimes.

The best bet would be for you to work at a light intensity and build from there. If you are going for 20 mins, go light for 15 mins, then hit your "zone" for 30 seconds, then go back to "light duty".

Each week, increase your "time in zone" by 30 seconds ... It will take a while, but using this process of small increments you will be able to sustained zone training, and even intervals before you know it.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 16:39

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 173/150/135
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default elliptical trainers

Trainer Dan,

I went shopping for elliptical trainers today (I've never even been on one before) and I was shocked to find the average price was about $2000! This was for equipment that looks like it belongs in the gym. I wondered if I could even get these models through the door of my apartment. It seems I've heard you say elsewhere that I should be able to pick up an elliptical trainer for around $135-$150. I assume it would be used. Even so, does that mean it would be some sort of home model? And would it get the job done?

Thanks for your input.

Missydog
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 18:13

Default ellipticals

Yes, at $150 it would be a home-version. I would LOVE to have a LifeFitness Crosstrainer in my apartment, but the $2200 price tag hurts too much.

Check on E-bay, or any of the links that our board here partners with, and look for elliptical trainers.

Orbitrek makes a decent home model.

Stay away from the Cyclone brand. Working out on that thing is what I imagine hell to be like for bad personal trainers. LOL. Too hard. Yes, I said that. Not a good buy. I rate it and the middle finger if we had such an icon.

A home model will get the job done ...