Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 22:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%
Default Turkey Rollups

Gulp - this is a bit daunting. I found this site because of Karen's cookbook, which saved my LC life. My SO is a good cook and had become very weary of the LC thing until we started doing recipes from that book (I will never be able to thank you enough for that, Karen!)

This is a recipe for turkey wraps that I created - not good for induction, but they didn't seem to hurt me in OWL or the lifetime maintenance phases. They're really simple, and even non-LC'ers like these a lot.

Turkey Rollups

Makes 32 slices.

Four 10" low-carb tortillas
250 grams Herb and Garlic cream cheese
16 slices (about 500 grams) turkey breast
1 bunch green scallions
4 tsp chopped fresh tarragon

1. Cut off the green tops of the scallions. Trim to 10" lengths, if necessary.

2. Per wrap: spread 1/4 of the cream cheese evenly over the wrap, leaving about a 1" margin uncovered at the top. Distribute 4 slices of turkey breast evenly over the cream cheese. Spread 1/4 of the green scallion tops evenly over the bottom third of the wrap. Sprinkle with 1 tsp of tarragon.

3. Roll the tortilla tightly and then roll it tightly again in plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for at least one hour.

4. Slice each wrap diagonally into 8 pieces.

You can do a salmon version of this by substituting 4 pieces of lox for the 4 slices of turkey, salmon cream cheese for the garlic and herb, and including some capers to taste.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-06, 18:28

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Mmmmmm, these sound delicious! I bet they would be good with crepes, too - we can't buy LC tortillas here and they're a bit of a pain to make.
I love Karen's book, too - I bought it for myself for Christmas.
Babs
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 12:52

BF:

Crepes are a great idea! In fact, they might be better than the tortillas, particularly with the salmon version. I've got a recipe for flourless crepes (they're mostly egg, held together with some Thick/Not Thin cornstarch substitute) - I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 18:22

Plan: PPLP
Stats: 235/179/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:lots/less/<20%
Progress: 51%

these also work well as individual wraps. lay out the turkey, spread the cc directly, sprinkle with herbs and roll up *cigar-style*. Use a lettuce leaf as another inner layer. you leave these whole. they aren't as party decorative as pinwheels, but tasty for an afternoon snack.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-06, 11:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS
these also work well as individual wraps. lay out the turkey, spread the cc directly, sprinkle with herbs and roll up *cigar-style*. Use a lettuce leaf as another inner layer. you leave these whole. they aren't as party decorative as pinwheels, but tasty for an afternoon snack.

Great suggestion, thanks

I often do something like that for a fast lunch - roll thin-sliced ham around a piece of swiss, some strips of red bell pepper and romaine or spinach. Messy eating, but they would hold together better if I used cream cheese.