Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-05, 23:14

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

I bought a set of cups when I first began baking LC stuff, but I have to say that they frustrate the life out of me! The fact that a cup of something may vary so much depending on how packed it is and can impact quite a lot on some recipes is something I've found to my cost. Add to that the anomaly in terms of cup sizes (some are 250 ml size and others are 227 mls) means that you never know what size the recipe writer has used.
I really think that weighing the ingredients is the best method to ensure success and a consistent result every time. But I sympathise with those who are used to cups .....
Babs
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-05, 23:22
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by greannmhar
I bought a set of cups when I first began baking LC stuff, but I have to say that they frustrate the life out of me! The fact that a cup of something may vary so much depending on how packed it is and can impact quite a lot on some recipes is something I've found to my cost. Add to that the anomaly in terms of cup sizes (some are 250 ml size and others are 227 mls) means that you never know what size the recipe writer has used.
I really think that weighing the ingredients is the best method to ensure success and a consistent result every time. But I sympathise with those who are used to cups .....
Babs

thats why I invested in a good digital scale....it takes all the guess work out of it.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-05, 21:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgirl
Kevin, did that company (Wilderness Family Naturals) ever clarify whether the Coconut Flour is 100% natural coconut ground fine OR if it is what's left (a kind of 100% natural pomace) after the coconut oil is expeller pressed or whatever...?
Makes a big difference and explains the variation in the nutritional information between natural 100% whole coconut and the Flour product...hmmmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
I bought both the coconut flour and the dehydrated raw unsweetened small coconut flakes. According to the 2 labels there is no nutritional differences.

Wait on closer look they are not the same.....different serving sizes fool me for a min. Things have been removed and added and it says Coconut Flour/Fiber.

Eh? Sorry, Kevin, but I can't tell from here what the difference is between the labels. I already have the info from the Nutrition Facts on the "Coconut Flour" as you posted and it's clearly different from the info I have on several packages of "100% Raw/Pure Coconut".

I'd really like to know if you asked the company if the Coconut Flour is made from dried, ground coconut 'pomace'...I can contact NutsForU and if you haven't already Wilderness Family Naturals but you might get a better answer being WFN customer.

PS: I have a file of coconut "flour" recipes I recently pulled from public domain (published on the web in the open and all attributed where the info is provided. Would you like that set, too? They mostly differ from what's published here so far.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-05, 23:18
Kitchen Experimenter

I'm sorry for the confusion. Yes I did ask Wilderness Family Naturals but did not get a response as of yet, I suspect because of the holidays.

I will wait a day or 2 and call the # i have for them and ask them over the phone.

And yes I would like to see those recipes if you do not mind.

I like the flour and I'm sure when I become more familiar with it i'll get better at using it. It is just different from anything I've used up to this point.
  #65   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 02:00
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/reviews/coconut_flour.htm

Cooking with Coconut Flour
by Bruce Fife ND

I'd had no idea that Coconut Flour even existed till Bruce sent me a copy of this book.

If you thought that Coconut Oil was something, wait till you read about Coconut Flour.

Dr Fife points out right away that coconut flour is high in fiber and low in carbohydrates. In fact, coconut flour is highest in dietary fiber of all flours.

Lack of fiber in our American diet has been indicated in our most common colon disorders from diverticulitis, to Crohn’s disease, to Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and even to colon cancer. Digestion needs fiber, plain and simple.

If you are gluten sensitive, coconut flour might be just right for you. Coconut flour contains no gluten. In fact, it contains no sticky protein to hold it together. This is also why Bruce’s book is so important, because prior to this, all recipes with coconut flour only substituted 25% coconut flour for the other flours.

Coconut flour will just fall apart if you substitute it 100% for another flour. However, Bruce found that if you add eggs to the recipe, you can use 100% coconut flour in a recipe. It turns out (I discovered running through the recipes) that you can add one egg per ounce of coconut flour (on the average).

So, because of this new information and my eagerness to try coconut flour, I modified the Omega-Muffin recipes and used coconut flour instead of whole wheat flour. The Banana Chocolate Chip muffin uses 8 eggs while the Pumpkin Raisin muffin uses 10 eggs. Both recipes are now charged with lots of fiber (from the Omegasentials and coconut flour), charged with omega-3 fatty acids (from the Omegasentials and the free range eggs), and charged with protein (from the eggs).

One more thing I must pass onto you is Bruce’s recipe for greasing the pan. I’ve used butter and I’ve used coconut oil, but he mixes coconut oil with lecithin and I can report that this combo is perfect. Nothing sticks.

If you want to add some fiber to your diet, you’re wheat sensitive, or just want to try something new, you have to have this book. Oh, and don’t forget to get some coconut flour from Wilderness Family Naturals; they’re our single source for coconut products.

Last edited by surfer376 : Sun, Jan-01-06 at 09:29.
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-06, 02:04
Lovin' The GI Diet!

Plan: YOU: On A Diet
Stats: 250.0/231.0/160 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Coconut Chocolate Yummies

2 and one half cups Splenda®
2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
one half cup margarine
one half cup "LC Milk" (1/4 c cream + 1/4 c water)
1 teaspoon vanilla
one half cup creamy peanut butter
3 cups of Low Carb Nexus® Coconut Flour (lightly "toast" first for a different texture!)

Mix Splenda®, cocoa, margarine and milk in saucepan. Bring to a boil (stir constantly). Boil for EXACTLY one minute (do not overcook). Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla. When peanut butter is evenly spread throughout mixture, add the coconut. Stir to coat evenly. Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper. Chill in refrigerator. Enjoy! Makes about 20 "yummies" depending on size.
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 01:02
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm sorry for the confusion. Yes I did ask Wilderness Family Naturals but did not get a response as of yet, I suspect because of the holidays.

I will wait a day or 2 and call the # i have for them and ask them over the phone.

I like the flour and I'm sure when I become more familiar with it i'll get better at using it. It is just different from anything I've used up to this point.

Greetings and Happy New Year, Kevin!

Ok, I actually sent out an email all of 1.5 days ago (yes, midafternoon on New Years Day!) and I sent it to Wilderness Family, Simply Coconut, and Nuts4U. The only one who hasn't responded is Wilderness Family, but then I was very surprised to get such a speedy response from the other two

Now here's the interesting bits (so far):

Simply Coconut is defatted coconut (essentially, yes, coconut pomace) and that's why it's called Coconut Flour and it has such low net carbs AND such high fiber, as well as the much lower fat content. They have their Nutrition Facts posted right on the website (and they make it clear it's defatted). ****

Nuts4U is 100% raw dessicated/dried coconut (no, not coconut pomace) and probably shouldn't therefore be called Coconut Flour; it, too has low net carbs, but not as much fiber per ounce of product, as well as the much higher fat content. They do not have their Nutrition Facts posted right on the website, nor on the bag(!) but as it is not a processed food, they don't have to (but then they shouldn't really call it Coconut Flour, either). * {really really annoying, because I bought this one based on their longstanding reputation}

We have yet to hear from Wilderness Family Naturals (and I didn't get an email back from them ever on another matter a month ago, so I'm not holding my breath), but their Nutrition Facts and nomenclature are in line with the Simply Coconut brand, so I suspect it's the same thing, coconut pomace...though it would be nice if this could be confirmed.
  #68   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 01:29
Kitchen Experimenter

Well I didn't get a reply from Wilderness Family yesterday so some time this morning I plan on calling them to ask the question. I'll let you know what they say.
  #69   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 10:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Just curious, what is the calorie amount on coconut flour (the defatted variety)?
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 10:50
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Ok, I actually sent out an email all of 1.5 days ago (yes, midafternoon on New Years Day!) and I sent it to Wilderness Family, Simply Coconut, and Nuts4U. The only one who hasn't responded is Wilderness Family, but then I was very surprised to get such a speedy response from the other two .

Happy New Year Jude,

ok, i just called Wilderness Family and they assured me that they remove nothing from the coconut when making their flour. She said it contains 14% coconut oil and it 100% coconut. Maybe I'm not asking the right questions but here is their questions # 800-945-3801 .....they answered right away when I call 11 am eastern time.

Nanc,

the Wilderness Family flour that i have is 217 calories for 50g.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 10:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok, I looked up the coconut flour "Simply Coconut" and it is 26 calories for 2 Tbl (14 grams) so it comes out to 93 calories per 50g. I think 50g would be 7 Tablespoons so very nearly 1/2 a cup.

Calorie-wise that is a bargain! I'm gonna get me some of that!

Urgh... Simply Coconut's shipping prices are insane. Any other source for the pomace type of coconut flour?

Later: NM I ordered it from them. Hope it is good, I got 6 pounds worth and some coconut oil to boot.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Tue, Jan-03-06 at 11:28.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 11:39
Kitchen Experimenter

I'm waiting for the book. It should be here tomorrow or the next day. And as soon as my gluten gets here I can try Babs muffin recipe.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 18:35

Plan: Protein Power/a la carte!
Stats: -/-/150 Female 66 inches
BF:Yes!
Progress: 49%

Be sure to let them cool before trying them - for some reason, they firm up nicely in the fridge after baking. It may be something to do with the coconut/linseed mix plumping up, but I find they actually improve with age (like all good things/people ).
Babs
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 23:00
Registered Member

Quote:
Happy New Year Jude,

ok, i just called Wilderness Family and they assured me that they remove nothing from the coconut when making their flour. She said it contains 14% coconut oil and it 100% coconut. Maybe I'm not asking the right questions but here is their questions # 800-945-3801 .....they answered right away when I call 11 am eastern time.

Nanc,

the Wilderness Family flour that i have is 217 calories for 50g.

Hmmmmph, the USDA database has Coconut Meat, Dessicated, Unsweetened at a whopping 81.84% of the calories from fats, which is why it's such a great source for oil, eh? But that's certainly a long long way from 14%, and Coconut "Flour" is a processed product, not a raw unaltered ingredient, so SOMETHING should have been done to it ...

Still no response to my email; I'll see if I can call them from here (US 800 numbers don't always work from Canada, depends if they have customers here or not, or want them ) -- tomorrow morning.

BTW, for everybody out there, the reason I'm so fussed about the differences, is that the almost 70% difference in fat content (and relative fiber content, and fineness of grind for that matter) is likely to make a VERY big difference in how the stuff reacts in recipes...

So far it looks like 3 different kinds of 'coconut flour', so-called, are being sold out there, without any differentiation and with bad labelling. Irks my business and culinary soul!
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 23:10
Kitchen Experimenter

I got my coconut cookbook today. I made cheese cracker this evening and they turned out wonderful. crispy and cheesey.......yum.