Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 19:44

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Magnesium in your diet could lead to stronger bones

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...l-miy122105.php

Intake of magnesium through diet and supplements is positively associated with bone density throughout the whole body, particularly in older white adults, according to research published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. Researchers say the effects are similar to that of calcium. Over 2,000 black and white men and women ages 70-79 years old were asked to complete a questionnaire to determine how much magnesium they were receiving from food and various supplements. Additionally, researchers performed bone mineral density tests on the participants.

The study revealed that those who ingested more magnesium had significantly higher bone density than those who got the least amount of magnesium. For every 100 milligram per day increase in magnesium intake, data showed a 1% increase in bone density.

However, this link was only true for the older white men and women. Previous research has demonstrated that black men and women may process vitamin D and other calcium regulating hormones differently than whites, thus possibly explaining the lack of association between magnesium and bone density among them in this study.

"Although this [1% increase] seems small, increases across a population may have large public health impact," states lead researcher Kathryn M. Ryder.

The recommended daily allowance of magnesium is 320 mg/day for women and 420/mg day for men in this age group. Most people in this age group get far less than this daily amount.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-05, 23:57

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

The Eades are very big on Magnesium.....to the point in PPLP they say if they could only take 1 supplement it would be magnesium. They also point out that we take in way too much calcium without magnesium....and that's because calcium has the dairy industry to push it, while mg has nothing! (Gotta have vit d for those bones too.....but they suggest sunbathing as taking supplements can easily lead to overdose.)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 06:30
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...l-miy122105.php
However, this link was only true for the older white men and women. Previous research has demonstrated that black men and women may process vitamin D and other calcium regulating hormones differently than whites, thus possibly explaining the lack of association between magnesium and bone density among them in this study.
Maybe that's because black men and women need more D? It's the D AND magnesium working together that make muscles strong. If you don't have enough D, all the magnesium in the world won't do you any good.

I doubt they tested anyone's D levels.

I understand why they do these single supplement studies but I hate the fact that they do. Nutrients are synergistic and work in tandom; one alone without the support of the others that are necessary spells failure. Failure they then blame on the supplement.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 08:50
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

I take magnesium supplement because while reading through all of Dr Atkins books, I kept hearing over and over "magnesium" and thought it was important.

From page 119 of Atkins Vita nutrients

Quote:
Magnesium is scientifically established as the heart's most important mineral. Most than three hundred different enzymes in the body depend on the mineral, yet some 80 percent of all Americans fail to consume as much as they need.

Dr Atkins goes on to talk about it helps with cardiovascular disease, acute heart attack, blood sugar disorders, high blood pressure, pregnancy complications, mitral valve prolapse, asthma, migraines, fibromyalgia, brain function, strength training, premenstrual tension, cancer -- and then goes into sleep, infactions, cramps, kidney stones, claudication, etc.

No wonder I started taking it!

Under supplement dosage -- he talks about the different forms and says that magnesium oxide is the LEAST desireable form. One great method is to soak your feet in epsom salts (magnesium sulfate).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 14:01

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

Chocolate cravings have their purpose then! I'm not fighting it - a strong hot cocoa with cream and AS once or twice a day...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-22-05, 14:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

So, I was looking up magnesium toxicity, it can be but you'll probably get diarrhea long before you get the other issues, and one of the things it said about magnesium is that it is antagonistic to calcium. Meaning, magnesium keep you from utilizing calcium properly.

Quote:
Calcium and magnesium levels need to be maintained in balance since they have an antagonistic relationship. An excess of one implies a need for the other to maintain balance.

Oral osmotic laxatives often contain magnesium which reduces calcium absorption. The long-term use of such products may result in a calcium deficiency.

A high intake of magnesium might impair absorption and use of calcium.

Found at diagnose-me.com when I searched on Magnesium toxicity.

Now I"m concerned about taking magnesium supplements.