Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 09:54
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%
Default Eat more veggies, less red meat to keep BP in check

Eat more veggies, less red meat to keep BP in check
Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:38 PM GMT
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Consumption of vegetables, fruits, and other plant foods seems to reduce the risk of elevated blood pressure, whereas intake of meat raises the risk, according to a report in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition for December.

Several reports have shown similar associations, but few studies have specifically addressed this topic in young adults, lead author Dr. Lyn M. Steffen, from the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis, and colleagues note.

They evaluated the 15-year incidence of elevated blood pressure -- defined as BP of at least 130 over 85 or use of a BP lowering agent -- in 4300 subjects, comprising roughly equal numbers of black and white men and women, between 18 and 30 years of age at baseline. Dietary assessments were conducted at enrollment and at 15 years into the study.

As plant food intake rose, the risk of elevated blood pressure fell, the report indicates. Relative to the lowest quintile of intake, the second through fifth quintiles of intake cut the risk from 27% to 36%, respectively.

Just the opposite trend was seen with meat intake, whereas dairy consumption did not seem to have a consistent effect on blood pressure, the investigators found.

These results, the authors conclude, suggest that greater plant food intakes and lower meat intakes as part of a habitual diet may prevent the development of high blood pressure, a major risk factors for heart disease.

SOURCE: American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, December 2005.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/new...&archived=False
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 09:56
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Just when you think we are making progress .... a story like this comes out. What a crock of %#^$~.

As someone that was on blood pressure medication ... I stopped eating veggies and increased my consumption of red meat by about 10 times. My blood pressure is now normal, without medication, for the first time in my life.

I should also add that I do take supplements that I credit for about 1/2 of the success.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 12:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

k

Which supplements?

I find the supplement recomendations confusing. For one thing, there seem to be an unlimited number of supplements out there, each with their own proponents. Hard to know if any are really helpful or necessary...

I did use potassium when I started induction, and it seemed to prevent leg cramps. Haven't used it for 2 years, though.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 12:45
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

As usual, the study categorizes salty processed meats, such as bologna and hot dogs, as "red meat".

study abstract

Quote:
In subgroup analyses, risk of EBP was positively associated with red and processed meat intake, whereas it was inversely associated with intakes of whole grain, fruit, nuts, and milk.
I'm curious as to the fatty acid profile of the processed meat eaters. Previous epidemiological studies of this nature tend to show processed meat eaters also consume more margarine and snack foods made with partially hydrogenated oils.

Yet another piece of junk science, sensationalized by the media .

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 14:06

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Regarding the posted article...

Well, Shrek says it best, "what a load of crap!"

Pass the beef and don't spare the prions!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 14:58
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC FP
Which supplements?

I am Atkins tattooed so he said take supplements when doing his diet -- so I did it. I have learned a lot since then.

I recommend taking the best "mega" multivitamin that you can afford. Not the cheap one-a-day / Synergy type -- the good ones.

Then take Fish Oil or Omega 3s.

If you need help controlling cravings or losing weight -- next choice is chromium.

Then antioxidants, then if over age of 40, hormone stuff.

I guess I should have posted more links sooner.

http://www.vitacost.com/store/produ...earchBy=HL&ss=1
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 17:11
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

Good analysis, doreen. In some people processed meats will make their blood pressure skyrocket, because 10% or so of people are sensitive to salt, and process meats are loaded with it.

They seem to be lumping fruits and vegetables together, too. I don't think people should be eating bananas all day, thinking it'll lower their BP. Avocadoes, on the other hand...
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-18-05, 21:40

Plan: lc
Stats: 00/00/00 Male 00
BF:
Progress: 106%

here's the problem:
Quote:
Plant food intake (whole grains, refined grains, fruit, vegetables, nuts, or legumes) was inversely related to EBP after adjustment for age, sex, race, center, energy intake, cardiovascular disease risk factors, and other potential confounding factors.
they adjusted for caloric intake, but it doesn't appear that they adjusted for carbohydrate intake, which makes the analysis entirely worthless.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 07:28

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

"Quote: Plant food intake (whole grains, refined grains, fruit, vegetables, nuts, or legumes) was inversely related to EBP after adjustment for age, sex, race, center, energy intake, cardiovascular disease risk factors, and other potential confounding factors."

They kept adjusting and adjusting, until they got the data to come out like they wanted.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-19-05, 13:55

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

Refined grains? Why do they list these before vegetables? They're telling us that a big helping of pasta or white bread is better for us than a grass-fed beef steak????