Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 11:24
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Yes, I've been cold most of the time also. I attributed it to drinking 75-100 oz. of cold water throughout the day. Also, having moved to a 100 year old house that heat doesn't go upstairs in. I typically wear an undershirt, a t-shirt, a pajama top and a sweater with pajama bottoms and socks to bed. I'm getting an electric blanket for Christmas though!

Elihnig
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-25-01, 20:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/PP/Kiss
Stats: 160/120/110
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default a connection?

I also feel cold often, then I found this:

http://www.lowcarbnexus.com/superhydration.htm

"Here's a little-understood fact: As much as 85% of your daily heat loss emerges from your skin. Heat emerging from your skin is important because another word for heat is calories, and another word for calories is fat. That's right, most of your fat is lost through your skin in the form of heat. Anyway, the remaining 15% of that heat loss is divided between warm air coming from your lungs and warm fluid being passed out through the normal urination process.
Superhydration can double, triple, or even quadruple your urine production. As a result, you'll be able to eliminate more heat. Remember, inside your body, fat loss means heat loss."
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-26-01, 01:02

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Feeling cold?

Hi Chrissy,
I notice that my hands get icey cold right after I eat. I figured it had to do with digesting my food. Sometimes it is so uncomfortable I have to put on gloves and crawl under a blanket. But getting up and doing the dishes in warm water is a great way of dealing with the cold hands. I surprize my kids by touching their cheeks or necks with my hands and it makes them jump! Maybe it just takes more energy to digest low carb meals. It's good to know I'm not the only one. Victoria
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 12:30

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

Thanks for the very interesting article on water consumption, Zellie. It confirmed what I have always thought about water.

It also answered a question I had about water temp. I have tended to drink my water at room temp or just below but sometimes I drink it warm--especially when I am feeling cold. Going to try drinking it cold and see if that makes a difference and how it affects me when I am feeling cold.

Even as I type this my hands and feet are like iceblocks. Haven't had a shower yet so can't wait to get under the hot water.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 16:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Thanks Zellie, I feel much better knowing that!

Great article!

And Victoria, I'm always rubbing my cold feet against the hubby at night, he hates that! LOL
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 17:28
Registered Member

BF:

Chrissy, just noticed this with myself today.
I've been "extra cold" since I started adding a lot more water (quit smoking preparation). Last two days, I upped my calcium-magnesium intake since I was drinking so much more, didn't want to be lacking in calcium (leg cramps).
Tonite I'm barely shivering.

I was wearing silk t-shirt, cotton t-shirt, woollen sweater, sweat-shirt and a fleech vest and shivering. The indoor temp was 75F.
LOL!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Dec-27-01, 22:26

Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%
Default WOW!

I've never been a cold person either - they use to tease me about being such a "young person for all those hot flashes" but lately I've been freezing. Particullarly my hands and my feet. I sleep with two pillows over my feet across the blankets after I take a hot shower! Makes you wonder about all that goes on with my metabolism. I'm glad to hear other people voicing the same sypmtom, altho I know it is annoying to you all. I was beginning to wonder if I had a circulation problem!!!
MaryB
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Dec-28-01, 06:22
Registered Member

BF:
Default Quick update :)

This morning I had leg cramps (for me it means not enough calcium-magnesium). I think in my case there is a relationship between coldness, water intake, and calcium-magnesium levels.
If I up my water intake i have to watch the calcium very carefully and increase the quantity dramatically. I was cautious yesterday, didn't take enough.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Dec-30-01, 23:27
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Excellent!

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrissy
Oh Bill, your making me warm already!!! LOL
Excellent!
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 00:37

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default Hypothyroidism

Can anyone tell me what is normal?

Now I know why I've been so cold all those months and why I was gaining all that weight so fast. I’m officially diagnose with hypothyroidism (low thyroid) and will have to take a prescription for the rest of my life to control it.
I hate to take any med, but I guess I better, if its important for every cell in your body!

TSH 8.62*
FREE T4 9.5

Can someone explain these numbers, I had another test done last week, and don't have my result back yet, but I was wondering what numbers are normal, what range our you guys?

Take care
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-02, 07:47
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi Chrissy,

I posted this information to another member recently
  • The TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is an indirect, but generally accurate measure of thyroid function. TSH is produced in the pituitary gland ... and as the name implies, its job is to stimulate the thyroid gland to produce the thyroid hormones. If your body isn't getting enough thyroid hormone, the pituitary will secrete more TSH to nudge the thyroid gland into action. Thus a higher TSH level means low thyroid function. Conversely, a very low TSH suggests over-active thyroid. ("normal" TSH ranges from 0.5 to 5.5)

There's some suggestion that for women, a TSH of 2 or lower is more desirable, and higher than that may be an indicator of low thyroid function, especially if there are hypothyroid symptoms such as low body temp, dry skin, thinning hair, slow pulse rate, fatigue, difficulty losing weight, high cholesterol etc.

Measuring the free T4 and T3 thyroid hormone levels along with the TSH will give a more accurate picture than just the TSH alone. If you have symptoms but the dr. won't prescribe treatment based on the "normal" TSH result, it would be worth having the other tests done.
Normal range for free T4 (FT4) is 0.7 to 2.0 --- There's another T4 measurement called Total T4 .. the normal range for that is 4.0 to 12.5.

Here's a chart from the about.com Thyroid site, that lists lab values for thyroid blood tests.

Hope the dr. gets to the bottom of things and you're feeling better soon

Doreen
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 02:21

Plan: Dukan
Stats: 229/185/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 59%

What an interesting thread!!
Ive always felt the cold hate hate hate it!!!
I am far colder than i ever have been at this time of the year. For the past week or two ive been noticing it.
In the winter my hands and feet go numb quite often , and my feet and hands are like ice blocks in bed at night.
It is only Autumn (its 17 c) and I am begging hubby to get fire wood in cos its just so damn cold and the shops all still have their airconditioning on .
Hubby says you could scald a pig in the baths I have yes I love heat. Im putting the eletric blanket on the bed.

I have never had my thyroid checked , but maybe I should.
I will look on the net for a list of the symptoms.

Last edited by Bloom : Mon, Apr-01-02 at 03:12.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 13:45

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up Thyroxine - Spread the dose

I had an interesting chat with my homeopath today. I was telling her how I could be fine for fairly long periods and then have a period of lethargy. The lack of action often results in my being very cold and then I get even more lethargic because I am so cold. I mentioned that my GP had done all the tests and thyroxine levels were all normal etc butttttt ..... Rather guiltily I confessed that at times I took an extra thyroxine pill because it seemed to help break the vicious cycle but I was a little concerned.

She said thyroid tests need to be improved a bit. That when you have your own normally functioning thyroid gland it is producing thyroxine all day as and when it is needed. So if I have a dose at the beginning of the day sometimes it doesn't last through the day. She suggested I have half the pill in the morning and half in the evening so it would be spread a little. That an ocasional extra pill would not do any harm if I was that cold.

Thought I'd share it with you all. Now my challenge is to remember to take it TWICE a day. I'll let you know if it helps.

Take Care.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 01:33

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 207/151/142
BF:
Progress: 86%

Christine before I started the Atkins diet I took high blood medication and was always hot. After 5 days on the diet I became weak and found out my blood pressure was very low. I was taking medication for the blood pressure. I stopped taking medication back in october and have been freezing here in Californic since. People stare at me as I bundle up in movie theaters. By the way I have lost 61 lbs since Oct 15th so I candle deal with a few goose bumps and low bloodpressure.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 14:27

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

Well, I wish I had this problem (being cold). I've always been too hot, but when I was low carbing and deep into ketosis I was cold all the time. Since I feel off the wagon I am back to being hot all the time. I can't wait to be back into ketosis and shivering.