Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 18:54

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Microwave Cooking Problems

Here are 2 articles on the hazards of microwave cooking. Possibly they have arisen previously so I am re-introducing them as there appears to be some LCs who seem to prefer this method of cooking. There is also an article on PFCs which was raised recently but is of considerable interest in relation to potential health problems.

www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards.htm
www.mercola.com/article/microwave/hazards2.htm
www.ewg.org/issues/pfcs/20051116/index.php (There may be a delay in the downloading of this one so be patient).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-23-05, 22:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! His Mom doesn't like rewarmed coffee, so the microwave must be doing something bad to it.

Microwaved blood killed a patient when it was transfused into them. Good point, don't microwave blood before transfusing it. You'll cook it.

And we finish with a big old conspiracy theory.

I'd suggest a tin foil hat for the author and his mum but they might put it into the microwave and that'd be messy.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-05, 03:23

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 230/150/165 Female 69 inches
BF:22% (calipers)
Progress: 123%

I haven't finished the article yet - I'm laughing too hard.

By the way - I have some great microwave cake recipes (oops, high carb)!

And, wicked me, I always warmed the babies' bottles in the m'wave, even when they were filled with breast milk. I know hot spots can be generated but if you carefully shake the bottle ..... For some reason I wasn't into standing round at night with a screaming baby holding the bottle in warm water.

Ooh, and you can sterilize the bottles in the microwave as well!

Back to the article.

Michelle
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-05, 03:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/190/180 Male 69 inches
BF:yes
Progress: 87%

Microwave ovens are not natural and cooking with stainless steal pots, on an electric stove is?

Some people just like to type
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-05, 03:32

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 230/150/165 Female 69 inches
BF:22% (calipers)
Progress: 123%

"The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food"

How do THEY know that if the by-products are unknown?

"the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down."

Surely, we need to break compoounds down to absorb them.

What a fun article.

Michelle
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-05, 10:30

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I have to admit that after reading the Mercola article, I have decided that he does not have a grasp of basic physics.

Quote:
microwaves from the sun are based on principles of pulsed direct current (DC) that don't create frictional heat; microwave ovens use alternating current (AC) creating frictional heat.
Microwaves are microwaves, no matter what their source. By definition, all microwaves are alternating current (hence the 'wave' in the name).

And what does this statement have to do with anything related to microwaving food?
Quote:
The use of artificial microwave transmissions for subliminal psychological control, a.k.a. "brainwashing", has also been proven.
This statement does make me think that it was written by a tin foil hat wearer.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-05, 22:41

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%
Default Oh!! Oh!! Waving frantically

"psychological control, a.k.a. "brainwashing""
Where is the instruction booklet!?!?! Please!! I have people to brainwash!! Then they would clean their room and always get straight A's. And, hey, mayhap I could even get one of them to brainwash me to leave crap I shouldn't eat alone.... ya think??
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-05, 22:49
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'd suggest a tin foil hat for the author and his mum

Ah, but do tin foil hats really help?

Roz
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-05, 23:07
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

I have a hard time taking Dr Mercola seriously after his tirade against Splenda for being a chlorinated sugar molecule. Hey, aren't swimming pools chlorinated?!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-05, 10:18
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Ah, but do tin foil hats really help?

Roz

I heard about that on NPR. Isn't it hilarious?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-05, 10:22

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Everyone here is jumping on the trash Mercola bandwagon. But let's leave Mercola out of this and consider a few things.

Asthma and Chlorine - I am asthmatic and chlorine triggers severe asthma attacks whenever I take showers and I have had to filter all my water taps including the shower head. Providing links to asthma attacks in children and swimming pools below and many others.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003...3801475226.html
http://www.occupationalasthma.com/o...estion0006.html
http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0529/asthma.html

Regarding Splenda, I find that whenever I use it I experience muslce pain. Once I stop using it, muscle pain disappears. How long has Splenda been around? How many research studies have been conducted to verify it's safety? Why do people scoff at anyone who questions the safety of Splenda? If you can use splenda with no adverse reactions then go ahead and use it but also concide that there are people who can't and caution should be exersized in it's use.

And to the original subjert of this thread. Do you really think that microwaving your food is safe? We are all now warned about cooking food (fat) at high tempertures alters it so that it is detrimental to our health. I for one cannot even stomach the smell of chicken reheated in a microwave. Don't know why but don't care to repeat it.

Last edited by Hellistile : Fri, Nov-25-05 at 10:31.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-05, 10:36
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
And to the original subjert of this thread. Do you really think that microwaving your food is safe?

Very. It retains more vitamins and nutrition in the food you cook in a microwave because you don't cook it as long.

You can defrost food in a microwave, if that were high temperature cooking, you wouldn't be able to do that.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-05, 11:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
If you can use splenda with no adverse reactions then go ahead and use it but also concide that there are people who can't and caution should be exersized in it's use.

Sure, but the same thing could be said about any number of substances that people have negative, even life-threatening, reactions to that are generally considered safe. Take penicillin for example; a life-saving antibiotic that is generally considered safe even though some of the population are violently allergic to it. Same thing goes for aspirin. Why do we not see campaigns to ban penicillin and aspirin from the market based on the fact that a few cannot tolerate it?
My DH has severe allergies to nuts (as do a fair number of the population). I don't see campaigns to have nuts banned from the market because some are allergic to them or websites popping up all over the place to warn the general public of their danger.
My point here is that if you have a problem with some food, avoid it. We shouldn't need warning labels to tell us that. Considering the millions of people that use Splenda, it shouldn't be that surprising that a small percentage will find that they have a sensitivity to it. Statistically speaking, I'd be amazed if that wasn't the case. But...that doesn't automatically make it an evil product that should be shunned by one and all any more than saying that all should avoid nuts because a few are deathly allergic to them.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-05, 12:52
Registered Member

Plan: relaxed Paleo
Stats: 194/154/154 Male 177 cm
BF:

I’ve never really understood why one would need a microwave. I remember my Mom bought one in the early 80s but I don’t know whether she has ever used it. I find the resulting flavour of microwave food simply disgusting and absolutely inferior to pot/pan prepared foods. I’m willing to immolate these 5 to 10 minutes extra time for the sake of a joyful eating experience (which includes the smell of frizzling butter and the smell of fried meat&fish). I’m also aware of the fact that there’s no arguing about tastes, which can be quite diverse.

Given my deep resentment to microwaves for that very reason, I’ve never really asked myself whether microwaves are unhealthy or not. However, I often came across the mentioning of this Suisse study from the early 90s which was fought over in court (even up to the European Court). Does anyone know more about this? Was it absolutely bogus? Why can’t it be taken seriously? The source of the study indicates a reputable research institute and the Suisse are usually known for their thoroughness, particularly in research.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-05, 13:44
Experimenter

BF:

Hmmm... I find vegetables steamed in a microwave are every bit as delicious as ones made on a range top.

I think I usually use a microwave for these tasks:

Softening butter I keep in the freezer for freshness
Defrosting meats
Reheating leftovers
Rewarming coffee
Steaming veggies
Popcorn
Bowl Muffins
softening cream cheese, melting butter or chocolate
Making scrambled eggs (at work)

Usually if something doesn't taste right its that you cooked it too long. For instance, if you overheat coffee, be it microwave or cooktop, it tastes really foul.

Lots of time the secret is to slightly undercook things and then let it sit to finish cooking.

The best thing I like about microwaving is that you don't have to dirty up a pan for so many things, like the muffin I stir up and bake all in the same bowl.

There are tasks microwave ovens simply don't do well and for those I'll use whatever is appropriate, pan or oven.

Finally, the microwave makes it possible for my elderly mother to continue to prepare her own meals and get decent nutrition. If she had to cook everything on the stove top or oven, I doubt she would. So this really helps preserve her independence.