Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 10:46
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 437/392/360
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default New to the club

Howdy everyone ! Like the title suggests, I am new to the Low Carb dieting WOL. I started on 12/4/01 and I must say that I feel GREAT !! The first thing I noticed was that I had much more energy througout the day and evening. At first I thought It was "all in my head" 'cause I was excited about the program but it has been 6 days now and I still feel awesome ! I don't ge the afternoon "blahs" that I used to and I have eliminated all sugar and cut the carbs down to 25-30 a day.

I have a wicked about of wieght to lose !! I am currently at 437 lbs and my ideal weight should be around 250, since I have a large frame and am 6'4'' tall. But still, this is a lot. I have been encouraged by some of the posts I have seen here and Im really looking forward to shedding some excess poundage and experiencing some of thos "whooshes" y'all are talking about !!

As my nickname implies, I am a fellow Canadian (Newfoundlander to be exact) and I'm living in Texas. So I guess I'll have to cut out those breakfast burritos and tacos eh ! !

Anyways, so how long does it usually take before you start noticing a difference.. I see that a lot of people have lost 10-20
pounds in the first month.

If anyone is interested I have a website of pictures I've taken
at the following link :

http://www.craignewbury.com

Gotta go for now, talk to you later I hope !

Craig
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 12:20

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Craig - I lost quite a bit last time I did low carb, but jumped off the wagon. This time I started at 260 two weeks ago, and have lost 6 pounds. Three pounds a week works for me, I'll tellya!

I haven't really noticed much difference yet, and that's pretty normal - usually when you're over 50 pounds overweight, you really don't begin to notice a lot until you've lost quite a few pounds. But I'm just counting on my scale not lying to me and will continue to plug along.

Welcome! I love this place, and have really appreciated the support here. You ought to begin a journal in the journals forum to record your progress, and your upsets. There are a lot of people here who will help keep you motivated!

Sh'ra
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-01, 19:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi, Craig. Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on making the decision to get healthy!!!

If you haven't already done so, take your measurements. That will convince you you're really losing, even if others don't see it for awhile. I agree with Sh'ra -- it does take some time to show. I've lost 13 pounds and even *I* don't really notice it!

You probably will lose quite quickly at the beginning, which will give you a big boost and a lot of motivation, but, as I'm sure you know, after a few weeks, the rate of loss slows down. A lot of us make "mini-goals" on the way down, because looking at 50, 100, 150 pounds or more at one time can be daunting.

Good luck. You'll find a lot of support here, I'm sure.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 10:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

Craig ... good luck on your new woe

I started Atkins on July 27, 2001 ... and am down 48 pounds now. Of course, the rate of loss has slowed down quite a bit. People started noticing after I lost about 10 pounds ... but not those who see me everyday ... my husband and daughter still don't notice much difference ... like I don't notice her growing until we measure her height on the wall. I'm down 2-3 sizes though and that feels great!

Living in Texas means figuring out what to eat at the local taqueria ... fajita meat is good, with cheese or a fajita salad. I eat guacamole, but no chips or tortillas. That means, of course, no burritos, tacos, or enchiladas.

Men tend to loose faster and easier than women ... so that's a plus for you. Keep at it ... I'll be rooting for you.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:14

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Talking Welcome Craig!

Hey there! I'm glad to welcome you to the forum and especially the triple digit club. You will find plenty of folks here struggling with the same stuff--so it becomes a great support. And there are wonderful recipes available and tools to help you along the way. I have been low carbing since July 11th, and have lost 50-52 pounds. I still have lots to lose but am thrilled with my progress. I never thought it was possible before. With me I lost maybe 7 pounds in the first month or so. Not too fast--but I felt thinner inch wise. My clothes started getting loose and they had been pretty snug before. Using a measuring tape will help you realize the progress even if the scales are a little slow in going down.

I am so happy you are feeling more energized. I knew before I started this WOL that sugar was causing me to lose energy. But I guess I didn't realize how much. Now I feel so much more awake and alive. Well, keep plugging away. One day at a time...don't get impatient with yourself. We all want it to "fall" off, but it takes time. Victoria
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 11:26

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Talking Photos

Wow! Craig, just checked out your photos, they are amazing. I am an artist, mainly oil painting, so I appreciate your artistic expression. Your photos of Jasper and Newfoundland were inspiring....what beautiful color the Lord has blessed us with! Well, that's it....thank you for the lovely view. Victoria
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 10:29

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up Hey there!

I'm new too craig, and I have a bit of weight to loose!

I actually decided (weither that was wise or not) not to weigh myself or measure myself - becuase I'm focussing on my goal weight!

I'll know if I get there!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 15:15

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Default Welcome LCDave!

Welcome LCDave! Glad to see another person join our group. You'll find some really supportive folks here and really helpful information.

You'll see from my stats that I've got a lot of weight to lose too, but I'm jazzed and committed.

Looking forward to hearing about your journey too.

DWRolfe
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 20:12

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:

Welcome to the club, Craig.

As you can see, the Triple Digits Club is alive and well. I'm almost at the end of Week 2. I lost 14 pounds in the first week but have put a couple back on in the second - water I'm almost positive. I'm hoping it means I am getting ready for a visit by the Whoosh Fairy soon.

This WOE is great. I feel so much better. I'm more alert. My short term memory seems a bit better. I have at least a little more energy. I am really enjoying the food I prepare. Best of all, I just seem to have a better outlook on life. Perhaps some of that is the novelty, but I think much of it isn't.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 08:31

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Talking Hello

Hi Craig and all.
I am a newbee as well. Today is one week since I started the program and I am feeling good. I already did my measurements and I lost inches this week. 1.5 inch at the hips alone! grin grin grin.
I will get on the scale at 11 when the Y opens. This is my "legal" weighing time. My story is a little more complex.

I started at 325 pounds on Dec 10th. I decided that I handled food well at work. It was at home that I ran amok. So I ate normally at work and then quit eating at 4:00 in the afternoon. I lost 43 pound doing this. Then (you knew there would be a then) I got my blood work and found my "fat" levels evelvated so I started to look for a solution to combine with my weight loss formula. I kept being pointed to Adkins. So here I am.

I must say that sweets no longer interest me. I can pass on all of that with no problem. If you would have told me this a month ago, I would have laughed in your face. g

We can do this. We just must be committed to the process. Let's surf through this together.

Dee
Attached Images
File Type: gif surfin.gif (13.8 KB, 60 views)
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 10:25

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Talking Sweets...who cares!

Hey Dee! Welcome! I noticed what you wrote about sweets not mattering to you any more. Same with me. I think I ate sweets every day of my life. But since starting this WOE, I never think about sweets. It doesn't bother me to be around others who ate eating sweets either. I feel so much better now!

Good luck to you!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 15:38

Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

I used to be better about the sweets ... I was amazed how I could just pass them up ... when I'm out ... when I'm at home, however, it's very difficult.

This week my dd made a batch of brownies ... I thought I could handle it ... and I am, I haven't had one ... but just the thought of them out in the kitchen is haunting me ...

And for some reason, I am really craving ice cream right now ... I might just have to break down and get myself a little scoopful. It could be my anticipation of surgery on my throat this week ... and a psychological crutch ...

ugh ... somedays it's just harder than others.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 15:49

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:

Instead of having the ice cream, go make one of those Mock Danishes. That should satisfy just about any sweet tooth - and, if you haven't had one before, they are GOOD!

The recipe is in the Reader's section of the Low Carb Recipes area under Breakfast (second on the list).

Good luck in resisting the temptation - and best wishes that your surgery goes well.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 18:14

Plan: Medi Weight Loss Pgm
Stats: 296.0/179.7/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Question Low carb ice cream

Why couldn't one take a low-carb shake, put it in a ice cream machine and make low-carb ice cream?

Just a thought.

Dee
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 21:21
Registered Member

Stats: 570+?/???/250 Female 67.5
BF:
Progress: 24%
Thumbs up

Just wanted to say Hi and keep it up!!! One day at a time!

Trina