Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins-SBD (some sat fat)
Stats: 305/305/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitclerk
Hi there... I'm the one that started this thread.... golly, I love this forum!! So many ideas of cheeses to try yet!!! Thank you!!! The only two I personally know so far to be NON MELTING, when pan fried, are the Queso Blanco (haven't found this at the stores here yet) and the Queso Panela ... the latter one, we are now on our third package of.... finally found something LC that even Poor Ray loves!!! I will be trying many of the suggestions below as well, after another run to the grocery store.... but at the moment, I personally vouch for the Queso Panela.... NOTE: This is DIFFERENT than making the delicious cheese crisps in the microwave....

Thanks. I wish more people would at least glance through the thread as they post.

As you've stated, you're not talking about frying any old cheese...

You're talking about a particular type of cheese that doesn't melt when you fry it, therefore it allows you to form a nice crust on the outside while the "inside" stays intact.

It seems like there are two basic types. One that is mild and one that is more tangy.

Queso Blanco - Mild, slightly tangy White Semi-firm to firm, creamy. Hispanic-style cheese similar to mild Cheddar to tangy Jack.

Adobera (Ah-doe-bear-a) (aka Queso Fresco.) Mild, slightly salty White Soft, moist, crumbly ----

Apparently there is a middle eastern cheese that also is a "frying cheese". I don't know if there is a name for it though... I wonder if it's as tangy as "feta"... might be interesting

I'm lucky that there are a lot of Mexicans in my town so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to find the cheese you have mentioned.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 14:18
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkseler
I've tried frying cheddar and love them as a savory snack, but sometime I would love something sweet. Are any of these cheeses mild enough to fry and then sprinkle with splenda and cinnamon kind of like a crispy sweet cracker? Can you "fry" cream cheese"?

I suppose some variation of the following recipe (from the "Fearless Frying" cookbook) could work. Replace the sugar with splenda and I'm not sure what kind of flour replacement could be used... (any advice from anyone out there?) Maybe some product like "Carbquick"?

But as far as a "sweet cheese" desert... it does exist.

(Remember, this recipe would have to be changed to a low carb version, I'm just offering this as an example)

1 Pint Ricotta
2 TB superfine sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3 TB self rising flour
Peanut oil for frying
confectioners sugar or honey for serving.

Mix the ricotta, splenda, vanilla, zest, cinnamon. Add flour a little at a time stirring until stiff.

Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches in stock pot, place over med-high head and heat until 365 degr.

Line baking sheet with paper towels and place near stove.

When oil reaches temp. drop dough by TB into the oil. Cook several at a time. Maintain temp between 350-365.

Cook till brown all over, 'bout 4 min.

Remove with tongs or mesh strainer, place on paper towels.

Dust fritters with sugar or honey.

Serve right away.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 14:49
Constant Improvement

Plan: atkins / BFL
Stats: 185/175/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30/28.8/24
Progress: 20%

Fancy recipe. I'm lazy - my sweet cheese dessert is cream cheese mixed with splenda and unsweetened hershey's cocoa... I wrap it up in cellophane like a little log and slice off little pieces as needed...
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 14:55
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizan
Fancy recipe. I'm lazy - my sweet cheese dessert is cream cheese mixed with splenda and unsweetened hershey's cocoa... I wrap it up in cellophane like a little log and slice off little pieces as needed...

Sounds delish!!

I just offered that recipe because the thread and the question was about being able to fry cheese.

But, I think I'm gonna give your dessert a try!!
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 15:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 273/245.0/150 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 23%

No doubt , me too anything with more than about 3 ingredients and I begin to stare off into space
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 20:09
Constant Improvement

It's yummy. I've also been told that there is an actual "chocolate cheese" been too wussy to try it out though, and have no idea what the carb count would be, but I'm all agog at the possibility of maybe frying chocolate cheese?? I'm torn between thinking it would be totally disgusting and yet compelled to try it somehow... lol
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 20:28
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

oh for heaven's sakes, this is not rocket science. Most of us here have been frying cheese into "crackers" for years. Pretty much any sort of solid cheese will work.

Not sure about the sweet stuff. The idea of sweet cheese makes me nauseous.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 21:06
Always Shining

Stats: 363.3/332.6/145 Female 5'7"
BF:'fraid so...
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCampr
Adobera (Ah-doe-bear-a) (aka Queso Fresco.) Mild, slightly salty White Soft, moist, crumbly ----

We were introduced to "Mexican Frying Cheese" while visiting my sister in Florida.....GREAT for snacking, (and very different from homemade cheese crisps whether you make those in the microwave or pan).

Our Costco used to carry the one described above, we LOVED it......but no more. Can't seem to find it in any of our stores.

#39   ^
Old Wed, Nov-09-05, 21:58

Stats: 195/179/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 32%

OK, Kaizan and HappyCampr,

I thought dessert at least was safe from my cheese obsession....thanks a lot.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 17:30

Stats: 195/179/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDoll
OK, Kaizan and HappyCampr,

I thought dessert at least was safe from my cheese obsession....thanks a lot.

and I was so excited at the time by thoughts of deep fried ricotta balls that I had a little brain fart and forgot about the best dessert there is... cheese based or not...CHEESECAKE!

I did buy some panela today and tried frying it. It's good, but the plain un-fried panela tasted pretty good too.

What do any of you use this kind of fried cheese for, just snacking? or has anyone come up with any other creative uses?
I'm wondering how a "sandwich" would be with large slices of fried cheese as the bread and maybe tomato, lettuce, and avocado inside.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 17:34
Constant Improvement

Quote:
I'm wondering how a "sandwich" would be with large slices of fried cheese as the bread and maybe tomato, lettuce, and avocado inside.

MMM...that sounds pretty yummy, not much of an avocado girl, but I'm thinking long cucumber slices...
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Nov-10-05, 17:58
WONJ#3

Plan: 12 steps
Stats: 238/210/145 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 30%

Gjetost cheese is good!!!! OMG!!!

It has a sweet taste to it.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Nov-20-05, 09:42

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 370/348.5/298 Female 5'9"
BF:plenty of it
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildflowr6: Our Costco used to carry the one described above, we LOVED it......but no more. Can't seem to find it in any of our stores.

Wildflowr6, I found Queso Fresco at my local Save-A-Lot. Don't know if you have that store out there or not, but they started bringing in Mexican cheeses since we have gained Mexicans into the local communities here.
Well, thanks to the idiot who signed the North American Free Trade Agreement, you will probably find many, many types of these cheeses soon. We are losing jobs, but gaining cheese.

Last edited by SBMama37 : Sun, Nov-20-05 at 09:49.
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Nov-21-05, 05:04
Always Shining

Stats: 363.3/332.6/145 Female 5'7"
BF:'fraid so...
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBMama37
Wildflowr6, I found Queso Fresco at my local Save-A-Lot. Don't know if you have that store out there or not, but they started bringing in Mexican cheeses since we have gained Mexicans into the local communities here.
Well, thanks to the idiot who signed the North American Free Trade Agreement, you will probably find many, many types of these cheeses soon. We are losing jobs, but gaining cheese.

No Save-A-Lot stores here, I'm afraid. Sometimes I do believe Vermont is the last to get anything! (We have a practically non-existent Hispanic population) I keep looking, but so far haven't been able to locate any frying cheese anywhere....hopefully, my sis will bring some up from Florida when she comes for Christmas.

Thanks for your suggestion, though....