Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-05, 22:31

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

ok if you want a sf vanilla latte you just say

"Grande decaf (or fully leaded if you perfer) sugar free vanilla latte made with heavy whipping cream..."

Plan to spend a little extra for the cream, but it is really yummy and really worth it...I figured there is only about 3 carbs in the whole thing if they use 1/2 cup of cream...

Kellie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Nov-06-05, 20:29

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:yep
Progress: 58%
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by csoar2004
Water.

Good one!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 10:13

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelrivas
"Grande decaf (or fully leaded if you perfer) sugar free vanilla latte made with heavy whipping cream..."

Next time I go to Starbucks, I will order this...hopefully they won't ask me any other questions. Otherwise, I might just turn around and run out of there!!!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 14:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 219/192/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I wrote it down and will ask for it today. Hope they make it right as I would hate to gain weight on someone's stupidity.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 00:04
Registered Member

BF:

Ok went to Starbucks today and ordered the following....

Grande Decaf
Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup
Heavy Cream

Didnt use any Whipped Cream.

I asked to see the package of the Heavy Cream and it listed 0 carbs.

It tasted VERY good although afterwards I got a little stomach acid, I suppose from all the heavy cream. I suppose the 3 carbs come from the Vanilla Syrup ?

Anyway, please confirm if I did it right.

Thanks
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 06:51
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but, I know that the carbs did not come from the syrup. If you go to www.starbucks.com, everything is listed as 0. However, if you pull up "Decaf coffee of the Week" a grande is 2 carbs. Plus, the heavy cream certainly has some carbs.

But, it looks good to me!!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 08:02
Registered Member

BF:

I checked the container of the Heavy Cream myself and it listed 0 carbs. Lots of heavy creams got 0 carbs.

On the other hand, I woke up and after a VERY low carb day with plenty of water I gained 1 1/2 pounds. Very unusual for me.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 08:08
feels like today

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 203.5/187.5/145 Female 5ft. 1in.
BF:
Progress: 27%

But, I am pretty sure that if something has between 0-.5 carbs, they can still put 0 carbs on the label. I know that there has been other threads on here explaining this phenomenon. Plus, if you have lots of heavy cream, it would add up.

I went to Fitday and plugged in "Cream, heavy, whipped, unsweetened" and it came up 3.32 g carbs and 0 fiber for one cup. So, say you had even 1/4 cup, it would be 0.83 carbs.

Hope that helps!!!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 08:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

there was probably 0 carbs in the syrup, and 3 or so in the cream. that much heavy dairy on a tummy that isn't used to it could upset it.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 09:25
Registered Member

BF:

So what other substitutes for milk do we have aside from heavy cream ?
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nando
So what other substitutes for milk do we have aside from heavy cream ?

Hood CarbCountdown milk, but I'm pretty sure it would be VERY hard to find in PR!

I'm checking my handy dandy carb counter and it says a 1 cup of cream has 6.64 carbs. (not sure of the huge difference between Fitday's calculations though??) But klc145 is right, even if a product has 0.9 carbs, they can still list it as 0 and that's what my cream container says as well.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 10:20
Registered Member

BF:

Well, all I know is that I gained 1 1/2 pounds and it is BUGGING me !
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 10:36

Do you have any issues with caffeine?? Some people are more sensitive than others. It mentions in DANDR about caffeine stimulating insulin. But if you normally drink 10 cups of coffee a day, I guess this wouldn't apply to you.

On a personal note, I can't have large quantities of cream or cream cheese. They either cause some nasty cravings, or slight water retention????
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 11:45

Plan: Neandergirl
Stats: 145/131/122 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:36/34/19

Here in the bay area I have been told by few Starbucks that they dont have heavy cream. This makes me sad, as I would love to have a delicious semi legal treat now and again( cream stalls me horribly)

Has anyone ran into my delema
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 12:07

Plan: 80/20 Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 250/190/145 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

What a thread here!

Ok…
First the carbs come from the heavy whipping cream, not the coffee or the syrup. Remember the if the carb count is under one carb per serving they can legally list it as zero (and they ALWAYS do)…

So this means if one tablespoon of heavy whipping cream is .98 carbs they can list it as zero. A serving of real heavy cream is actually only about .6 of a carb, and a cup is about 6 carbs all together. (Check the carb count online)

As far as a pound and a half you gained I can almost promise it is water retention, not fat gained. Unless you totally porked out somewhere else during the day, there is no way the energy in ˝ cup of full fat cream can create a pound and a half of fat.

With that being said I do not blame you for being concerned about the weight gain. It looks like you might be sensitive to dairy. However it could also be from the sf syrup as well. I know Starbucks is still using sf syrups with Aspartame (Equal). If too much is used you can bloat like a balloon. Get only five squirts of sf syrup and sweeten with Spelenda if you need it more sweet. They also have vanilla sprinkles for the top but that too will add a few carbs, but not much.

It could also be that you ate something else during the day that affected you and could be totally unrelated to the drink. It also might be a ton of other things, stress, PMS, or blood pressure. You really cannot conclude based on one drink whether or not this did it. You might want to test it another time.

You might want to try next time just a regular decaf coffee, a little half n half (like maybe two tablespoons which will have only about 3 carbs) and Splenda. IF that does not affect you the same way, I bet it really is the syrup that affected you so negatively.

I am sorry you got messed up, I know how it feels to be frustrated and I would not want to cause another person trouble on lc...it's not always easy to find things we can enjoy and I was hoping to help. I am sorry it back fired on you. I guess that is why they say your mileage will vary, because we all are different and have different sensitivites. Drink lots of water with a little lemon juice the next few days and it should get rid of the retention.

Kellie