Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/197/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Thumbs down smoking

I have not been on the LC long enough to figure out what is causing my stalls. However I was surprised to hear that smoking can stall you. My Dad was just put into the Hospital last night they found a tumor on his lung he is in pretty bad shape and I would be thankful for any extra prayers.
I guess it's time I stop smoking for more than one reason. But I'm just not ready yet.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 10:15

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default The List So Far

Here is the list so far. Please post any others that are not listed here now!

<b>Processed meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners
Protein bars
Low carb food products that imitate high carb food
Eating a wide combination of food in one day
Too many pork rinds </b>
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 13:36

Plan: cad/calp
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default bacon to ellie

ellie,take wax paper when you come home from the grocery with bacon while still not frozen. strip of say a foot of wax paper lay on counter and take two strips of bacon and lay close together but not touching. then fold over the wax paper to cover bacon then lay two more strips on top of those first to pieces with the folded over wax paper over . continue until all the bacon is gone then put in saran wrap or bag and freeze. when you want bacon you can easily separate pieces you need without thawing whole package.wawtigress
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 16:21
Registered Member

Stats: 177/169.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 22%

For me, it's diet soda -- at times I'd still rather have this than water. Diet Coke is still a major treat for me, though I've really cut down and can go days without. Caffeine might affect me adversely.

The worst, however, is that I'll drink this junk instead of water. Not drinking enough water definitely causes a stall.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: Plan from my Doctor
Stats: 209/187/127
BF:
Progress: 27%

For me it is cheese, nuts and artificial sweetners.
And can I include alcohol? I love the stuff!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan:
Stats: 340/302/225
BF:
Progress:

I find that it's the night time snacks that get me into trouble. Take nuts for example. The package says 29 pieces and maybe indicates 3 to 5 grams depending upon the type of nuts. BUT, can anyone stop when they reach the alloted serving size for the carbs listed on the package. I can't and for that reason they are not allowed into the house.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 20:30

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%

I'm afraid it's french vanilla low fat coffee whitener. That means probably the artificial sweeteners in it, plus it has 5 carbs per 1 tblspn, I try to lighten my coffee with just 1 teaspoon instead, cutting the caqrb to 2.5. But I have to face it, it's not helping me, i went out and bought light cream which has no carbs. It was my little treat, but now I'm on a stall, so I guess that's it, although I do eat processed meats, I's so easy to just take a few slices of salami and cheese with my salad. I guess I'm going to have to rethink this. Chris
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 07:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%
Lightbulb

i found that Carblife chocolates make me stall ... and i am sorry to say that i also prefer Diet coke to water, I know a lot of people say that the citric acid in fizzy drinks can also make them stall.

I think a root of my eating problem is also a shoppping / spending / binging thing. When i was younger i aspired to being a grown-up with my own money, and when my folks had some money they gave us good food as a treat. when i started to work i treated myself all the time - thus i have a food eating problem.

Could be worse - i could be a junkie
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 193/160/150
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Salt and LC'ing

I've noticed a number of people have commented about salty meats. After someone recommended that I needed more fat in my diet, I tried eating bacon and some other pork. I got more fat, but I also gained a pound. Perhaps, it's water retention.

Is there anyway of flushing one's system of the salt. Perhaps by drinking lots of water? Or, do I just have to weight.

I'm so depressed by this turn around. I was doing so well on my own.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 10:52

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

Yes Ororo, You should drink lots of water about half your weight in ounces. I'm at 280 right now so I need to drink at least 140 oz a day. I eat foods with a lot of salt content, but as long as I drink 140oz of water I still loose and it hasn't hindered me. I read your other post and if you are going to do this you should try the tried and true way at the beginning. It really does work and I know it goes against everything you were previously taught about loosing weight Do as you are doing and read all the post. You will learn alot. Sorry to hear about your gain, but read what everyonelse is eating and look at their stats. Drink the water and eat the foods and you will loose. I'm willing to bet my next 5lb lost on it.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 11:16
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 230/200/120
BF:
Progress: 27%

Nuts are a stumbling block. One serving is never enough. Bacon can also be a problem if I don't eat it in moderation.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 11:38

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%
Default Coffee & Coffee Whiteners

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisews
I'm afraid it's french vanilla low fat coffee whitener. That means probably the artificial sweeteners in it, plus it has 5 carbs per 1 tblspn, I try to lighten my coffee with just 1 teaspoon instead, cutting the caqrb to 2.5.

Before LC I was "addicted" to the Irish Cream flavoured coffee whitener. It's expensive $$-wise as well as carb-wise. When I started Atkins in September I was already drinking de-caff coffee (because of high blood pressure) so it was really just one small step to giving it up all together. I realized that I could not have my favourite creamer in it and be on LC so the only solution was to quit coffee altogether. This was a BIG DEAL for me because I truly am a coffee lover through and through. Funny though...I don't really miss it. Have 'indulged' in coffee twice since quitting (lightened with whipping cream) and thoroughly enjoyed both cups but oddly enough no longer have a desire to have it every day. Guess I'm just a "tea granny" now.

Marlaine
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Dec-09-01, 15:01

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Wink

Thanks so much Marlaine, Actually, I have begun to drink Tea also, but that first cup in the AM, even though it's decaf....it's hard to stop, however, i did try light cream this AM and it tastes so much better than Half and half That I actually enjoyed my coffee with out my favorite French vanilla. And...without the carbs. Wow chris
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 00:50

Stats: 244/218/144
BF:48/42.3/22
Progress: 26%

For me...it is anything salty...I wake up..and my fingers are tight. I even have to be careful not to salt my food ( I don't use it in cooking)...it seems even a small bit will cause retention.

Also nuts, porkrinds, pepperoni, alcohol, and I watch my cheese intake as well.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 01:14

Plan: FatLoCity
Stats: 85/80/60
BF:
Progress: 20%

Fluid retention can be controlled by drinking heaps of water. If you have enough then your body wont try to store it. Also cutting out excess salt helps.