Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 07:13

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 230/150/165 Female 69 inches
BF:22% (calipers)
Progress: 123%
Default High fat diet eases Alzheimer’s?

At last, a little sense. But contrast this with the article discussing cholesterol, saturated fat and Alzheimer's.

High fat diet eases Alzheimer’s?

17/10/2005- Exploring how dietary components can interact to influence the metabolic state of the body, scientists show that a high fat, low carbohydrate diet eases Alzheimer's disease in mice.

The authors of the study believe that insulin and the related hormone, insulin related growth factor-1 (IGF-1), are the key players in reducing the brain protein amyloid-beta, an indicator of Alzheimer's disease

"You might say that fat is the bomb, and insulin (from carbohydrate) is the fuse,” says Richard Feinman, editor of Nutrition and Metabolism, that published the study this week.

The research, by Samuel Henderson at US pharma firm Accera, runs counter to previous studies suggesting a negative effect of fat on Alzheimer's disease.

Feinman explains why this latest research has thrown up a new angle.

“Most studies of the deleterious effects of fat have been done in the presence of high carbohydrate. If carbs are high, dietary fat is not oxidised and is instead stored as body fat."

When carbohydrates are very low and fat is high, compounds called ketone bodies are generated (ketosis, and these compounds may play a role in the observed reduction in amyloid-beta.

In association with a group from the University of Washington led by Dr. Suzanne Craft, Henderson has previously shown cognitive improvement in patients with mild AD who were given a diet that raised ketone bodies.

"Although it is too early to tell how the results will fit into the treatment of AD, the implication for diet in general is also important," underlines Feinman.

The primacy of insulin as a control element is the basis of popular weight-loss diets based on carbohydrate restriction, he adds.

Such diets, he adds, allow dieters to regulate fat and calorie intake by appetite alone as long as carbohydrate intake remains minimal.

"Henderson's effort is one of several recent studies that point the way to understanding metabolism beyond the issues surrounding simple fat reduction, " says Feinman.

There are nearly 18 million people with dementia in the world and the most common cause of this dementia is Alzheimer's disease. By 2025 this figure is expected to rise to 34 million, with 71 per cent of these likely to live in developing countries.

Today research continues to investigate how the diet may slow down, or prevent, the development of dementia.

Several studies have found an association between intake of omega-3s – the fatty acid found in high quantities in oily fish – and reduced risk of dementia, although a recent trial failed to link the presence of these fats in the diet with slower cognitive decline.

This trial, on elderly men and women living in Chicago, did find however that those who reported eating fish at least once a week had a slower decline in mental function than peers who did not eat fish as often – about 10 per cent less per year.

Copyright - Unless otherwise stated all contents of this web site are © 2000/2005 – Decision News Media SAS – All Rights Reserved. For permission to reproduce any contents of this web site, please email our Syndication department: contact our Syndication department. Full details for the use of materials on this site can be found in the Terms & Conditions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 07:26

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hmmm, you mean ketosis doen't cause cancer. It is actually good for you. Whoda thunkit? I don't know all the good that a high protein/fat diet does but whenever there is a breakthrough, it doesn't surprise me.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 07:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Richard Feinman's paper "When is a high fat diet not a high fat diet?" is here;

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.c...3-7075-2-27.pdf
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 11:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

On of the saddest things I face is watching my parents, now just my Mom, coping with the effects of a life with too many carbs. My mom is losing her vision from glaucoma and she's afraid of getting Alzheimer's. Her memory is pretty spotty, but her mind is very sharp. At her age of 86 years old I wrestle with the question of whether or not I should get her to change her diet, or even try to. Is it better than she live out the rest of her years happily munching down the carbs she enjoys or do I use her fear of going blind and losing her brain to something like Alzheimer's to get her to change? She relies a lot on pre-cooked meals and convience foods, but she's always been interested in eating "healthy foods". But as she has gotten older and less able, she doesn't prepare much for herself.

I'd move her in with me and put her on my diet, but she can't handle the stairs in my house. *sigh*
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 13:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

NancyLC, I know how difficult this is for you, but at 86, let her enjoy whatever she likes to eat. It is very difficult to change a lifetime of habits. I have a friend who is 85 and a diabetic and was trying to introduce her to low carb, but it is a waste of my time. She continues to drink juices and eat grapes and very high carb food and her bs continues to be wacky, but there is nothing that can be done. She tells me yes, and then she does what she wants. You might want to talk to her and leave her with the decision to start or not. Don't force it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 14:19
Experimenter

BF:

Its like that old saying about leading horses to water.

I think what I will do with my Mom is tell her what I am reading about carbs and her health issues. I'll tell her I will support her in making a change and help her do it, but it will have to be her decision. And if she doesn't want to, that'll be the end of it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 14:48

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Between having your mother go low carb and continuing on with her current diet, I am sure there is a lot of room to maneuver. It's not all or nothing. Maybe encourage her to eat healthy meat (maybe grass-fed), healthy fats and good veggies. Have her take supplements like fish oil, a good multi and anti-oxidants. Encourage to drop the carbs she is indifferent to (sometimes it's only a habit) and only eat what she absolutely loves. A good diet will protect you from a multitude of sins. Sounds to me she eats carbs out of convenience. Maybe you could help her best by preparing extra portions of whatever you make and bringing it to her.

Some people are very set in their ways and refuse to change. It's pointless to force them. But it sounds to me that your mom is interested in eating more healthy.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-17-05, 15:26
Experimenter

BF:

I think the most difficult thing is getting her to eat fat and enough protein. She's been SO brainwashed by her doctors and the media that fat is evil. Meanwhile, she's lost a lot of weight in the last few years. That's a red flag for Alzheimer's.

I suspect she might be gluten intolerant, like I am, and that could be part of her problem with osteoperosis. She does suffer from hypoglycemia when she eats sugary stuff. Most of her protein comes from things like yogurt and cottage cheese. Not terrible, but I'd like her to eat more meat, eggs, butter.

Most of the issue is carbs based foods are easy to prepare and she's got limited energy for fussing with food these days.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 06:15

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 230/150/165 Female 69 inches
BF:22% (calipers)
Progress: 123%

mcsblues,

thank you for the link to Feiman's paper. It was very interesting. I also looked up the original paper on

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.c...cles/browse.asp

There are a large number of other articles that support low carb: Dietary protein intake and renal function, The case for not restricting saturated fat intake ....etc.

Michelle
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-18-05, 07:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

I had read a while back that people who eat a few servings of ocean fish a week have a remarkably low occurance of alzheimers, due to the Omega 3's. I am not sure where i read that.

Thanks for the link to the article! I am gonna e mail it to all of my critics about this WOE.....

(Hey, sometimes it is fun to kick a sleeping tiger!)