Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 15:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210+/188/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 89%

I noticed nat had listed Genoa Salami. I wanted to add some sort of salami or summer sausage or something along those lines. What is genoa salami and where have you found it? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-02, 16:12

Stats: 185/159/135
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default salami

Genoa salami is a softer salami and is slightly bigger in diameter than hard salami. You can usually buy it at any supermarket deli counter.

Coquina
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 17:33

Plan: no grains, no sugar, no potatos
Stats: //140
BF:
Progress:
Default almond flour query

I bought almond flour at kingarthurflour.com
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 21:46

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 205/180/175
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Good Thread, but one question

I see virtually no one's list contains bread of any kind unless it is said to be for the family. My list is very similar to everyone else's with this one exception. (OK make that two, because I get Triscuits too)

As a successful follower of the Sugar Busters diet, I have been eating moderate amounts of stone ground, whole wheat bread, which is considered OK on this plan as are Triscuits and similar whole wheat, no sugar added crackers.

Please forgive my ignorance, but is ALL bread taboo on most of the low carb diets? I check the bread to make sure there is no added sugar, and the whole wheat bread (and Triscuits) are relatively low in carbs AFAICT.

I think I'd be in real trouble if I couldn't eat a sandwich now and then. (or have greasy hands from holding lunchmeat!)

Curious,
Chris
  #80   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-02, 15:39
Registered Member

Stats: 141/126/115 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Sammiejam, Could you PLEASE post the recipe for Breakfast Cheesecake?! Looking forward to it! Thanks!
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 08:04

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 150/125/115
BF:
Progress: 71%
Smile

Anni, have you tried cooking the bacon in the microwave, as I do mine. On a microwave dish, covered with paper towels. underneath and one sheet on top I cook the bacon 1 minute per slice
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 17:30

Stats: 240/220/160
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Eating Advantage bars

Can someone tell me if eating the advantage bars daily as a breakfast or lunch is a bad thing?
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Apr-29-02, 20:14

Plan: SUGAR BUSTERS!
Stats: 198/155/130
BF:
Progress: 63%
Talking to digitalq

like you, I'm one of few that follow the sugar busters! plan.Our diet is simple and real and of course we can eat bread(stone ground) in moderation...but you will see the others can live without bread because they diet sait so(and that's ok also)
I have lost 41 pounds till date

So as long it works for you is ok!!!!

so keep ...

from a very tropical place!!!!

#84   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 06:46

BF:
Default Thanks Wanda

Thats what I thought. I guess it's good that there are so many plans out there, so people can find one that "fits".

I really hate the "going on a diet" thing. I've seen too many people fall into that trap and end up worse off than when they started, because they invariably "go off the diet".

That's one of the main reasons SugarBuster's was a "fit" for me, because it's a reasonable plan that I won't feel compelled to cheat on and I can make it my life's diet.

I like learning about the other plans, and can perhaps incorporate some of the things in them into my life diet. At present though, I can't rationalize the unmoderated consumption of things like heavy cream and fatty meats. Although I believe the FDA's Food Pyramid is upside down, as all of the low carb diets imply, I still think there has to be some small wisdom in moderated fat intake. (especially saturated)

I'm down 15 lbs. since the last 2 months, and I intend to stick with it for good this time. I hated myself after the holidays last year.

195250 If you are reading this. I think the Atkins bars and other LC bars can be a great meal replacement. I'd try to only do breakfast or lunch and not both though. I take one for lunch quite often because they help me avoid the snack machines and eating out with my office mates. (I think Subway is just about the only place I can go without breaking a bunch of rules!) They give you a vitamin boost and some good quality protien and lessen the negative impacts of skipping meals.

Word of warning though! Read the labels on the LC bars! It's easy to confuse them with the "Energy Bars" and those are usually huge carbo loads!!!

Chris
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 08:57
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I have to say that I totally disagree. Those bars are not okay for meal replacements. Many can contain up to 20 "hidden" carbs, a whole day's allotment for people on induction. Also, eating fake food will not teach you anything about changing your eating habits, a must for having a successful way of life.

Plan ahead, pack your lunch, and eat healthy, natural foods, available everywhere!

Elihnig
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 10:37

BF:

Thanks for the input.

You are right, of course, people should not come to rely on these products exclusively, and should consider all the alternatives for eating away from the house. Some work environments make it difficult to pack lunch, or to even take the time to eat a nutritious lunch (made from "real" food) So for me, it tends to be better than skipping meals, which I have found to be a very bad thing.

Could you please explain "hidden carbs" and "induction"?
(I would be shocked if these Atkins bars had hidden carbs! I thought they had one of the stricter plans.)

Thanks in advance!

Chris
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 13:35
Registered Member

Stats: 265/210/205
BF:
Progress: 92%

hidden carbs is one very disappointing aspect about the atkins bars (as well as their other goods)

you would think they would be honest with us about actual carb content and not try to get by on a technicality

kind of like this heart attack vs cardiac arrest

i believe in atkins and it has helped me greatly but the hidden carb thing irks me if you can't tell
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 14:07

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Atkin's products, hidden carbs-anybody?

So, now that I've heard (a few times) that Atkin's products contain hidden carbs...I have to ask: how do you know? How did you figure it out?

I'm not saying that you guys are wrong at all...I really hope you CAN explain it to me, so that I can be more aware. But, I have to wonder, why in the world would he, of all people, sell products that would keep HIS diet from working properly? I can see that making a quick buck off of desperate, overweight people that want an easy meal solution would be the first reason you give me, but overall, wouldn't he be hurting his entire practice and philosophy if no one ended up losing weight due to eating his products? It doesn't seem like he would think it would even be worth it because he could make MORE money by having more followers (when people actually lose weight and see results) if he maintains the integrity of his diet and reputation. Again, I can understand why a company such as CarbSolutions would market hidden-carb products..because they are just selling food products and making money off of that alone, hoping to get all those low-carbers out there to buy. But Dr. Atkins, on the other hand, has invested so much time/energy/money/reputation into this way of life, that I don't see why HE would jeopardize all of that by lying to us...he has a lot more to lose than CarbSolutions, etc.

Maybe there is some calculation that you guys are doing with the food nutritional labels that I don't know about, which is telling you that the carbs can't be low??

Also, BostonLou, if you really do think he had a good old-fashioned heart attack due to clogged arteries, don't you feel the need to quit the diet? I don't know if he is telling the truth or not, but I just wondered about your reasoning... All I know is that I feel so much better when I follow his diet, so that has to tell me something about the healthiness of it...
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 14:51

BF:
Question Carbs (are they out to get me?)

I have read that some carbohydrates have a higher glycemic index than others. This is the reason Sugar Busters stay away from the seemingly healthy carrot. So I would imagine that simply reading the Carb count on any product is not really a good indication of how much effect it will have on blood sugar levels.

Reading the ingredient label helps too, and is the main reason it takes me a bit longer to shop "in the middle" of the store.

I think perhaps it should be suggested that a glycemic index rating be put on the FDA label, but maybe that's asking a lot. I don't know how hard it is for them to come up with that number or if a comparison between foods would be "apples to apples" (pardon the pun)

For instance, according to SB, fruit can be consumed as long as it's 1hr. before or 1/2hr. after any meal. According to them, fructose (on an empty stomach) dosen't cause a large rise in blood sugar. (insulin trigger)

The reason you never see Sugar Free on IceCream? Because Lactose is a sugar. (I'm guessing with all the heavy cream consumers here that it too, does not trigger insulin production)

So I guess the moral of the story is to read the label. But I still want to know more about the Hidden Carbs.

Yes, the Atkins "attack" made me think for a second, but I realize that problems with the heart are not always connected with the health of the person. They are quite often hereditary or simply defects in this most important muscle. No way I can pass judgement on that incident.

Chris
  #90   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 14:53

BF:
Default Ice Cream

I meant to mention that they use the term No Sugar Added when it comes to Ice Cream...

Chris