Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Best Of
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 07:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204/195.5/130
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default frig contents?

I'm still kind of new to this...one week into it. But, I have a question...Is there any jarred spaghetti sauce that will fit in the program? After reading several labels I couldn't find one that wasn't loaded with sugar. It's something I keep on hand for a quick dinner, I have teens and they are kind of picky and don't really like the homemade stuff either. BTW---no pasta for me, just a little spaghetti squash. Also, sometimes it bothers the family if what I eat doesn't look like what they are eating! This plan works fairly well and they aren't noticing too much.

TIA--El
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 07:39

Plan: Dr.Atkins
Stats: 257/253/143
BF:
Progress: 4%

eggs
chicken breast fillets
turkey breast fillets
cream
lettuce
mushrooms
cheese
carob/sesame bars (occasionally)
mint tea
caffeine free diet coke
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-01, 13:32

Plan: FatLoCity
Stats: 85/80/60
BF:
Progress: 20%

i use the Paul Newmans stuff. It seems to half the amount of carbs compared to the other brands. It hasnt affected my ketsis so i geuss that it is ok.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 10:43

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%
Default tomatoe sauce

I use Furmans pizza sauce it has something like 4 carbs per serving (1/2 cup which is too much) (6-2 fiber). You don't have to use a lot of it. This is how I like mine [with the spagetti squash]
1cup of cooked spagetti squash
4-5 boneless skinless chicken breast (pounded out)
2 cloves of garlic
4 slices of onion chopped
butter
parmasean
salt and pepper

in a pan sautee the chicken in the butter along with the garlic (to brown)

Then move to a casserole first layer the browned chicken then fill the holes [that are in between each individual breast] with spagetti squash, top off with 1/2 can of tomatoe sauce and a lot of parmasean (not the stuff that comes in a can). Cover and bake at 350 for about 45min to 1hr. My family loves this. It taste like chicken caccitore (if you know what that is). Now I'm hungry again
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 11:05

BF:
Question

What's spaghetti squash?
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 11:24

It is a squash. It looks like a yellow foot ball. When it is cooked you remove the flesh by passing a fork across the flesh, It peels off and looks like spagetti (really it looks like angel hair pasta).
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 11:42

Stats: 185/159/135
BF:
Progress: 52%

I like my spaghetti squash with lots of butter, salt & pepper, and grated parmesan-romano cheese. I'm not eating it since LCing, tho. I like it so much I could easily eat the whole thing at once, and that's way too many carbs!

Those of you who eat eggplant, how do you prepare it? I love eggplant, but used to use it in an all-veggie dish that's off-limits now.

Coquina
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 14:58

BF:

Hi
Thanks gecolon for your answer. Can this be done with any squash or is a specific one? Isnt it high in carbs?I feel so ignorant but am intrigued.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 16:01

BF:

i slice the eggplant long ways and soak it in salt for 20 mins ( it is part of the deadly nightshade family and contains toxins that the salt draws out)

wash it off and pat dry with a paper towel. Then you can do what ever you like with it.
i use it in place of pasta in lasagna.

it is yummy just fried in butter too.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 16:03

Hi Harley

The ECC for 1 cup of spagetti squash is 7.843
(I use one cup for my whole recipe)

This is the only squash that breaks apart and resembles angel hair.

You can eat pumkin (which tastes good fried, boiled, and baked) too. There are so many things you can eat with this way of life. It is like a food adventure
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Dec-15-01, 16:18

BF:

you can eat pumpkin???

i thought that as it is so sweet it must be out!

that is great cos pumpkin chips are delicious with sourcream, and if you can have roast pumpkin how care cares about missing out on the spuds!! (americans, spuds= potatoes)
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 03:20

BF:

Hi gecolon
Never (in my wildest dreams) did I think that I could eat pumpkin on this diet. Which is daft in a way as we can eat almost anything in moderation. Sadly though, I think the pleasures of the spaghetti squash are denied me as Ive never heard of i and only seen regular pumpkin in the shops. Never mind.

I love eggplants (full of oil - yum) but never ate it before cos of the oil and am not too sure about preparing them so thanks sammiejam, Ill give it a go. There is another method of charring the skin off but Ive never tried it. Plus I have an electric cooker.

Well now I have 2 veggie ideas to try: fionas pakoras and fried eggplant. yum.
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Dec-16-01, 16:26

BF:

according to fit day 1 cup of pumpkin= 7g carb!!!

1 cup is alot so that is good news

you can char off the skin the same way that you do peppers (put skin side down on direct heat) but you still have to salt it so i do it this way: slice and salt it,let sit for 20 mins etc,
crush and mix rosemary, garlic and olive oil, baste eggpalnt with this and either roast or place direct on grill. I cut it quite thin so it doesnt take long to cook. When it is done the skin will peel off. You can put it in a preseving jar filled with olive oil and a few garlic cloves and it lasts for ages(and makes a nice present) i do the same thing with feta cheese,yum, and the oil is then flavored and can be used to make really yummy in dressings etc.

o yeah if you decide to roast it put in some pumpkin or other veg, drizzle with balsamic vinigar when done for a roast veg salad. this is good with mediterannian lamb.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 04:20

BF:

YUM

Thanks again Sammiejam. Im stuck cooking for my dad for 2.5 weeks so all these good ideas are going to come in v. handy.

Bye
Harley
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Dec-23-01, 17:14

Stats: 200/174/135 Female 5ft 3in
BF:(Postpartum)
Progress: 40%
Default Spaghetti Sauce

Eleanor

I buy "Traditional" Ragu sauce - it has 7 or 8 gms of Carbs per serving. Does in a pinch with the spaghetti squash if I'm dying for pasta! Of course, I pour it over browned hamburger.
mb

Ladibug

You can go shopping for me any time - we have the same list!

mb