Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322.5/313/146 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Angry Holidays Suck! (From a food point of view)

I was a maniac over Thanksgiving weekend. Dressing and mashed potatoes are a huge weekness of mine. I'm back in control again, but suffered some consequences on the scale.

The only way I think I can get through this is to take baby steps. My next baby step will be an attempt to remaining faithful to this WOL until 12/25.

I'm settling into my holiday armor. I'm telecommuting this year and that removes me from a lot of office temptation. It's horrifying how much food gets thrown around the office. Since I'm doing the Carb Addicts version, that gives me enough flexibility to work in a few social activities.

Does anyone else out there have a holiday PLAN?

Patti
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 17:59

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

I work at home and don't have a family, so I'm lucky around the holidays -- no temptations. No Christmas cookie pushers.

I made a decision that on those rare occasions that I go out to eat -- aside from the "grab something after the movie" times -- that I was going to eat reasonably, but not agonize over carb counts. It worked for me on Thanksgiving. I had very small amounts of sweet potato and dressing, and a half a portion of apple pie with ice cream. The rest of the meal was genuinely low carb. To me, this is the way I hope to live for the rest of my life.

I think that for someone who cannot resist, say, potatoes and is used to eating two and three servings of them, this might be difficult. Probably the only other alternative is to take the bite the bullet approach -- "I'm on low carb this Christmas; please help me."

I think the most dangerous thing is to get into a mind set where you think, "If I blow Christmas, then I've failed." How many times have we done that? And then the thought is, "I'll start after the New Year," except, of course, on January 1 you have the flu, so it's starting after that, and...... and... and.....

I'd love to read other strategies, but good luck to you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 20:30

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink Holiday strategies

Hey Patti and Alto,
I wasn't too hard on myself...I chose what I was going to splurge on. I allowed myself pumpkin pie and a very small portion of mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes. I made sure I had a good portion of salad along with my turkey. But I knew I would resent it if I didn't have pumpkin pie--my favorite. I knew I could resist stuffing so I didn't have any. So I knew I would be back on track the next day...but I didn't PIG out. The next day I gave any leftover sweets to my daughter's friend...she may have thought I was being nice. I was guarding myself from temptation.
Now for Christmas--my Mom will be here. She loves going for walks and getting a frozen yogurt. I will go for one with her, but I've already decided I would get a very small one that's sugar-free. Just so I can share the experience with her and not ruin my WOE. She's on Weight Watcher's and very supportive of my efforts. I think by that time we will be able to enjoy walking together, much more than before because I am being more active now. I can't wait!!! I have alot to lose, so I have to pace myself and figure out what I can live with for the long haul...so I'm thrilled that I have so much more control than I ever had. But I know my weaknesses and have to guard against them.... Victoria
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 22:38

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default My Holiday Plan

My Plan is to stick to my LC WOL. No compromise.

Options depending on how much you want to explain:
1) eat b4 you go
2) offer to bring something (LC of course)
3) explain that you don't eat sugar or starches, ask what the menu is and offer to bring something. Allergy/intolerance is a good excuse.
4) Explain that you've already lost xx lbs, you don't want to jeopardize your new way of eating & want to continue losing weight, can I bring something for myself? I've done this for an informal wedding reception and the hostess was very gracious. I'm blessed with many understanding friends & acquaintances who don't diss my new WOE.
5) Have an emergency supply of no sugar jerky or cheese string (individually packaged) in your purse. Step out for 'a breath of fresh air' and hoover in your emergency rations.
6) Drink lots of water.

Because I've accepted LC as my WOL, I have decided to celebrate holidays, birthdays etc without eating carbs. I don't want a carb hangover, nor do I want to gain or stall my rate of loss by eating sugar and starches.

In summary, is LCing a diet to lose weight, or is it a Way Of Life? My new WOL means I need to make *new food traditions* for holidays and celebrations that don't include sugar and starch. I'll be making 'fauxtatoes' for Christmas dinner; Serving a decadent LC dessert at the dinner I'm giving for my sister's birthday on Dec 23 (maybe Vancouver cheesecake, see LC kitchen forum); making sure I have things to make LC treats (pepperoni can be nuked to become 'dippers'); dips & veggies; cheese; Be prepared!

Last word: my motto this holiday season will be: NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS THIN FEELS - sig line of a member of this board (can't remember who)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-27-01, 22:45

BF:
Default PS to my post

I should tell you that I'm doing the Low Carb Group Project V2 (see group journals to read about it) and I'm hyped about being successful on this WOL. Today is Stillman day for me (lean protein only with 1 cup lettuce optional). Doing this project has made me very keen. I believe I lost 5 lbs the first week and that's after having already lost 40+ lbs in 7 months. I'm EXCITED about 5 lbs gone in a week! I'm EXCITED about LCing as my WOL. No way will holidays derail me from this way of eating.

Ok, my rant is over. Best wishes to each of you as we head into the holiday season. May you be victorious against all the carby temptations that will come your way!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 10:19

BF:
Unhappy Derailing?

Hi Ruth,
Everybody has to do things the way they think will work for them. I didn't "derail" because I ate pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. I am back on track and have lost since then!!! As I said I didn't PIG out, like I would have before this WOL. But I understand if that's how you feel you need to do it. I am successful, but I do allow splurges every so often. When I first started this I figured I would allow myself one time a month to eat something carby...My first splurge I went to a Mexican restaurant and had rice and beans...then I forgot to take my splurge days because I was so focused on this WOE. So when Thanksgiving came along I splurged in a very controlled way...to me that is victory. I can live with it for a way of life. I am very balanced in the way I approach this. If I am wanting something healthy like carrots, that I normally wouldn't eat because of the carbs---I will allow myself a few baby carrots along with my meal. The main thing that has brought about the weight loss for me is getting rid of the huge quantities of bread and sweets I was existing on before.
Like I said before, I have a long way to go...I don't want to burn out before I get there. I am comfortable to lose weight gradually and in a healthy manner. Victoria
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 12:44
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile A thought

For Thanksgiving, I ate a tbsp of Mash potatoes and a Tbsp of Sweet Potatoes (no sugar added), I also had a piece (a hunk) of Cherry Pie and a handful of chocolate. I lost 2 lbs that week. I broke my stall. Maybe a day of moderate charbs may help those who are stalling... Its an idea. I'm definitely doing the same for christmas.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 13:07

BF:
Wink Breaking stalls

Lessara,
I had read that in the Dana Carpender book, that sometimes one has to break a stall by eating carbs one day just to jar your system into losing again. So I think you are right on. As long as you are able to get right back to your WOE afterwards. I think when you are first starting you are more worried that you are going to mess everything up if you don't do it exactly right. But after a while you gain strength in your success and are determined to continue. Then it is possible to have a splurge on "special" occasions without screwing everything up. For example: in September for my birthday I didn't want to do the cake and ice cream thing...it was too soon and I didn't want to mess up what I was doing. But I did go out for dinner---the Mexican restaurant and enjoyed a lovely meal with my family. The only thing I ate that I shouldn't have was the tortilla chips with salsa. But considering how I used to be, I did real well. So my resolve is strong but I allow for splurges here and there...not too often. I'm very choosey. The control is there, because of the success I have already experienced. This is a WOL for me. Victoria
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 13:32

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

I really can't help much with the topic, because I waited to start Induction until Monday

Victoria,
What is the carb program that you have listed on the side? Is that an actual published plan, or your own WOL? I'm VERY interested in finding out, and discussing it with you. I'm sticking to induction, and if I lose that'll be motivation to continue, but I don't want to burn myself out, either.

I've been thinking that I'll do the stricter stuff for awhile, until I've detoxed, and then slowwwwwwly return to moderation, leaving out refined sugar and breads.

Sh'ra
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 14:09

BF:

Sh'ra,
I have adapted what I read in Dana Carpender's book, "How I Gave Up My Low Fat Diet and Lost 40 Pounds!". She has her own plan, which is what I probably really follow. But I put down her "Careful Low Carb Plan" she had adapted for a friend of hers that had health problems. It's a little less drastic. I just wanted to be able to lose gradually and not too fast, because I wanted it to be a once and for all kind of thing. Her book has really helped me...check it out. But I'm open to reading more and seeing whatever else is out there.

I will have to read about Atkins so I know what you all are talking about with this induction thing. Hope it goes well for you!!! Victoria
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 20:25

BF:
Default Re: Derailing?

Quote:
Originally posted by Victoria
Hi Ruth,
Everybody has to do things the way they think will work for them. I didn't "derail" because I ate pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. I am back on track and have lost since then!!! As I said I didn't PIG out, like I would have before this WOL. But I understand if that's how you feel you need to do it. I am successful, but I do allow splurges every so often. When I first started this I figured I would allow myself one time a month to eat something carby...

Hi Victoria,

It is great that you allow yourself a splurge on selected occasions and then can get right back to your LC program with no difficulty. I wish I had the control to splurge and then get back on track. The only splurge I ever gave myself, a margarita, I regretted because of the strong carb cravings I had for a day. Lack of control over portions/food selections/cravings is how I became morbidly obese in the first place; splurges and treats are too risky for ME.

I did not intend to give offense to you or anyone who splurges or allows themselves treats; if it works for you, great. I was responding to the original question from Patti, 'Does anyone else out there have a holiday PLAN?' Maybe I should have made that clearer in my first post. Live and learn, I guess.

Take care,
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-28-01, 22:10

BF:

Ruth,
I understand what you are saying. I think it really has to do with where you are in your weight loss. Everyone knows their own weaknesses and strengths...like I said earlier, when it was my birthday I chose not to do the cake and ice cream tradition. The kids understood and were very supportive. But now that I have several months under my belt and quite a bit of success, I felt I could handle a splurge. I was just saying that everyone has their own way of handling it. I find that there are times when I don't think there will be anything I could eat at a social event and then find that there is plenty that is OK for me on this WOE. I feel for all those that have to deal with all the Christmas goodies people bring to office parties. But your suggestions of bringing something that works for your WOE or eating before hand are great ideas.

I'm sorry if I sounded peeved. I know you were only trying to share your thoughts as well. Victoria
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 10:27

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default My 2 cents

Hi!

I think it is super that you can do what you do - but here is a question......

I completed Induction... got hit by Thanksgiving and chaos and last minute people. Fell off. I restarted Induction (round 2) and did okay -- but falltered AGAIN. Will try again today, (round 3).

Where or where are you getting the power and drive to get back on?? That is what I admire in your replies.

I need to find the inner strength somewhere and can not seem to find it. Suggestions?

Thanks.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 10:49

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Induction

Victoria - Induction is simply the 1st 14 days of Atkins (or longer if you feel you need to). It is VERY restricted - basically, meat, cheese, eggs, and some vegis - some. Have to keep it to 20g of carbs per DAY. That's rough. The only real dessert you can have in induction is sugar-free jello, and you have to take it easy with that (at least that's the only sweet I've found). It just gets a bit boring to me, but I'm surviving

A Thin Me - Keep your chin up, girlfriend! How is it that you keep "falling off the wagon"? I mean, what are you doing that you think is falling off? Going on binges, or just eating something not allowed? Perhaps you should back off induction for a bit, and just concentrate on eating a lot of meat, eggs, vegis, and some cheese (fill up on these, and you won't have a lot of room left for carbs). Anyway, can't really help unless I know what is causing you to slip.

Sh'ra
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-01, 11:38
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Lucked out

I believe that because I ate the carbs over a period of time (not all the carbs at once) is why the next day I didn't have any urges for them... I wonder if I did this before my TOM if it would have the same results... Thanksgiving was right after my TOM.
Good thing Christmas is in the same time zone, if you know what I mean