Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 05:43
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by truffle00
how many of you have also tried the Fat Fast?

I've been reading this book for the last few days. I cannot/will not eliminate coffee/tea from my lifestyle. It just ain't going to happen.

And I can't certainly live on 8 oz of protein per day, why, yesterday, I was so hungry, I indulged in more protein than required, but I needed to, to stay on program. I can't go around starving, that would not work for me.

I like the cran/water approach. I may drink this, when I get back from my trip in 2 weeks. We'll see what kind of weight I gain.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 08:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
TATA! Tonight's Very Excellent recipe. (Inspired by chatting about Vietnamese food flavours with Nancy). Sliced chicken breast, sautéed with mushrooms and a stir-fry paste of basil and chile. Add: a tsp Vietnamese fish sauce, chicken stock, water, thickened at the end with lite gravy thickener. Pour over big plateful of steamed bok choi and brocolli. This was very spicy and really good.

BTW, if you can get the konjac noodles, they would be perfect..I forgot about them as I have some in the fridge. Close to zero carbs......next time!

Brilliant! I will have to try this too. But not until I get gloves for when I dice up the chiles, I don't need my fingernails burning me again! I might even have fish sauce....

Are those noodles the ones made with Yam flour?
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 08:37
Experimenter

BF:

Thanks for the summary, Dane! I think you get all of the concepts with PSMF but he explains them better in FD.

I don't think I'd lose on anything less strict than PSMF, so it really isn't a "starter" diet for me. All I need to do is learn to moderate my free meal a bit. Its definitely pretty bingy still. However, the good news is, it isn't a free-day, its just one meal.

Quote:
And I can't certainly live on 8 oz of protein per day, why, yesterday, I was so hungry, I indulged in more protein than required, but I needed to, to stay on program. I can't go around starving, that would not work for me.

I like the cran/water approach. I may drink this, when I get back from my trip in 2 weeks. We'll see what kind of weight I gain.

Lynee, isn't that the Fat Flush diet? I think he was asking about the fat fast, from Atkins.

I never tried the Fat Fast myself but I did try at 80% fat / 20% protein diet and was hungry quite a lot, even at 1400 calories. Now I'm getting under 1000 calories and not really all that hungry. I know a lot of people believe fat is very satisfying but calorie for calorie, I think protein does a better job of satisfying your appetite.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Aug-19-05 at 08:47.
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 09:38
Experimenter

BF:

Eggs made easy!

I'm commiting PSMF heresy by using whole eggs. I just can't tolerate egg-whites. This method might also work with egg beaters or egg substitutes.

I eat my breakfast at work. Nothing but nothing sticks to me like eggs. However, how do you cook eggs at work?

Here's how I do it. I crack two eggs into a container that has a good, well-sealing lid. At work, I add in up to 1 Tbsp of water per egg, usually probably guessing... its about a 1/2T. I'm eyeballing it.

Then I reseal the container and shake it hard!

Pour the egg/water mix into a bowl and microwave until big puffy mountains form. That's about 1 minute. I grab a plastic fork and check to see how much egg liquid is left. If it is a lot, I'll put back in another 20 seconds.

You don't want to overcook! If anything leave a bit of the uncooked liquid it will set up shortly after you yank out your bowl.

I add salt and dip into a bit if Siracha Sauce (hot, garlicky chinese sauce. Oriental section of your market).

The water and shaking really makes them puffy!
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 10:49
Registered Member

Yes, my error, I was thinking Fat Flush, which is the book I've been reading.

On Wednesday, my caloric intake was less than 600, but on Thursday, I couldn't eat enough to satisfy my hunger, and my calories shot up to around 1,590.
I've been eating the "eggstirs," and have found them satisfying. They say a portioin is 1/4 cup. No way does that do anything for me. I do 1/2 cup.
0 fat, 0 cholesterol, etc.... 25 calories for 1/4 cup.

I found that sausage chili recipe you spoke about Nancy on calorie commando's and printed it out. Found another one, similiar, from meals in 30 minutes. As soon as the weather breaks, I'm going on a chili spree.

Can any of you tell me how soon after you started this program, you did a free meal? I'm into this 3-4 days, and the weekend is coming up. Will not be in charge of my meals, so... I'm figuring Fri/Sat/Sun will be low carb, moderate fat, and at least 2000 calories per day. Any comments? Thanks!

And congrats on the loss Nancy!
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 11:35
Experimenter

BF:

Hmmm.... I don't remember now, probably 3-4 days in. But I try to make them coincide with social events, if there are any on my calendar. I have gone as long as 5 days without one.

1/4 cup is about the size of a single egg. Yeah, that wouldn't satisfy me either. Today, even 2 eggs is wearing off a little early.

I found some good turkey breast slices at Costco and I am grabbing one of them as "fill-in" snacks. They're enormous slices and they're about 60 calories each. I usually have one before dinner so I can postphone dinner a bit. They are soooo good! I wish I had brought one to work because I am awfully hungry this morning.

Did I mention pickles? I like to have them around all the time. They're essentially 0 calories and oddly satisfying.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 11:48

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I hit a new psmf low today!! That makes it an even 20lbs in 8.5 weeks for me Not bad at all. I'm betting I see another new low tomorrow (ok, I'm really keeping my fingers crossed on this, but it should be possible).

I use Eggbeaters for my eggs. They taste really good to me so that works just fine. They puff up a bunch when you nuke them too
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 12:32
Registered Member

Cindy, may I ask what your average caloric intake is?

I've been dropping weight too, but my calories are fluctuating, as hunger prevails.

I found the Oscar Meyer (come in little plastic boxes) turkey and ham with literally 0 fat, and 45 calories per 6 slices helps my hunger in between meals. Sometimes, I take those 6 slices and line my "eggstirs" up with them, and broccoli, and make a huge omelette. It works for me...

I can honestly say, I do not feel deprived. I also like the unlimited veggies. I can eat a whole bowl of steamed veggies. I'm just waiting for my tummy to shrink.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 16:37

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Hi all,

Well Mr Scales has stayed up after the bump up, so glad I didn't touch my stats. Frustrating after seeing the 155.5 one morning! Actually, this could be a set point for me if such things exist, as this is about as low as I got with dieting 2 years ago..but there is still way too much fat on me..egh. So I am thinking seriously about doing the refeed as Lisa suggested, next week, perhaps Thursday. It is not clear to me how many carbs to ingest, as I have seen two different ways to figure that out...I am going to go for about 250 as a compromise.

Nancy, I found a stir fry mix in a jar for the basil/chili..maybe you can find one too in the SE Asian section. I only needed about a teaspoon of it with my half chicken breast.

Val

Pilot Gal, you are really doing FD from the sound of it, and that is fine. If your average calories over the week are significantly less than your RMR then you will lose anyway. Doing it the way you are is one way to do it- cycling calories through the week... As long as you keep a couple of VLC days in there and don't overdo the other days. Keep your extra eating to protein and you should be fine. Yes, have your free meal when out but be careful that it doesn't become a 2 day binge if you are that way inclined.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Aug-19-05, 18:12
Experimenter

BF:

Hey! I discovered something rather tasty tonight. I put Rice Wine Vinegar and about 2 drops of seasame oil on some Savoy cabbage. Num, num! I could have probably done just fine with just the vinegar.

Then I put some of that asiany chicken stuff on top and mixed it in. Boy, that was nummy!

Val, don't dispair! I've had a two week stall on PSMF before. It'll start up again.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 09:01
Experimenter

BF:

Down half a pound today! Hopefully another half gone before my free Brunch tomorrow.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 09:39
Experimenter

BF:

Wow! Ok, I'm pretty happy. I just took my measurements. Last time was about a month ago.

Down .5 inch around my shoulders.
Down 1.5 inches chest
Down 1 inch in my waist (29.5 inches now!)
Down 2 inches in my abdomen
Down .5 inch hips
Down .5 inch thighs
Down .5 in my arms
Down .5 in my forearm

However, I only lost 3 pounds. I find this very encouraging. To me it indicates I'm losing fat, not muscle.

Wow! 7" in a month.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sat, Aug-20-05 at 09:44.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 10:13

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

279.0 today Another one bites the dust I'm claiming it now even though it might be gone after my cheat meal

PG- My average calories are about 850-950. But I'm much heavier than the rest of you gals. I had my rmr tested in march at 2200 cals a day. So I'm figuring I'm getting about a 1300 cal a day deficit on psmf days. I don't measure cheat meals although my breakfast and lunch for those days is usually around 450 cals.

I think I should go measure after seeing Nancy's awesome results!! I know I'm down at least an inch in the waist and probably that much in the chest. Now if my stubborn butt fat would start melting I'd be very happy
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Aug-20-05, 15:51

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Great results Nancy...even though I weigh less than you my waist is larger..I carry a lot of fat through the middle and thighs.
I measured before I started the diet (in cm) and I am down 11.5cm (about 4 inches or so?) in the waist since doing this. So I agree with you, this has to be mostly fat and not totally reflected in scale weight.

Cindy you are doing great too. Don't forget that your metabolism will eventually not be so willing to let go and you will then need to do some adjustments a la various methods of up-regulating, then restart the diet at slightly lower calories.

Reading Lyle's books, it is obvious that most of us have never taken a truly scientific interest in what is needed to be done to keep fat off once its gone and we just relax and allow pounds to gradually creep back. It is clear to me now that the vigilance we now show plus the dedication has to be what is maintained.
One thing I am learning from all the body builders is that their obsession with muscle growth has this effect- they remain vigilant and seem to not allow more than a few pounds of real fat to accumulate before they are back at it. I think that I never got on the scales for months at a time, and as mine were in kilos, the creep doesn't seem as large, when in fact that creep represents 2.2 lbs at a time!

One problem is that watching the hugely reinforcing drop on the scales maintains the dieting behavior. But when that stops and we maintain at goal without that positive and exciting reinforcement the vigilance must remain. So I guess the daily weighing in must remain in place, and one must continue to track.

Val
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 03:29
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

NICE JOB Cindy, Nancy!!!

My weekly Flexible Dieting results.........I'm very pleased!
Code:
Date 7/22 7/31 8/7 8/14 8/21 Bust 88.5 85 87 85 85 Waist 88 87 85 85 84 Navel 104 100 99.5 99 98.5 Hips 98 95.5 95.5 94 93 L Thigh 63 62.5 62 61.5 61.5 L Calf 39 38.5 38 38.5 38 L Bi Relx 31 30.5 30 29.5 29.5 L Bi Flx 33 32.5 32 31.5 32 Wt-Kg 80 79.5 79.5 79 78.5 Wt-# 176 175 175 174 173 BF% 34.2 30.7 30.3 29.9 29.1 #Fat 59.9 53.7 53 52 51 #LBM 116 121 122 122 122

as per body fat calculator at www.drsears.com

5 hour refeed for today, planned and ready to go!

Last edited by dane : Sun, Aug-21-05 at 03:39.