Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 09:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default PSMF and Flexible Diet support here! August, 2005

Hey all! Rather than have that one huge thread in Tips and Stalls, we should have a monthly thread here, how about it? We used to do that for carb cycling.

Just a reminder that Flexible Diet is another Lyle McDonald diet that is like PSMF but not as strict with the calories. I believe Nawchem (Nancy) is following that diet and she is having great success with it! Perhaps she can provide the high lights.

Here's my report for the week so far: I'm back down to my all-time low (167.2 by the new scales, 163.5 by the old ones) after having taken a week off following my Dad's death. I got pretty carb crazy that week and ended up paying for it intestinally and my joints ached and a 7 pound (mostly water) gain.

My clothes seem to be getting looser at a rate faster than the scales are changing. Which would seem impossible except I'm taking DHEA and testosterone as prescribed by my anti-aging doctor, so I might... possibly... be putting on muscle mass despite the lack of calories. At least, one can hope.

I think most of the pants in my closet fit me now, with perhaps one exception. And then again, some of those pants are too tight to want to wear in public, unless I want to suffer a perpetual atomic wedgie.

My typical day on PSMF includes:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, scrabled in the microwave. Topped with about 1t of siracha sauce.

Lunch: Tons of baby lettuces and herbs topped with lots of grilled chicken breast and artichoke hearts. Dressing is low fat, cut with either nonfat or else balsamic vinegar to reduce the calories further.

Snack: Kosher pickles!

Dinner: I make chili (in large quantities) fairly often. Lately experimenting with pot roasts and trying to make SE asian creations with chicken breast and lots of wonderful spices, herbs and peppers.

Dessert: NF Cottage Cheese with a few unsweetened frozen raspberries and Da Vinci/Torani SF syrup on top. Sometimes low carb/NF yogurt with the same. SF popsicles. Occassionally a scoop of light coolwhip with raspberries or SF syrups.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 11:33
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%
Default August

Ohhhhh how nice, Nancy!

Today is day 2, I had a brunch, instead of breakfast, because of the late start..

I rode my bicycle over to the library, 20 minutes one way, and stopped at the market to hit their scales. My size 12 shorts are getting very loose in the waist, but then I had lost a lb last week... I don't expect anything just yet with this program, just getting the body used to lower calories, and very low fat.. Plus... I'm burping fish oil.

Count me in. I'm in this with y'all.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

cool!! I love the discussion of something other than Atkins and South Beach. Nothing against them - but I've been tweaking low carb for years..frequenting bodyrecomp. etc. and discussions only on the RULES of those books get old.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 12:25
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Plus... I'm burping fish oil.

LOL! I take mine at bed time so I don't have to be conscious when the fishy burps hit.

I figured we could toss in Flexible Dieting to the mix since it is similar to PSMF, at least from what I've gleaned so far from Nawchem.

I tend to be a rule bender too, Meg.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 13:04

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 182/169.5/150 Female 5feet 5 inches
BF:39%
Progress: 39%

I am having these one day pig out fests (out of weakness) and they are stalling me (I wonder why?!). Im getting very fustrated at myself bc instead of losing, Ive been hanging around the same weight range for over two weeks....I think all the compliments Ive been getting are making my head blow up. ARGH! Im sitting at work eating two cans of DRY tuna and thinking, "why did I have those bagels...pasta....guava jam....mcdonalds...and pizza last Sunday?!" (the list goes on but I wont go there!)..LOL....i need to get back on track!
Nancy, thanks for the new PSMF home!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 13:18

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Hi PSMF Friends!!

PilotGal - Fish burps are REVOLTING I tried the at night thing and putting the caps in the freezer. 2 nights of waking up to fishy nasty oil taste in my mouth, I switched to flax seed oil

KCookys - I'm having the same problem. I am stuck within the same 5lb range as I was nearly a month ago. I know some of it's water with my tom, but I'd really like to break into a new decade weight wise. I seem to be able to do really well for 2-3 weeks, then I'll have a week of social obligations (like this past week) where psmf goes right out the window. The biggest downside is that after a few days of non-psmf, I'm STARVING and I'm up 4-6lbs

I'm off to a good start for today. My next cheat meal will be Saturday. I'm crossing my fingers that it will be a cheat MEAL and not cheat DAY
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 13:26
Experimenter

BF:

KCookys, maybe PSMF is too deprivational for you. I wonder if Flexible Dieting might be better? I haven't gotten that book yet. Also, I think eating tasty but (mostly) legal food helps keep me from being too deprived feeling and binging in frustration. Is that something that would help you?

I am so thrilled to be losing weight that it helps keep me on track. Its a real rush to fit into new or old pants I couldn't wear before! I occassionally have my oppsies. But I get back on track right away and that limits the damage.

Meg, how's the baby coming along? Are you doing any sort of diet now? Staying low carb?

I'm having a free meal tonight. It'll be low carb except for the big, honking baked potato I'm planning.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 16:28

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

OK chiming in here. I get "NO REFLUX" or "BURPLESS" fish oil..surely you can get this too..e.g. try http://www.coromega.com/index3.html
As a result, no burps. The ordinary plain fish oil makes me burp too...blech.

LCookys, Lyle suggests confining free meals to one meal at night- there is no reason to do this all day binge. But I agree with Nancy, perhaps FD is the way to go for you.

Cindy, just keep to low carb on those days when you don't have much control over what is served to you, and keep portions very small...I did this when on a trip for 10 days and didn't gain a thing. Sounds like both you girls are carb sensitive, so I would avoid them as much as possible even during free meals. I am not all that carb sensitive, but avoid them anyway because I don't think processed carbs are healthy and a total waste of good calories. (I'd much rather 'spend' them on some nice cheese or a piece of low carb cheese cake!)

My results have been good with this diet, and appear now to be consistently dropping one pound a week. I will be taking my two week break in early September when I do another trip. I intend to mainly low carb and keep portions under control as much as possible.

Val

Val
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 19:14
Experimenter

BF:

Oh boy, I overdid my free meal tonight. I remembered my BIL has granola bars in my garage and I helped myself. Ate... several-ish.

Oh boy, my tummy is really rolling around right now and my heart is pounding. I don't think I can handle that many carbs in one serving!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 19:24

Same thing happened to me when I ate too many french fries last week...yuk.

I keep a stash of 70% dark chocolate for a treat after free meals...that seems to do the trick. Granola bars are very hi in sucrose etc. You must have had a sper insulin spike.

V.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 02:48
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hello!
I'm doing Lyle's Flexible Diet. Got both FD and PSMF, so I can follow your discussions, heh.

Anyway, I love the FD.......this morning I hit my all-time low since I started low carbing this year......so I'd say it's a good plan.

Pilot! Glad to see you giving it a go!

Cindy,
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 03:28

Hi Lisa, great to see you here..BTW, you are looking terrific. I hope to look a lot better this time next year, after hopefully having improved things with weights.

Perhaps you can tell me how many carbs one is meant to do in a structured refeed? Lyle over on bodyrecomp tells me to switch to Cat 2 now..but in the book it doesn't really detail the refeed. Are you doing them?

I had a Great Dane once- poor lovely girl got cancer before she was 2. She was bred though as she had a great nature...I left for Australia and gave her to some nice folks who did this so hopefully her line lives on in her offspring.

Val

Last edited by VALEWIS : Thu, Aug-18-05 at 04:00. Reason: wrong name, left out words
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 04:10
muscle bound

Hey Val!
Yeah, I just read your thread over at body recomp. About switching to a Cat. 2....well, I suppose you could try it for 2 weeks, maybe, and see. I noticed your loss is sort of slow (for a PSMF'er........for FD it's good, ), so going down a category might slow you more OR it could spike your metabolism and help you lose more.

Anyway, I just did my 1st FD refeed this past Sunday, and plan to do another this Sunday. It went REALLY well. However, I planned out everything I was going to eat the day before, and stuck to that plan.

Basically, it's exactly as he details it in the PSMF book, which I just checked. The only thing he left out, and WHY I don't now, is the amt of carbs you should eat. He kind of leaves it up in the air, huh?

Sending you a PM,

BTW.....danes rule!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 04:18
muscle bound

Val..........your PM box is full! I can't PM'er you until you clear it out!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 04:21
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I'm so glad to see another one on FD. Good job on the refeed Dane most of mine have gone well. But the last one I had all kinds of leftover food and it was tom and it ended up being two days long and I gained 9lbs. So I'm taking a break from refeed and just doing freemeals for a while (until I lose these 9lbs). Every single month I cheat during tom and haven't found a way to stick to any plan so far. Any ideas?