Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Aug-17-05, 11:12

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
When I read where someone wants to tone up, my mind translates it to mean, they want to be firm but NOT muscular. Oddly a lot of people really don't care for the look of muscles. I have a hard time with the concept, but I've talked to enough people to know it's true. My own son tells me my arms are too muscular for a woman. I've often thought about starting a thread to poll people on their thoughts on muscularity. But I'm sure it's like everything else-- not everyone thinks the same things look good. This is just another one of those things.
The beauty of just wanting to be toned is, you sure don't have to work nearly as hard. I'd say to someone who just wants to tone, lift weights, if you start seeing more muscle than you'd like, back off the poundage. Your muscles grow in accordance to the requirements you put on them. I go as heavy as I safely can go, try to eat properly for muscle growth, and use creatine. But.....I want to be as muscular as I can naturally be. And at 50 years old, I'm not expecting too much.

You look great and from your journal, have apparently worked hard to get where you are. You should be an inspiration to everyone.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 04:14

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:

You look great and from your journal, have apparently worked hard to get where you are. You should be an inspiration to everyone.

What a nice thing to say Kb. I sincerely appreciate those kind words.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 09:20

Plan: Atkins, Now Medical Weigh
Stats: 217/206.4/170 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 23%

I think some people look absolutely awesome with muscle. However, I'm one of those that just wants the toned look. I have been trying to "tone" but I'm showing some muscle now. My husband has asked me to cut back on the lifting because he notices too and he doesn't want me to have muscle. For now I guess it is better to have muscle so I have some sort of shape but he doesn't understand that I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
When I read where someone wants to tone up, my mind translates it to mean, they want to be firm but NOT muscular. Oddly a lot of people really don't care for the look of muscles. I have a hard time with the concept, but I've talked to enough people to know it's true. My own son tells me my arms are too muscular for a woman. I've often thought about starting a thread to poll people on their thoughts on muscularity. But I'm sure it's like everything else-- not everyone thinks the same things look good. This is just another one of those things.
The beauty of just wanting to be toned is, you sure don't have to work nearly as hard. I'd say to someone who just wants to tone, lift weights, if you start seeing more muscle than you'd like, back off the poundage. Your muscles grow in accordance to the requirements you put on them. I go as heavy as I safely can go, try to eat properly for muscle growth, and use creatine. But.....I want to be as muscular as I can naturally be. And at 50 years old, I'm not expecting too much.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 11:20

Supergirll - As an alternative, you can switch to low volume workouts 2-3 times a week, working at high percentages of your single rep maximum (1RM).

This kind of training using compound movements is GREAT for muscle tone/strength and burning lots of calories, but won't elicit a lot of muscle growth. You can perform the exercises one at a time, or in timed intervals for a little extra intensity.

Another alternative would be to simulate some of the kettlebell exercises using dumbbells, barbells and even medicine balls. Two to four, 20-30 minute sessions a week will keep you tone/strong and help to burn lots of extra calories.

If you would like some examples of how to do something like this, I can put something together for you.

Almost everyone will experience a little bit of muscle gain at first. Without plenty of quality protein/fat calories and optimal weight training, muscle gains will level out before to long.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 15:44

Plan: Atkins, Now Medical Weigh
Stats: 217/206.4/170 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 23%

I would truly appreciate any more information or websites you have to share. I would rather have a "skinny" look like I once had rather than a "muscular" look (but will deal with a little muscle before looking fat).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfunTH
Supergirll - As an alternative, you can switch to low volume workouts 2-3 times a week, working at high percentages of your single rep maximum (1RM).

This kind of training using compound movements is GREAT for muscle tone/strength and burning lots of calories, but won't elicit a lot of muscle growth. You can perform the exercises one at a time, or in timed intervals for a little extra intensity.

Another alternative would be to simulate some of the kettlebell exercises using dumbbells, barbells and even medicine balls. Two to four, 20-30 minute sessions a week will keep you tone/strong and help to burn lots of extra calories.

If you would like some examples of how to do something like this, I can put something together for you.

Almost everyone will experience a little bit of muscle gain at first. Without plenty of quality protein/fat calories and optimal weight training, muscle gains will level out before to long.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 22:20
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Loosing fat and building muscle will change your appearance, but has to be done both, you will really not look 'muscular', but you will be smaller in general, good luck with training.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-05, 00:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirll
I would truly appreciate any more information or websites you have to share. I would rather have a "skinny" look like I once had rather than a "muscular" look (but will deal with a little muscle before looking fat).

Ok, here's one example routine that you could do. It will serve you well by building strength, muscle density (tone) and maybe even a small amount of size.

EX:
Pick two exercises per muscle. Work two major muscle groups per day.
5 sets of 3-5 reps of one exercise and 3 sets of 6-8 reps of the second exercise. Do this 2-3 times per week on alternating days. Use your 8-10 rep max for a starting point with weight. Avoid isolation exercises. Up the weight by 5 lbs at least every other workout.

On the days that fall in between your resistance training days, do 3-5 sets of light weight dumbbell swings for high reps and the ab work of your choice. Do as many reps as you can within about a 5-10 minute time period. On the first high-rep swing workout of the following week, try and up your reps, or minutes, or reduce the amount of rest in between sets. 2-3 times per week will be enough. If on any particular day, you don’t feel rested enough to train, take a day off and come back the following day ready to go.

I have used this very method of training on several clients with great success. One client went from a size 38 waist to a 34, added 50 lbs to some big lifts and go from cleaning, snatching and swinging a 35 lb kettlebell to a 72 lb kettlebell… for reps... in 6 months. I will be starting a new client on this very type of workout, tomorrow.

Good luck with your training.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-24-05, 00:55
Registered Member

Plan: Combination
Stats: 235/160/150 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

For the life of me I cannot understand the recommendation of leg press, chest press, and shoulder press. The leg press makes sense, since it works most of your lower body. The chest press will work your chest, shoulders, and the back of your arms. But I cannot for the life of me understand why someone would recommend a shoulder press if they only mentioned 3 exercises. A better exercise would be a row. A row works your upper back (primarily the lats), and the front of your arms. By substituting a row instead of a shoulder press you are working a lot more muscle. If you are only going to do a few weight lifting moves, I would suggest sticking to ones that work a lot of muscle rather than ones that just work a little bit. Some good exercises to include:

Legs/Butt;
Leg presses
Squats
Step-ups
Deadlifts

Upper Body;
Bench Press
Chest Press (usually refers to a machine version of a Bench Press)
Row
Lat Pull-downs
Pullovers

You may also want to do some ab/lower back work to maintain strength in your core. It sounds like you have access to a gym, so you should be able to find someone to show you these various exercises.

Brett
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-05, 11:48

Plan: wholesome foods
Stats: 139/130/125 Female 5'7"
BF:?
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozzz
I've been LCing for around five months now and the majority has been while sedentary and not exercising.
While I've done this, I seem to have become just a smaller fat person. I've still got that jiggle all over my body - mainly my stomach.

I've read weight resistance will diminish this 'skinny-fat' look and tone you up. A friend of mine is a fitness instructor and tested how many reps I could do. I explained the parts I wanted toning, stomach etc. and he advised I do chest presses, leg presses, and shoulder presses all at 10-15 reps each. Do I need to increase my weight resistance workout to something more intense than this, or in a month's time will I be seeing results from 3x a week?

I've not got much lean muscle tissue left and want to gain back muscle to increase my metabolism. But mainly because I'm sick of being 110 pounds and still flabby. I wouldn't mind putting on a few pounds, aslong as this podge on my stomach disappears! I'm also intending to do 30-40 minutes of cardio on a stationary bike 6 x a week. However, I think I'm going to struggle with that alone as my legs feel extremely weak when just climbing stairs or walking at a moderate pace.

Is there anyone here that could give the much appreciated advice?
The whole ordeal and frustration of feeling constantly weak is stressing me so much that it reduces me to tears.

Thanks.

A little over a year ago I had gotten down to 117. At 5'7" with a medium frame, I looked too skinny. Now an avid exerciser my whole life, I was probably(although at my lowest weight), in the worse shape I had ever been. I lost soooo much muscle which probably contributed something to the fact why I thought I was 'fat'. I wasn't 'toned'. Like yourself, walking up the stairs took a lot out of me. I was malnourished (didn't realize at the time, but I wasn't eating enough) and not 'fit'. About 7 months ago, I quit smoking, I started running (about 30 min.s) 4-6 days a week and I do pilates or yoga (mix it up) at least 4 times a week (30min-1 hr. sessions). I did gain some weight from not smoking, but I really needed to. I also know that I've gained ALOT of muscle. I think I look, and feel, better than I EVER have.

So yes, I do understand the 'skinny-fat' thing. I think through trial and error we much each find our own 'routine' and what works for us. I do recommend pilates and yoga for the mid-section. I do vinyasa yoga and I know it's great for dwindling my waistline. Also, you might want to look into kickboxing. The punches and kicks all focus on the core for execution. I have about 150 tapes at home for a variety (have been collecting for 12 years). So if classes and\or gyms intimidate you buy a tape (of what exercise interests you) or two and try it out! Most of the tapes\dvd's offer a 30 day trial, so if you don't like it then send it back for a full refund. Best of luck!