Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 18:48
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%
Default Higher Insulin Levels May Contribute to Alzheimer's

Higher Insulin Levels May Contribute to Alzheimer's Mon Aug 8,11:46 PM ET

MONDAY, Aug. 8 (HealthDay News) -- Elevated insulin levels may contribute to the development of Alzheimer's disease, and investigators hope this new finding will lead to more effective treatment strategies, according to a report in the Aug. 8 issue of the Archives of Neurology.

Researchers at the University of Washington in Seattle raised blood insulin levels in 16 healthy older adult volunteers and then measured changes in the volunteers' levels of inflammatory markers and beta-amyloid (a protein associated with Alzheimer's disease) in their cerebrospinal fluid and plasma.

"Moderate peripheral hyperinsulinemia (increased levels of insulin) provoked striking increases in CNS (central nervous system) inflammatory markers," the study authors wrote. "Our findings suggest that insulin-resistant conditions such as diabetes mellitus and hypertension may increase the risk for Alzheimer's disease, in part through insulin-induced inflammation."

The research team concluded: "Although this model has obvious relevance for diabetes mellitus, hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance are widespread conditions that affect many nondiabetic adults with obesity, impaired glucose tolerance, cardiovascular disease and hypertension. Our results provide a cautionary note for the current epidemic of such conditions, which, in the context of an aging population, may provoke a dramatic increase in the prevalence of [Alzheimer's disease]."

More information

The U.S. National Institute on Aging has more about Alzheimer's disease

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/2005080...HNlYwMlJVRPUCUl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-10-05, 18:52
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Elevated insulin levels may contribute to the development of Alzheimer's disease, and investigators hope this new finding

What is new about this? All the Syndrome X, Metabloic Syndrome, Atkins, Diabetes, and other books have been pointing this out for years.

Eating bad causes a lot of inflamation throughout the body - including your brain.

If you work backwards, you see that Type 2 diabetics have a high risk of mental disease, high insulin levels cause type 2 diabetics, and a high glycemic diet causes high insulin levels.

What really torques me off is -- was not one mention of what the cure is!

Amazing that "medical experts" can spend all this time and money and not fully realize the root cause and solution that millions of us already know!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 03:57

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%

give it time, kebaldwin. give it time. they'll figure it out.

p.s. i LOVE your signature. now if only i could take it to heart...
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 07:04
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanipure
i LOVE your signature. now if only i could take it to heart...

That's my story ... and I'm sticking to it! (even though no one else thinks I'm that sweet :-)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 08:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm pretty sure this is what caused my Dad's Alz. He definitely showed every sign of metabolic syndrome even though his doctor's never diagnosed it. Man, that guy had a crazy sweet tooth too. In fact, his sister has Alz too and I bet she ate the same way.

Unfortunately he just passed away a week ago.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-11-05, 10:22
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'm pretty sure this is what caused my Dad's Alz. He definitely showed every sign of metabolic syndrome even though his doctor's never diagnosed it. Man, that guy had a crazy sweet tooth too. In fact, his sister has Alz too and I bet she ate the same way.

Unfortunately he just passed away a week ago.

I'm sorry to hear that.

I take after my father's health, body, and physically. My father takes after his father and mother - who from pictures, I deduce, that they had metabolic syndrome and the associated mental problems, heart attack, etc.

I'm glad that I saw the light and stopped this worsening progression through the generations. I'll bet you are too.

At least you doing everything to stop the progression for future generations.