Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 17:17

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 336/289.8/250 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Low Carb. Gross but...

Low Carb. Gross but... it works!

Before I changed my eating habbits to Low Carb. The only meat I would eat would be sandwitches or burgers. I really never eat meat, like steak or chicken pork chops and all that stuff. I actually hate the stuff. But Im on my first week and im down 10lbs.

Does anyone else feels this way about meat. I also hate hate hate eggs. I have been eating alot of shrimps and delie meats. Im thinkning of getting into eating low carb vegies, like green beans and egg plants, and salad. Do you think I will still drop the pounds while eating more LC veggies and less meat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jul-15-05, 18:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 250/190/185 Male 6' 1"
BF:30+/16/15
Progress: 92%

Vince, do yourself a big favour and read the book - it will make adopting a reduced carb way of life much easier. You don't have to eat massive amounts of meat and eggs - and "eating low carb vegies, like green beans and egg plants, and salad." is recommended from day one.

Cheers,

Malcolm
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 08:33

BF:

I guess I am alone on this. Meat sucks by its self!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 08:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

why would you only eat meat? there are so many vegetables you can have as a side dish. go check out the recipe section. there is a zucchini dish with sour cream, parmesan cheese, zucchini and egg that can fry up like a zucchini pancake---there is a scalloped cauliflower recipe, just tons of other ways to prepare vegetables to add a little flavor to your meal.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 08:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I enjoy meat, but I often use it as a component in other recipes.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 09:13

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

You don't have to eat meats by themselves. Make a stir fry with lots of vegetables around the meats. I use the same basic vegetables (onions, bell peppers, garlic) and vary the meat and spices to make different tasting foods. I do mexican, chinese, italian, indian using the same basic procedures and changing meats and spices and adding some different vegetables.

The meats are just an ingredient as are the vegetables.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 09:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince3325

Ummm...Vince, the point that Malcolm was trying to make is that there is no low carb plan out there that is just meat and nothing else.
Please...do yourself a huge favor and get (and read) a book or two on the subject so you understand what you need to do. Even Atkins induction phase requires that you eat at least 3 cups of salad greens or 2 cups salad greens and 1 cup of cooked vegetable from the allowed list for induction.
If followed correctly, the early stages of the Atkins plan is really high fat, adequate protein, low carb. Not all meat all the time.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

What are you objections to meat? You dont like the taste, texture, or do you feel you are more of a vegetarian?

Maybe you just need to find some ways of preparing it that you enjoy.

Again, read the book! I never ate so many veggies as I did while eating LC!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

don't eat meat if you don't like it. Use your head and find some other recipes. I go through periods where I basically live off steak and other meats.. then others where I hardly have any meat at all for weeks at a time.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 10:40

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have never done low carb without veggies. I even have vegetables for breakfast if I want them. Low carb means that processed flour and/or sugar and starches are removed from your diet. No breads, pasta, candy, potaoes etc. Carbohydrates come from other foods such as bell peppers, avocadoes, squash, egg plant, salads, spinach, cucumbers, nuts and even some fruit have low concentrations of carbohydrates. If you are not including them in your diet, you are cheating yourself out of the full gamut of a low carb lifestyle. Don't let that happen. As for protein, eat what you enjoy. Prepare your sandwiches as lettuce wraps. There is no need for bread. I love burgers and I usually have them wrapped in lettuce, cheese, tomaotoes and onions. We are allowed vegetables on low carb because over 90% of vegetables are low in carbohydrates. Get the book. It is worth it.

Last edited by black57 : Sat, Jul-16-05 at 10:49.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-16-05, 13:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scthgharpy
What are you objections to meat? You dont like the taste, texture, or do you feel you are more of a vegetarian?

Maybe you just need to find some ways of preparing it that you enjoy.

Again, read the book! I never ate so many veggies as I did while eating LC!

I have been eating a salad with dinner and im starting to enjoy it more now.
Im not a vegetarian, but I before this I would almost never eat eggs or steak. Im just a big veggie and fruit guy. Im doing well , I have read up about alot of stuff and will probly bring my self to read a book, even though I am not much of a book reader.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-17-05, 21:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, on and off
Stats: 190/175/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:12-13% (?)
Progress: 60%

And here we have the "myth" of Atkins, et. al. "No vegetables!" Nothing could be further from the truth. When I low carb I am particularly more focused on eating vegetables and low carb fruits (apricots, grape fruit, cantalope [or low glycemic] etc.) then when I am not low carbing.

I think that is one of those "myths" that the "anti" low carb crowds promots: "Oh, on Atkins you don't eat vegetables, you just eat Spam and Pork Rinds!" Bull S%i&. That crap comes from people who have not taken the time to study the low carb approach.

I eat more broccoli, green beans, cabbage, tomatoes, spinach, lettuces, cucumbers, onions, cauliflower, snow peas, apricots, etc. when I am on Atkins then when I am not.

Anyway, Vince, add some broccoli to your dinner. A great dish is sausage sauted with yellow squash and tomatoes, add a gree salad on the side and you'll be happier than a pig in poop.

Jon
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 02:08

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

The veggie list for induction is in my gym log on page one if you would like to read it! Of course, the book helps!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 07:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/200/170 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 57%

Vince,
If reading books is not your cup of tea, try the Atkins Website. This link is "how to do Atkins" http://atkins.com/howto/index.html

You'll see so many "read the book" responses all over this forum because we all want you to succeed! I'll just add my own "read the how to website" to the chorus.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-05, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince3325

Hi Vince
It's possible to follow low carb without eating meat or eggs. If you enjoy dairy, nuts, and avocados that would certainly help. Or maybe try to find a meat you enjoy.
Me personally I am a huge carnivore, I love heavy meaty foods. I thought I hated fish, but that's because the only fish I had eaten was that tasteless light fish, the kind that falls apart, OR processed/breaded "fish" in fishsticks and fish fillets. When I tasted a salmon steak, I was hooked. I actually have now developed a taste for "light" fish as well. Same thing with avocado. I was visciously against it, it was so slimy and gross, but then after having it a few times I've grown to love it.

Here are some ideas...

1) Pumpkin bake (it is made with dairy and eggs to make a hearty pumpkin cheesecake that can actually work as a meal)
2) Chicken caesar salads (I know you don't like meat but a lot of people like chicken chunked up in a salad with creamy caesar)
3) guacamole with lots of sour cream, cheese, salsa...
4) nuts are quick, grab a handful on the go
5) eggplant parmesan (don't bread the eggplant, or use seasoned soyflour or something instead)
6) lasagna made with broiled eggplant slices & portabello mushrooms
7) various pasta dishes using spaghetti squash (or dreamfields). Some ideas are alfredos with shrimp/chicken, or chunky meat sauce etc.
8) creamy/cheesy caseroles made with veggies such as spinach, mushrooms, broccoli.
9) ground up cauliflower and stir fry it like rice; chunk up meat and toss it in.

Basically what I'm trying to say is you can make any former dish low carb if you learn to replace starch with veggies. There's no reason to eat only plain meats, and there is no reason to give up your old favorites. If you wanted to you could even bake or buy low carb versions of plain starches (breads and bagels and cereal) or sweets (cookies and muffins and cakes) and eat those, if that's what you lived on before lol. I wouldn't recommend it of course but if you absolutely refuse to eat anything else it's still better than not doing low carb.

If you tell me what sort of foods you enjoy, it would certainly help. It's hard to make suggestions when all you know is they don't like meat and eggs.