Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jul-09-05, 22:12

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 247/149/120 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

Hi Juelz,
I totally agree with you that it doesnt matter at all what weight you are the feelings are still the same. I want to do a plan consistently, it doesnt have to be perfect just consistent. I'm tired of one week, down, next week up. It is such an emotional rollercoaster for me, and I want off the friggin ride...
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 00:10

BF:

I need to regain control of my life. I am going to make a mini goal of one week no binging. I feel much more comfortable overeating something legal than on something illegal. To me overeating and binging are two different things. When I overeat I just have to unbuttom the top of my jeans, if I binge then I feel sick, and am outside of myself, and numb to any feelings.Would anybody like to join me in a binge free week? Of course, if you fall off the wagon we will be here to lovingly pick you up
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 01:07

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Oddly enough....I do the same things you guys do. I eat and eat and then even if I am full, eat more. Today is one of those days where I MUST eat everything and I am meat and egg fasting...that is SO hard when I get like this. I am running out of food I can eat. It makes me feel so terrible. My brother looked at what I was eating the one night: a pound of ground beef with two pieces of fish mixed in and commented rudely about it. I cannot help it.

It is nice not being the only person who has this issue.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 01:17

BF:

Ayustar,
I'm sorry that your brother made you feel bad about your eating choices, and that your spirits are low. Are you eating the meat to prevent you from eating other things? I think we all need to forgive ourselves, and stop beating ourselves so much. Trust me it is easier said that done.I know but I have to try and stop the binging or I will never get to where I want to be in life with my weight. I looked in your gallery and what an inspiration you are!! Very beautiful..
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 02:23

BF:

I took this list from my journal about why I binge.What are yours? And what do you think we can do to prevent us from binging. I honestly dont know..

These are the reasons I binge or eat off plan
Loneliness
Anxiety
It tastes good
Boredom
I'm trying to get my share of the "Good stuff" because I know I wont be able to eat it for a while..
It smells good
I think that I have enough self control to just have one or just one bite but I dont
I figure tomorrow I will be "Good"
I figure tomorrow is a new day
i like the texture of it in my mouth
I like to hurt myself, by making myself feel crappy
I like the sugar high
I try to cover up my feelings with food
I had a crappy childhood
stress
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 08:54

Plan: SB,FFP
Stats: 239.4/239.4/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy

Quote:
Would anybody like to join me in a binge free week?

I will join you on this.....

Reasons I binge or eat off plan

I feel hopeless and Why bother?(EE-emotional eater)
I am upset (EE)
I get depressed about the way I look(EE)
I have little will power when around illegal food
I remember how good something tasted or felt in my mouth and I think I can stop at 1 bite.
If I get anxious about anything(have had this for a while now)
If I feel rejected----even if it is a false feeling(part of my anxiety)
I had a hard childhood
I miss my MawMaw & PawPaw(they both have passed away in the last 21 months-----they raised me and were like my mom and dad)

I have so many others......geesh!!

Pete, I think I may need to make an appointment for a therapist....I have a good many issues and I cry alot......I really am unhappy "being" me.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 09:10

BF:

Hi Sherry,
I'm so glad that someone has decided to join me on a binge free week. It will be hard but I know we can do it. Many people have overcome this problem and we shall too...That is good that you have written down the reasons that you binge...You're gaining a little control because you're figuring out what your triggers are. Of course I'm no therapist, but someone to listen to you and help build your spirits up is just as good imo. I need to really conccentrate I think on my food, and the whole act of it. Many times I dont think about the food I am eating.. I just shove... I barely even chew.Maybe that will help us?Big Hugs Pete
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 11:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hi!

I'm so happy that you are reaching out Pete!! Good Job!!

I have spent 2 yrs going to OA meetings and have learned alot going to them. The things that I learned there have enabled me to stay focused on my plan today. However, I did not start my plan this time until I felt that I had truly dealt with the things that sent me to eat compulsively and I still deal with those issues today.

The things that help me now are the tools that I learned in OA.....logging my food each, venting when I need to vent...supporting others and giving back. Setting boundaries in areas that I need to have boundaries on ie: family members that have me feeling like I'm worthless and a failure!! Managing my internal dialog!!! Telling that nasty beast to shut his stupid mouth and focus on the foods that I can eat!!

There are things about an in person meeting that are not available in cyber space. I would like to strongly suggest that if you struggle with these issues and cannot stay on plan for more than a couple of days, that you find a meeting close to you and GO!!! You won't be sorry!!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 14:24

BF:

Hi Judy,
Thanks so much for your words...Great advice.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 14:28

BF:

Reasons why I overeat:

If I eat a little *it's a normal portion for a normal person -_-* I am still VERY hungry.
I have to eat until I am full.
I am bored
Anxious
HUNGRY
It is tastey!!
I cannot help myself

But the food is all legal and when it's not, the binges are worse. I hate it.

But then I can go days and days without eating. I drink and drink and drink. I cannot stop that either, lol.

Pete, thanks for your kind words!! We can beat this!

I think the reason I am eating the meat is because I know it is the only way now that I can lose the rest of the weight. It worked. I got down to 108 on the diet. I felt awesome. It was working. I don't weight myself so much anymore because well, if I fill myself with food, it doesn't register properly lol. I get a bit discouraged.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 14:59

BF:

Hi Ayustar,
One day at a time right? Today I've been having a positive mindset, and am going to do good. I even feel like exercising Go me! But feeling and doing are two different things Its amazing how many people feel the way I do and its nice to know that I'm not alone in my thinking and actions. Sometimes I feel that way.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 15:21

BF:

I had realized I had a problem a while ago, I just never did anything about it, because all while I was doing Atkins *still am of course* I just ate and ate and ate. I hate it.

I looked at my boyfriend last night and I was like "What is wrong with me?" He is like "I know." I was like "I wish I could stop it." I wasn't sure if he got what I ment, but he did. He was like "You just eat and eat and eat. You have to learn to moderate." .......Yeah, right. I would have done that long ago. I can out eat him. He is like 250 pounds and he eats pretty well. But I can still out eat him, nothing to be proud of lol.

I use my ab thing everynight, maybe twice. It depends. I walk a bit too, because I like to.

Yeah, feeling and doing....huge differences lol. I hear you there.

One day at a time, definately. Luckily when I go to work, I don't eat for like 9 hours, lol. Not that it is a good thing, but it is the only time I can actually stop myself. I drink and drink and drink though lol.

You might as well excercise if you feel like it.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 15:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayustar
I looked at my boyfriend last night and I was like "What is wrong with me?" He is like "I know." I was like "I wish I could stop it." I wasn't sure if he got what I ment, but he did. He was like "You just eat and eat and eat. You have to learn to moderate." .......Yeah, right. I would have done that long ago. I can out eat him. He is like 250 pounds and he eats pretty well. But I can still out eat him, nothing to be proud of lol. .

My husband is 5'11 and weighs 180. He's skinny, and always says to me just eat smaller meals, space them out, fill up on this and that. Yes I can do those things, I can fill up on veggies and meat, but then I will stop go and eat whatever I was craving ontop of that, of course feeling sick and am walking around feeling like pure misery. I know he tries to understand but in all reality he cant because he's never been there...
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 15:31

BF:

Yep, that is what I am dealing with too. When I am at home it just makes it sooo much worse because everything is available to me. I always try to fill up on liquids. That usually NEVER works. Nothing really does. It's terrible.

I wonder where that kind of eating comes from. It makes no sense.

The only thing that really worked in the past for this issue was Hoodia. That actually DOES work. I just kinda ran out. So I think this pay I HAVE to get some because it did work for me. I would get so full quickly. Like I just wouldn't want to eat another bite and it wasn't HALF of what I would normally consume. I think maybe if you tried it maybe that would help. Because it did help me muchly.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jul-10-05, 15:33
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
I know he tries to understand but in all reality he cant because he's never been there...

Yes!! exactly!! This is where the meetings come into play as there is a very powerful thing that happens when you sit in a group and share your story. You look around the room and see the people listening to you all shaking their heads in agreement as they alone...know what we are feeling! The connection is amazing!! Then we truly know that we are not alone in our misery and that there is hope of change!!

I'm sitting here thinking about how to put into words, my bottom and what happened to me when I hit my bottom... to make me want to do anything to make it all stop. I'm going to write about this as it just may help you!!