Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 10:24

Plan: none now
Stats: 176/153/140 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress:

I love getting BIOLOGICAL...

Cutting carbs too much for a long time COULD be dangerous and cause permanent damage to the body.

Why, you may ask? Well, the body gets most of its energy from ATP. ATP is the gas and the body is the car... got to have it to live. ATP is derived from many sugars and monosaccarhides(mono-simple sugars) like glucose that come from carbohydrates, which is unlike any other food we take in. Glucose is the simplest form of sugar that is needed for everything... animals and plants. Glucose is needed on the cellular level. So without glucose, things tend to either slow down or die... cell by cell. Brain cells depend on glucose as their PRIMARY source of energy. Without glucose the brain cells cannot function because they are missing their primary fuel to run and if carbohydrates are cut completely then so is the glucose.

SIMPLY PUT: Glucose comes from the carbs, enters the bloodstream through the intestinal tract, and goes to the brain from there due to cirrculation. No carbs, no glucose. No glucose, your brains cells are out of fuel.

Not to say that cutting carbs in decent amounts will harm you because it more than likely will not, but if you cut too much then damage can be done. Don't cut too many carbs!

Pick up any Biology I textbook and read about carbohydrates, glucose, ATP, and the metabolism of the brain. I attend Mr. Bob Reeder's freshman class at MSCC (Motlow State) so if you need proof other than a text book, he could provide it for anyone.

Then again... I am just a student...

Again, I repeat... it depends on how much you cut from your diet. I AM NOT saying that you guys are doing something dangerous that should be banned and such. I AM saying this: Be reasonable about how much carbohydrates you cut from your diet because too much could hurt you and cutting ~TOO MUCH~ for a long amount of time will literally starve you.

Last edited by doreen T : Sun, Jul-03-05 at 10:38. Reason: Please do not post someone else's email address without their permission. This is a violation of the forum rules as well as the other person's privacy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 10:40
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Your body can and DOES run on ketones, and can even create the glucose it needs through a process called gluconeogenesis. You might want to look that up, since as a student, you'd want to have all the information you can get from more than one source.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 11:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

SIMPLY PUT: You've completely ignored gluconeogenesis.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 11:17

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

gee, it's a wonder the human race made it this far without carbohydrates... seeing as sources of carbohydrates were scarce during our first few million years of existance...

isnt it a fact that carbohydrates are the one macornutrient we dont actually need to survive? cut out the protein or fat, and your body will suffer. Cut out the carbs, your body makes everything it needs from the fat and protein.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 12:36
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 158/158/120 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress:

I've heard before that Atkins is very hard on the heart. I looked it up on internet and stumbled upon this. I don't want to discourage anyone, but tho't they might well be interested in seeing this.

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/atkins...Atkins_Diet.htm

The Schwarzbein Principle is just sounding more and more sound physiologically the more I research it. You, too may want to check it out. ?

www.schwarzbein.com

Good luck to all,
Mindy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 12:51
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy66

More pcrm anti-meat eating propaganda.

BTW, the original article was posted at WebMD by Dean Ornish .. http://my.webmd.com/content/pages/1/3075_903 .. a pcrm member and well-known for his anti-meat, anti-Atkins views. He has a financial bias in that he has also published several diet books.

FWIW, the original WebMD article doesn't mention Atkins at all, it says simply "a popular high-protein diet". The Atkins diet is not a high-protein diet, it's a high-fat, adequate-protein diet.

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 13:04
Forum Founder

BF:

Another interesting tidbit .. the images of "blood flow" in the article come from Richard Fleming M.D. of the Fleming Heart and Health Institute in Nebraska.

Folks might wish to check out Anthony Colpo's views on Ornish and Fleming at the Omnivore.com .. The Dietary Delusions of Dean Ornish: Why Ornish's writings are far closer to science fiction than science.
Quote:
In the PBS interview, Ornish claimed that research has shown diets like Atkins to worsen blood flow to the heart. His source for this frightening allegation? None other than Nebraska's Dr. Richard Fleming, the same Dr. Richard Fleming who came under attack earlier this year after he obtained the late Dr. Atkins' confidential death report under dubious circumstances and then passed it onto to his publicity-hungry associates at the PCRM........

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 14:25

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Boots seem happy enough to sell Atkins and their own brand low carb products???

Jo
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 15:03
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
Boots seem happy enough to sell Atkins and their own brand low carb products???

Jo

hi Jo,

Those posts about Boots are over 3 years old.

Doreen

[ edited to add: I've split the current discussion from the 3 yr old posts for clarity ]
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 15:44

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy66
I've heard before that Atkins is very hard on the heart. I looked it up on internet and stumbled upon this. I don't want to discourage anyone, but tho't they might well be interested in seeing this.

http://www.atkinsexposed.org/atkins...Atkins_Diet.htm

The Schwarzbein Principle is just sounding more and more sound physiologically the more I research it. You, too may want to check it out. ?

www.schwarzbein.com

Good luck to all,
Mindy

No matter what the subject, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find something both positive and negative on the net. BUT you have to evaluate the info. Research the researchers.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 19:21
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%

At my pharmacy(the one in the grocery store and the reg. pharmacy) you have to get them from the pharmacist. Not sure why..they give them to you w/out question. I didn't get to read all the threads , but why do you suppose you have to ask for them? Brain damage is a an new one for me. I would of fell over if a supposidly educated dr. type person told me that!
Jul
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 19:46
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by juelz4u
I would of fell over if a supposidly educated dr. type person told me that!
Jul

Yeah, and they would have assumed you fell over due to brain damage from your low carb diet!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 20:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

How can a diet that encourages healthy eating cause brain damage? The same way a black cat causes bad luck or if you step on a crack you break your mother's back. If you have to question that, then you haven't done the research.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 20:25
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, and they would have assumed you fell over due to brain damage from your low carb diet!

Yes, and my little town local paper would of had a hay day! "Local woman colapses from brain damage during the Atkin's Diet..."
Believe me if I didn't have brain damage from eating McDonalds crap for the last 10 years, I think I'll survive!! hee hee
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-05, 20:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, on and off
Stats: 190/175/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:12-13% (?)
Progress: 60%

"Stupid is as stupid doess Forrest!"

That is assinine. In fact, it is my understanding that the vegetarians are the ones who need to watch out for issues like taht do to possible (notice I did say possible) B12 and protein deficiencies.

If the keto sticks are not prescription then you have every right to buy them. If the incident really, really traumatized you, by all means, get an attorney so you can be compensated for your pain and suffering .

Jon