Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-02, 21:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%

I saw that you mentioned that you loved gummy Worms. Have you seen this Post? http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=39361 It is a recipe on how to make sugar free gummy worms. I haven't tried it yet but I am sure they are good.

Candice
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-02, 19:01

Plan: my own
Stats: 140/137/125
BF:don't know
Progress: 20%
Default neanderthin? nightshades?

what is neanderthin & what are nightshades?

thanks.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 07:58
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/-
BF:
Progress: 23%

Spiderbaby,

<i>Neanderthin</i> refers to a book (http://www.lowcarb.ca/books.html) / way of eating. You might want to check out the Paleolithic/Neanderthin forum provided on this site for more information (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...?forumid=107&s=).

<i>Nightshades</i> refer to many popular crop-plants in the Solanaceae Family (hope I spelled that right!) and include foods like potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, green & red peppers, chili peppers (not black pepper), paprika, tobacco products and petunias.

Hope that helps!
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 13:40

Plan: Neanderthin
Stats: 269/176/165 Male 68"
BF:55+%/23%/15%
Progress: 89%
Talking Neanderthin and Nightshades to Spderbaby

I'm on Neanderthin and have now lost 63 pounds and am still going don another fifty, or so. i want to be a lean, mean, mountain climbing machine! I just got back from 34 miles in the High Sierras...something I never thought i would ever do again! Nightshades are not all bad, but I stay away from most, except the peppers and an ocassional tomato. Most people have reactions to most of the nightshade group, even though they don't know it.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-02, 12:43

Stats: 235/215/135
BF:
Progress: 20%

A lot of what I do at the movies has already been posted.
I ususally share a large diet soda (we get the biggest one and share it and get the free refill). I also sneak in some russell stover sf pb cups and nestle's sf turtles. I ration them and eat them very slowly. The sunflower seeds work great because, like it has been said, the shelling slows you down and keeps your hands busy. I like the flavored ones, though they do have a few extra carbs. (I use the sunflower seeds when I am having a hard time staying awake on a long drive too!) Russell Stover also has some other great SF candies . . . just watch your portion control I have found the sf candies at many drug/discount stores-- cheapest at Wal Mart (so far)
The big bottle of water idea sounds great too.
Take your biggest purse and tuck everything inside . . . who is to know (normally I don't advocate breaking the rules, but if they want us to buy their food, they should have food we can eat, right?)
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 10:54

Stats: 200/100/90
BF:18.7%
Progress: 91%
Default CHEEEEESE CHIPS!!!

HEY!!!

i just made this today and i love it
cheese chips!
this is what u need

parchment paper ( like wax paper)
cheese slices
microwave

take the cheese slices and cut them up in about 6 pcs or 8 each

put on 6 or 8 on parchment paper at a time , put in the microwave ( i dont use a plate, just put the paper in the microwave, no mess hehe)
microwave for 1 or 1.5 mins
take out ( should be crunchy and kind of lacy)
let it cool while u do the rest of the cheese
when they get all hard and crunchy put in a paper bag and sneak into the movies with u ehhehehe
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 15:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins!!!
Stats: 151/147/140
BF:
Progress: 36%

Are corn nuts the same as pine nuts?
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 16:42

Unhappy Absolutely NOT!

There is NO similarity to Corn nuts and Pine Nuts, except both are seeds. Pine nuts are actually good for you. Corn Nuts are one of the worst things you could eat and call yourself a low carber...aside from the harmful chemicals, and other bad stuff about corn products. They are definitely a "Forbidden Fruit" on this WOE.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins!!!
Stats: 151/147/140
BF:
Progress: 36%

Thanks for the response, but I already ate some. now I know though, and it won't get me again. Gotta find those pine nuts.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 15:48

Smile Made in China

The pine nuts we get in the stores are grown and imported from China. The ones we have in the Pinion Pines in Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and northern Mexico are much more resin-flavored and have a very piney taste. I actually prefer them, but most people don't. When I was a youngster (back in the early 50s), my entire extended family would take a weekend forage into the woods of Southern California and shake the trees down and gather the nuts by the bushelful. We would all be covered with pine pitch. I can still see my grandpa with his rags covering himself to protect him from the pitch. It would be hot and dry at the time we did this, in the early Fall. Then, we would have a huge roast and gorge ourselves on Pine Nuts. It was an annual family reunion and the memory of it makes me feel good all over...and now I crave some of those "real' pine nuts. My family were mostly second/third generation pioneers who settled in Southern Utah, New Mexico, Arizona and Mexico. These were considered a delicacy to the Indians and the early setlers of this area. Gosh! The memories of a bygone era...life was so much simpler then. I really miss it.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 16:06
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 277/267/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Pepperoni crisps?

I love to zap pepperoni slices and the crisps would give you some crunch at the movies. My problem is that I gobble them up as soon as they are out of the microwave! Good crunch when needed.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-03, 21:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.5/169.0/145 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 61%

Interesting.........our local AMC theater just started selling SF Russell Stover Pecan Delights in the small bag. WOW! Decent price, too, like $2.50. Ck em out at your local theater or go request that they carry them!
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 14:14
Registered Member

Plan: my own
Stats: 188/158/152 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Genisoy Soynuts!!

Calories 120
Total Fat 4g
Total Carbohydrate 9g
Dietary Fiber 5g
Sugars 3g
Protein 12g

Vitamin A 0% Calcium 6%
Vitamin C 0% Iron 6%
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Sep-21-03, 19:07
Contributing Member

Plan: Adkins (somewhat modified)
Stats: 250/182/170
BF:
Progress: 85%

If I'm tempted to go beyond my diet soda or water at the movies, I always keep a pack of orange or green "tic-tacs" in my bag......0 carbs, but gives me the sensation of eating hard candy! Has saved my diet more than once!!!
  #45   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 09:50

Unhappy Watch out for Soy!!

Don't be fooled by soy...not very good for us (soy is poison in its' raw state)...just like most beans and lentils...but, then, I'm talking from a paleo-dieter's standpoint. I don't eat any soy, beans, lentils, potatoes, yams, or grains and dairy of any kind. If forgot, this isn't just a forum for Paleo. Whatever turns your crank, I guess.