Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Jun-14-05, 13:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Whatever you do, don't buy the Spectrum Naturals Organic brand!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 09:28

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

Would taking CO in the evening interfere with sleep????
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 07:56

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Not so far Miss Scruff.

If I'm hungry right before bed I'll have one or two of my coconut candies so that I don't wake up hungry in the middle of the night. I seem to sleep just fine.

I agree that Spectrum Naturals is nasty as a food substance. It does, however, work very well with a few drops of your favorite essential oil as a skin lotion.

I didn't have any nausea, but I have a weird tingling in my sinuses, and I strongly suspect that the coconut oil is attacking the low grade sinus infection I seem to have had for years. I can't wait to see if I can stay healthy this fall.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 09:03

BF:

Thanks Bat Spit! I am going to add it today to my routine. I woke up this morning with a temp of 96...sure hope this stuff helps!
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 07:59
See, I smile :)

Plan: A Version of My Own ;)
Stats: 208/141.5/135 Female 5 ft 7 in
BF:43%/26%/???
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
I finally bought some coconut oil, and I'm kind of disappointed because it tastes pretty awful to me! Although it has a slight hint of coconut, it also has another type of taste that's hard to describe- it's sort of like soap! I bought it at a health food store and it's called Spectrum Naturals Organic Coconut Oil.

This is what I have at home, I haven't detected the "soapy" taste myself. Maybe some people are more sensitive to tastes, or detect more than others. This morning I took a teaspoon and mixed it with a tad of cocoa powder and a tiny bit of sweetener and I got it down fine (it was in a solid form). Maybe it was the cocoa that helped I started just takingit plain because I read it helps with keeping things moving, and I need all the help in that department I need!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 08:16

Wow, after reading all this, maybe I don't know what coconut oil is! I just happened to find the Spectrum brand at Kroger in a small jar and thought I'd give it a try. I will have to say I like it as a face moisturizer. No break-outs.I
I'll give the Tropical Traditions a try. BTW, I see they also sell a coconut "cream"...anyone try that?
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 08:25

For those of you who are looking for more ways to incorporate coconut oil into your diet. I found the following thread:

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/s...03&page=1&pp=30

at low carb friends. It has all sorts of possible recipe ideas.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 08:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabond
This is what I have at home, I haven't detected the "soapy" taste myself. Maybe some people are more sensitive to tastes, or detect more than others. This morning I took a teaspoon and mixed it with a tad of cocoa powder and a tiny bit of sweetener and I got it down fine (it was in a solid form). Maybe it was the cocoa that helped I started just takingit plain because I read it helps with keeping things moving, and I need all the help in that department I need!

I think the Spectrum brand seems to be a love it or hate it type of thing. I've heard from others who can't stand it and also detect a soapy flavor, but other people seem to think it tastes just fine- go figure! Now I'm using a brand I bought from Vitamin World, which tastes fine to me. I didn't want to go out and spend much money ordering something off the internet after my less than favorable results with Spectrum, so i was able to find a 16oz. container at Vitamin World.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 08:37

[QUOTE=lisabond This morning I took a teaspoon and mixed it with a tad of cocoa powder and a tiny bit of sweetener and I got it down fine (it was in a solid form). Maybe it was the cocoa that helped I started just takingit plain because I read it helps with keeping things moving, and I need all the help in that department I need![/QUOTE]

it sounds like you made something like the coconut bark recipe we've been discussing here: (starting at post #6)
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...10&page=1&pp=15

I just finished making a batch of these and have them in a baggy in my freezer. They are REALLY easy to make. You could make up a batch and have some coconut bark chocolate every morning! I think that's a much yummier "regulator" than psyillium husks or Metamucil!!
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 09:07

I saw that thread the other day. I like using cocoa powder because the stuff actually has fiber.

Omg, an excuse to eat chocolate!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 09:53

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisabond
Wow, after reading all this, maybe I don't know what coconut oil is! I just happened to find the Spectrum brand at Kroger in a small jar and thought I'd give it a try. I will have to say I like it as a face moisturizer. No break-outs.I
I'll give the Tropical Traditions a try. BTW, I see they also sell a coconut "cream"...anyone try that?

Yup I put the coconut cream concentrate in my protein shakes in the mornings...tasty!
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 10:04

Plan: Modified
Stats: 276/197/155 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Wow.. i am so happy with this stuff

I went and bought coconut oil last night
Brand"
NOW
certified Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
cold pressed and unrefined $6.25
it smells great
no soapy flavor... actually kind of good

AANND it works i had no veggies yesterday and it moved things along just fine this morning if you know what i mean

i had 2 tbsp yesterday.. i will go for 3 today.. no problems pain gas or anything.. could just "hear" it working last night as i was falling asleep LOL

Bren
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 10:35

BF:

Are ya all taking it for weight loss or health reasons??????? I will be curious to see all the results of taking the stuff listed here! Anyone taking kelp as well???
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 10:40

Plan: Back to CALP 03/23/08
Stats: 280/201.5/180 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 79%

i buy the "omega nutrition" brand of coconut oil at my local health food store and it has no flavour at all and i find it works great for cooking and frying all types of foods and in liquid form i use it in protein shakes.

after reading all the posts on the subject i decided to order "tropical traditions" on the internet (paid in US dollars and a hefty shipping charge to canada) but wanted to give it a try. i found it had a slight coconut taste which i didn't like when cooking eggs etc but found it works just fine in shakes or when making coconut bark. i will not be ordering any more "tropical traditions" not because its bad or anything it's just the cost and slight flavour and the brand i get locally works very well--like in so many things its to each his own

jes
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-26-05, 10:42

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

jesdorka YAY! We're practically neighbors!! You're all I have as far as an LC'er from the Great white north!

I agree, the shipping costs for me was like, $20 USD!! eek!