Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 21:27

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%
Default diabetes and LC

Swedish research...worth reading the full article.

Val

http://www.ltblekinge.se/bls/medici...Improvement.pdf

here is the abstract:

In two groups of obese patients with type 2 diabetes the effects of 2 different diet
compositions were tested with regard to glycaemic control and bodyweight. A
group of 16 obese patients with type 2 diabetes was advised on a low-carbohydrate
diet, 1800 kcal for men and 1600 kcal for women, distributed as 20 % carbohydrates,
30 % protein and 50 % fat. Fifteen obese diabetes patients on a high-carbohydrate
diet were control group. Their diet, 1600–1800 kcal for men and 1400–1600
kcal for women, consisted of approximately 60 % carbohydrates, 15 % protein and
25 % fat.
Positive effects on the glucose levels were seen very soon. After 6 months a
marked reduction in bodyweight of patients in the low-carbohydrate diet group was
observed, and this remained one year later. After 6 months the mean changes in the
low-carbohydrate group and the control group respectively were (±SD): fasting
blood glucose (f-BG): –3.4 ± 2.9 and –0.6 ± 2.9 mmol/l; HBA1c: –1.4 ± 1.1 % and
–0.6 ± 1.4 %; Body Weight: –11.4 ± 4 kg and –1.8 ± 3.8 kg; BMI: –4.1 ± 1.3 kg/m_
and –0.7 ± 1.3 kg/m_. Large changes in blood glucose levels were seen immediately.
Conclusion: A low-carbohydrate diet is an effective tool in the treatment of obese
patients with type 2 diabetes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 21:40

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I wonder what the results would have been if the carbs had been reduced to < 10% instead of 20%. For the men 20% means they were at 90 grams of carbs a day. The women were at 80 grams. That is above the CCL for a lot of people.

I have a feeling that the researchers were trying to avoid ketosis.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 21:49

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Could be. In any case, the LC group was 40% less carbs than the control group and the results were dramatically different.
By just reducing carbs, some people were able to get off medications altogether.

Another consideration is that consuming 60-90 carbs per day may be easier to maintain for a longer study, with fewer dropouts.

And don't forget another factor that is often ignored: the lower carb group had a much higher fat intake which could be just as important. I would like to see another controlled kcal diabetes study one day in which carbs and protein are 25% each, and fat is 50%.

Val
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 05:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Dodger, the results are amazing when that happens as my story would show. I had over 300 in blood sugar readings, weight of 310 lbs. and feeling I was dying. I could barely get out of bed as I had no energy whatsoever. At the time, I wanted to drive to Miami (I was living in Orlando, FL) to see a family member I had not seen in more than 40 years. I tried to drive and had to return as I could not do it. That is when I started to research ways to see if I could control my bs because the diet that my endo had given me I knew I could not do. Researching the Internet I found Atkins. The very first day I did it, the energy I had was unbelievable. I could not go to sleep until about 4 am. This energy lasted 2 more days. Within a week my blood sugar was in the 120 and I eliminated the 50u of Insulin I was taking. Within 2 weeks my bs were totally normal and I eliminated all medications. My doctor kept me on 2, Glucophage and Actos, but I did not take them. As long as I keep my intake of carbs within 20 or 30 gr I am great. The minute I increase I am in hot water. So low carb is unbelievable for a Diabetic Type II. I must also tell you that I went to lose 70 lbs until I reached a stall. That stall cost me to leave my diet and then I gained 30 lbs of the 70 I had lost, and of course increase my blood sugars. I am back on the diet and the bs are coming back down again.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 06:53

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

SadLady,

Your story made my day! That's great, keep up the good work.

Last edited by Dodger : Mon, Jun-06-05 at 15:09. Reason: type
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 10:17

Plan: closest to South Beach
Stats: 255/188/190 Male 73.5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up I Agree With SadLady

I once had a similar situation to SadLady. In August 2004, my annual physical revealed a fasting blood sugar of 318. Exactly one year earlier it was 95 and I actually weighed 10 pounds more at that time! That's how fast blood sugar problems can begin if you're genetically prone to them.

I immediately switched to low carb, consuming about 30 per day average. I cut down my portion sizes a little and began walking 3.5 miles almost every day at a brisk pace. Within 30 days my blood sugar was under 100 after 5 hours fast and responded within ADA limits for non-diabetic 1 and 2 hours after meals. By January of this year I had lost 70 pounds and achieved my goal weight of 190. (Was 187 this morning for some reason). My fasting blood sugar is now in the high 70's after 5 hours' fast. My HBa1C was 4.8 at the time of my last blood check 3 months ago. I have been able to increae my carbs to around 80 per day and still maintain my weight and blood glucose levels. I literally have more problems trying not to loose any more weight than I do in gaining it back.

So ABSOLUTELY - low carb and weight loss is the key to curing blood glucose problems. The only catch is that you must control carbs for the rest of your life. That has become second nature to me and just isn't an issue.

Hang in there SadLady and you'll be fine! Good luck to all.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 10:21
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Wow Sadlady, your results were fast! It took me 10weeks to go from 160 to 120! But it was low carbing that helped me do that.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 07:45

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Sadlady, your call name should be EstaticLady!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 08:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/259/180 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 39%

jejeje, I used SadLady because I keep messing up what I do and then I get sad about it. I wished I would not get depressed like that. Any way, I am doing OK again, although my BS are not yet as low as I want them to be.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-10-05, 08:38

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Aw, you should change it because you've accomplished so much. How about a compromise? How about LessSadLady? Or GladderLady? We all mess up. You will mess up. But, we and You cannot quit. Can't sit on the ole laurels, either. Maybe if you change the moniker it'll be self-fulfilling prophecy? Hang in there. You've come to the right place, for sure!