Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Salads Veggies & Side Dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-05, 03:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/190/165 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Southern Fried Okra

When I start craving some fried okra (A staple in the house I grew up in), here's what I do: I put some canola or olive oil in a frying pan, thaw out a bag of frozen okra *not the breaded kind, just plain, and fry it up. It takes a while to get crispy but it is still delicious with out all that fattening flour on it. Fast and easy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-02-05, 23:02

Plan: My Plan!
Stats: 241/189/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 54%

I love fried okra! (I'm originally from the south.) I just bought a bag of frozen okra, and was wondering how I could possibly make fried okra without rolling it in cornmeal first... good grief, what would my grandma think of me!!

Since I'm not on Atkins, I might try a light dusting of oat flour. I expect someone will come along and suggest rolling the okra in crushed pork rinds!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-05, 15:02
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have never prepared okra - could I use fresh the same way? Should I cut it in pieces first? I know that sounds silly but my grandma makes pickled okra and it is always whole. (and YUMMY! )
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-05, 06:23

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 286/207/115 Female 5' 0"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowagirl
I have never prepared okra - could I use fresh the same way? Should I cut it in pieces first?

Yes, of course, fresh is best but frozen is good too. Yes, slice off the top and tip and then slice the pod (I usually slice into about 1/2" slices). My Mom used to "trim" the top/cap and use it as well... I'm too lazy to go to the trouble... I just slice it off and toss it.

I LOVE okra... fried... and even boiled. I saw a show, not long ago, that suggested grilling okra whole, on skewers. I haven't tried it yet because it would require fresh okra but it sounds wonderful. They suggested that grilling the okra whole was good because it prevented the "slimy" texture that most people dislike. Not a problem for me because I love it boiled too... but... I bet it would be really good grilled.

Phyllis
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-05, 08:56

Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%

Has anyone dusted either Carbquik, Carbalose, or canned parmesan cheese on the okra before frying?