Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 01:29
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

For phases 2 & 3 follow the guidelines below.

Foods you can reintroduce
to your diet after Phase 1

BEEF
All hot dogs (beef, pork, poultry, soy) can be enjoyed occasionally (once/week) if they are at least 97% fat free (contain 3-6 grams of fat/serving).

FRUIT (Start with one daily serving, gradually increase to 3 total servings daily)
Apples - 1 small or 5 dried rings
Apricots - 4 fresh or 7 dried
Banana, medium-sized (4 oz.)
Berries, all - 3/4 cup
Cactus Pear Fruit (Prickly Pear)
Cantaloupe - 1/4, or 1 cup diced
Cherries - 12
Grapefruit - 1/2
Grapes - 15
Kiwi - 1
Mangoes - 1/2 medium (4 oz.)
Oranges - 1 medium
Papaya - 1 small (4 oz.)
Peaches - 1 medium
Pears - 1 medium
Plantain
Plums - 2
Prunes - 4

MILK/DAIRY
(2-3 cups allowed daily, including yogurt)

Yogurt
artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt (limit to 4 ounces daily and avoid varieties that contain high fructose corn syrup)

STARCHES (Start with one daily serving, gradually increase to 3 total servings daily.) Unless otherwise stated, choose whole grain products that have 3 grams of fiber or more per ounce.
Bagels, small, whole grain - 1/2, or 1 oz.
Barley - 1/2 cup
Bread
homemade breads using whole grains (buckwheat, whole wheat, spelt, whole oats, bran, rye)
multigrain
oat and bran
rye
sourdough (may be used, but whole grain is the best choice)
sprouted grain
whole wheat

Buckwheat
Cereal—Choose whole grain and slow-cooking varieties (no instant types) with 6-8 grams of fiber or more per serving
Hot - 1/3-1/2 cup, uncooked
Cold - 30 grams/1 ounce/3/4 cup

Couscous, whole-wheat or Israeli - 1/2 cup cooked
Crackers, whole grain with 3 grams of fiber or more per ounce and no trans fats
English muffins, whole grain - 1/2, or 1 oz.
(most contain 2.5 grams of fiber per half a muffin—varieties varieties with 3 grams of fiber are the best choice.)
Muffins, bran - 1 small, homemade
sugar-free (no raisins)
Pasta
Whole wheat is best choice - 1/2 cup cooked (3 grams of fiber or more per 1/2 cup)
Soy is second best choice - 1/2 cup cooked (3 grams of fiber or more per 1/2 cup)

Pita - 1/2, or 1 oz.
stone-ground
whole wheat
(most contain 2.5 grams of fiber—varieties with 3 grams of fiber are the best choice.)

Popcorn, 3 cups popped
Air popped
Microwave, plain, no trans fats
Cooked stove-top with canola oil

Quinoa, 1/2 cup cooked
Rice - 1/2 cup cooked
basmati
brown
converted or parboiled
wild

Rice noodles
Soba noodles
Tortillas, 100% whole grain, 3 grams of fiber or more per ounce, no trans fats

VEGETABLES (the following are considered starchy vegetatles; count as a starch/grain serving)
Calabaza
Cassava
Carrots
Green Peas - 1/2 cup
Potato, sweet, small
Pumpkin
Taro
Winter squash
Yams, small

OCCASIONAL TREATS
Chocolate (sparingly)
bittersweet
semisweet

SWEET TREATS
Pudding, fat-free and sugar-free (1 serving per day)

BEVERAGES
Wine (1–2 glasses daily with or after meals)
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 01:35
From Flab to Fab!

Ok, so I KNOW it's water weight
.....but drum roll please......

I weighed in at 248.5 this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's a massive loss of 3lb in just ONE DAY!!!
Woooo hooooo!!!!!

I now intend on waiting till Saturday morning to weigh in again because I know how disheartening scale fluctuations are....but I am SO pleased that some of my weight-hike has come off....I only need to lose another 1.5lb before I'm back to where I was before my 3 week blowout!!

Edited to read: Incidentally, if anyones interested I had a total of 40 net carbs (it was 47 before fibre) and 1662 cals
  #33   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 01:46
From Flab to Fab!

I agree about a challenge, why not have it held in here, then we can have all the messages about everything under the same roof so to speak. I don't mind if someone else would like to manage it, but why don't we weigh in once a week (no need to share the weight if you don't want to) and then see how we do week by week?

I can start us off with my start weight, just make sure that you copy and paste the very last weight list you see so that it remains accurate!

Ok here we go...mondays stats...

Date: .............23.05.........31.05..........06.06...........13.06

Foxgluvs..........251.5..........
  #34   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 03:32

Plan: My own combo
Stats: 147/135/132 Female 1.72cm (5'8'')
BF:no clue
Progress: 80%

Hey!!! Great to see that so many babes have joined!!!

I have decided to start with Phase I next week Monday. First I need a couple of days to eat the fattening stuff I still have left in the fridge, then from Friday till Sunday I'll do a small *transition* phase (say phase 3) and from Monday (and for 2 weeks) I'll do strict phase 1.

I have to admitt I'm a bit nervous about doing SB. The reason is that the only times I've been able to stick to a *diet* have been doing Atkins (I had mini, mini cheats every once in a while) and the times I did the 10 day Ahorn sirop + lemon juice cleansing (you eat nothing but drink this stuff for 10 days). I didn't do it to loose weight but I was for 5 years ill and they didn't know what it was and the only thing that made me feel better was doing this cleansing. Anyway...the point here is that the *stricter* the *diet* is, the easier it is for me to follow. SB is so much a WOE that it's not *strict* and *structured* enough to make me feel really convinced I can follow it to the letter and loose weight....know what I mean??????? Anyway....I PROMISE I won't nag about this anymore since I'm totally convinced this is the WOE for me.....I just wanted to get if of my chest

Thanks for listening
  #35   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 03:39

Plan: Atkins (+m&e)
Stats: 320/310/190 Female 5ft  11"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Wonderful idea Foxgluvs :)

Firstly a big congrats to you on that 3 lbs!!!! So pleasedfor you!!Welldone!Okay here's my stats;I guess we need to all add our names in alphabetical order .

Dreamy1..........289

#36   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 03:46
From Flab to Fab!

Hiya Carmen.

I understand completely what you are saying. I looked into changing over from Atkins to South Beach a few months ago. But I was frightened of the same things as you....what if I introduced things back into my diet and couldn't control where it stopped? Would it trigger cravings? Would I end up over eating because there were no limits on things?
But the fact is, under Atkins strict regimen, I have stalled out pretty much over the past 7 or 8 months, so I figured that maybe it was worth trying something new, just to give my metabolism a kick in the right direction. If I find myself getting out of control, i'll simply step back off of south beach and back onto atkins. I don't think it will damage me to try something new, it might just help to get my weight moving again.

So perhaps it is worth a go for you too. Like you said in your last paragraph, you are convinced this is the WOE for you, so go for it.....the worst thing that can happen is you revert back in a few months....so you have nothing to lose by giving it a shot!

xx
  #37   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 03:49
From Flab to Fab!

Dreamy, thank you I am pleased with the loss.....like I said before I know it's only water at this stage, but water was still making me heavier, so what the hey - it's all lb's right?!

I was just wondering why you are changing over from Atkins to SB? Just curious to hear your story.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 03:53
From Flab to Fab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzue
The guacomole and celery and hummus sound amazing!!! What a novel idea. I didn't think yogurt was allowed until phase two???

Hi Katzue, I noticed Judy already answered you, but I wanted to add that the guacomole/hummus and celery is really divine. You can eat a lot of celery....it's SO stupidly low in carbs and my portions of the dips went a heck of a long way. I ended up sharing some of it with my little girls.
I had it again this morning and it is soooooooo yummy!!
  #39   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 04:20

Plan: Atkins (+m&e)
Stats: 320/310/190 Female 5ft  11"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default FoxGluvs:

Hi there! I changed over to SB because I felt I wasn't getting where I wanted to go like I should be.......kept stopping and starting because I found it too restrictive.I can only last about 2 days without my milk allowance and I also love heaps of vegies!!It just seems so much easier to stick to for me.I have to stick to this so someone give me a kick if I need it!!Seriously I am going to give it all I have as I really have to wack the weight off for my poor old joints.I want to be a stone lighter by the end of the 1st week of June.I should be able to get there if I stick to it. Well I better be off now so talk again soon.Takecare, Pamela
  #40   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 04:40

Plan: My own combo
Stats: 147/135/132 Female 1.72cm (5'8'')
BF:no clue

Foxgluvs....it's great to hear that I'm not the only one who's afraid of the *freedom* you have on SB!!!

Also, I hadn't really thought that I can always go back to Atkins if SB doesn't really work for me

I also hope that SB can help me regain some energy cuz for the last month I have NO energy AT ALL!!!!!!!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 05:48

Plan: trying to figure it out
Stats: 214/201.4/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 23%

Hey everyone!
Let me jump on in. too. I had been on the Beach for quite a while and then somehow just quit when we moved. I started fiddling with other low carb plans for a while and even 1 low fat high crab plan. Gained what I lost back and then some more. I am on day 2 in my second week of Phase 1 and I have lost 5 lbs since then. I am very pleased and find it a lot easier this time to stick with it. My biggest challenge is the Alcohol. I am quite the Beer lover. I have been however able to steer clear of the Booze since I started. I did have a little Non approved moment the othe night (we had Olive Gardens for dinner and I had Whole Wheat Pasta with a creamy White wine Sauce and Grilled Chickenbreast) but luckily I only gained 0.5lbs back after this. I plan on not going out to eat too much while on this WOE. The only reason why went went out was because DH had gotten this Gift Certificate for his Bday. SO, here to say that whatever challenge you gals come up with count me in. When I told DH what I have lost so far in these past days he was really proud and said just stick with it you see it is working. He was a little sceptic, because he had lost a good amount on Atkins and said how could you lose weight if you eat That (Specially Beans he was targeting). Well I guess I proved him wrong. I plan is to be finally weighing in less than my Hubby. He alwayd used to be much lighter than me and to be honest I am getting sick and tired of beeing the heavier one of us 2.
So here I am ready to give and take advice.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 06:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/189/175 Female 5'10"
BF:
Default Me too !

Count me in, too! I've been on Atkins since 10/4/04 and have lost 42 lbs. I've been fighting with the same few pounds, up, down, up down.... I need a change from Atkins. Plus I need to get below 200 ! Thanks for starting this thread.

Dreamy1..........289

Spinalcord........202.4..........
  #43   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 06:51

Plan: SBD
Stats: 159/147.6/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%
Talking

Yay Foxgluvs & Miesimau on your recent drop in LBs!
Good Job!!!

Thanks Foxgluvs for your lists-- they are a little more comprehensive than what I've been seeing, even in the good Dr's book.

I have to tell y'all that I bought the new South Beach cookbook(orange cover) this weekend and it's great!! Lots of ideas/recipes.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 07:19

Plan: Bariatric Surgery/S.Beach
Stats: 280/143/145 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:way/2/much
Progress: 101%

Just wanted to say HI to you all. Sounds like you have a great group of gals here. I'll stop by and see how you all are doing.You all seem to be off to a great start.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 07:46
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Great Job to all the losers!! I'm very happy for you and do so want to see you all have success with the WOE that I do so love!!

Thanks foxgluvs, for posting the food lists. These are updated from what is in the book and can be found at mizfrogspad.com, a link is in the first thread in this forum.

My very best to all of you!!
Closed Thread