Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 23:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%
Default 9 month old weighs 25 lbs

My son is so huge! He is only 9 mo and weighs 25 lbs. He is in 2T and 24 mo size clothes. He still drinks some formula, but he pretty much is on table food, we feed him everything but i do try to watch his sugar. He loves teddy grahams and cheerios for snacks. I feed him half of a banana a day and then whatever we are eating for lunch and dinner, plus sides of carbs and vegetables (ie. chicken with green beans and some potatoes) and a dessert of applesauce or something like that.
He doesn't have a single tooth, so his snacks have to be "gummable", lol.
Here's the prob, I'm worried that he will stay overweight as he gets older. Can anyone recommend some good snacks to try with him?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 23:48

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 247/149/120 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

You do have a big beautiful baby Maybe you could give him mango, mandarin oranges. This question has me stumped. If I think of more things I'll definately post them.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 04:35
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Yikes, he is a big boy. My 10month old is 17lbs. I don't feed him things like cheerios, etc..... an occasional teething biscuit (maybe 1/2 a day), but otherwise whatever I eat, he eats. Meaning pureéd meats, hard-cooked eggs, cooked veggies, a bit of mashed fruit. He does get some higher GI carbs with meals...like rice cereal with yogurt, or potatoes, or noodles. You'd do him a big favor to stop feeding him processed carbs like the Teddy Grahams, and also eliminate juice. Definitely don't just take my or anyone else's word for it......discuss it with your pediatrician. good Luck! BTW, Ethan is absolutely adorable, but I guess you know that,
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 04:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

I'd cut out the crap!! Chearios etc, they're just sugar coated, chemical filled cereal! Stick with natural unprocessed foood thats not too sweet, train his palate while he's still young

Jo
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 20:23
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I read this and your other thread and I'm wondering why you are posting these questions here instead of consulting your pediatrician. When my kids were babies, the pediatrician gave me a schedule of when it was safe to introduce different foods and advice on how to do it. You mentioned in your other post that you are feeding your baby orange juice. Does your pediatrician think that is okay? I know that advice changes over the years, but I was told absolutely no orange juice in the first year because it is a common allergen.

When my kids were nine months old their diets were primarily breast milk, supplemented by basic solid foods (no sugar-sweetened junk). They were still nursing anywhere from five to eight or nine times a day. It's my understanding (and I'm not an expert, so your pediatrician may disagree with me) that milk (if not breast milk, then formula) should provide most of a baby's nutrition for the first year, with gradual supplementation with solid foods during the second half of the first year.

If solid foods are providing the major part of your baby's nutrition, I think you should talk to your pediatrician about what those foods should be in order to ensure that your baby gets adequate nutrition, rather than rely on the advice of members of this board. If it were my baby, rather than focusing on his weight I'd focus on making sure that his nutrition was balanced and assume that if he was eating a good diet the weight will take care of itself. Some kids are going to be bigger and some kids are going to be smaller. What you want is for your baby to be the size that is right and healthy for him.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 20:54

Liz, thanks for the advice.
Actually I'm not giving him oj, it's tropicana apple juice that i meant.
He's still on formula (couldn't breastfeed, though I tried) but he has really decreased the amount he takes at a time ( ie. from 6 oz to 4oz) and he demands solid food. My pediatrician cleared him to start solids (baby food) at a little past 3 months because of the large volume of formula he was taking in a day, she said he needed some solids. Well, we quickly progressed through the baby food (one a week, to test for allergies) and he just kept eating. The Dr. says to feed him food that is not seasoned (salt, pepper, etc) and to keep it a balanced diet. Well, I feed him whatever we are eating, I just set some aside and don't season it and then I cut it up, especially the meat since he doesn't have any teeth yet. I am so amazed at this kid, he can eat anything, teeth or no teeth! An example of his diet from today:
breakfast-formula and some baby yogurt with fruit and cereal
lunch-100% juice apple juice, beef brisket, cooked very tender and cut up small, green beans, mashed potatoes, carrots and rolls torn in to little pieces. (grandma cooks a big sunday lunch)
Naptime-formula.
Snack-and handfull of baby goldfish cracker and cheerios (that he shared with the dogs, lol.
Dinner- he had a plate of the same stuff with the rest of the juice he had left from lunch Bedtime-formula

Our meals do vary, but he gets a very balanced diet, according the the 'experts'
I have just re-evaluated my way of looking at the food pyramid and such since going low carb and I don't think ethan should eat low carb or anything, just a balanced diet.
The reason I got fat was we didn't eat a lot of vegetables growing up and I can't stand any now as a result. So I want him to eat differently, in a healthy way. To eat my green beans today, I had to cut them up small and swallow them like pills. I know that's extreme, but vegetables make me gag. I keep trying vegetables, hoping that i can get used to them, and I'll continue to try to eat them and will definately cook them for baby. I typical meal for me before going low carb was meat & rice and gravy or meat & mashed potatoes with mac n cheese, and all meals had bread and dessert. I ate candy and chips and crap like that all day long.
Anyway, I could go on and on, but the moral of the story is I need suggestions on what to introduce baby to as healthy snacks that he will really like and that will help to teach him to eat in a healthy way.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 21:12
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:

My babies used to like eating un-cooked, still-frozen vegetables, everything from peas and carrots to lima beans.

Maybe cut out the juice, and processed crackers/cookies/cereals.

I imagine that once he starts walking he'll be burning a lot more calories! Have you asked your pediatrician if he's overweight for his height?

Liz
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 21:17
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

He's a big boy, but I wouldn't stress too much. Once he's mobile, that might change more than you think!

Now would be the time to introduce a lot of the veggies you want him to have, since he's not at that "opinionated" stage yet. I found out the hard way that waiting until age 2 or 3 was asking for trouble.

Otherwise, just follow your Dr's advice, and he'll be fine. I'm sure things have changed some since mine were babies (mine are 14 and 19) but I do know that nothing's set in stone. I know kids who were as big as your son, who look no different than their peers, size-wise now, and I know people who were tiny as babies who tip the scales now! My ex-husband was over 9 lbs at birth (doubling that at 5 months), but as an adult, was stuck under 130 lbs and 5'6"...much to his chagrin.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 21:28

He's in the 95 percentile for weight and the 75 percentile for height for his age. She wasn't concerned about his weight. It's all me, I'm worried since me and hubby are both big (he's a very largely built man that weights ~270. The more active he gets, he "stretches out". I know he will lose a bit as he walks, and he's trying to start walking as we speak.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 21:47
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:

Just took a peek at Ethan in your gallery, and he looks perfect to me!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 08:45
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?

I just looked in your gallery and he is a cute baby!

If you are giving him Tropicana apple juice, you can try serving him half juice and half water. My kids drank juice mixed with water until they were four or five years old. Apple juice is basically empty calories, but this allows them a little without giving them excessive numbers of empty calories.

In my opinion, Cheerios are a reasonably healthy snack. They have some whole grain in them and almost no sugar -- 1 gram per serving (and that is an adult size serving). As long as you buy the plain Cheerios (not Honey Nut or anything like that) they are not sugar coated.

You may find that in a couple of months he just stops eating. At my son's first Thanksgiving he was 10 months old and I remember that he ate everything. At his second Thanksgiving, a year later, he ate almost nothing -- a few bites of turkey and that was it. Once kids' growth slows down (which is does after the first year) and they get active, they often lose interest in eating.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 10:34

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 176/148/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

I am not real sure about the whole formula thing...like how much nutrition babies need supplemented when formula fed, etc. Both my babes were breastfed (still nursing 17 month old), so I guess I took the easy way out and just depended on my own milk for most of their nutrition for the first year.

But with that said, I know a lot of babes who are VERY interested in solids at 6-12 months.

My nephew was 25 lbs at 6 months (strictly breastfed) and stayed at that for 6 months, he just sprouted up. At 20 months he may be 28 pounds or so. I ditto the comments about once your baby starts walking that he may slim down a bit. A lot of babies really pork up to have extra chub to burn before they start crawling and walking. I could always tell when my boys and when my friends' kids were getting ready to start crawling or walking because they would get sooooo chunky

Things I fed my kids between 9 months and 15 months were...blueberries, cheerios and other dry whole grain cereals that were easy to gum, small cubes of cheese, 1/2 slice of Ezekial bread (maybe toasted), grapes quartered or eighted (always ate with me watching), gum on a hunk of soft peach, pear, banana (again with me watching, usually peeled), yo baby whole fat yogurt, cooked whole wheat noodles, small pieces of roast or cooked chicken, oatmeal or other whole grain cereal, organic real fruit whole grain cereal bars (very sticky, messy, always ate while confined to high chair ), mandarin oranges, applesauce with no added sugar, some homemade baby food, soft cooked green beans, kidney beans, black beans, northeen beans, peas, cauliflower, brocolli, potatoes, and carrots when cooked in soup or casserole, and some juice, quite diluted, or soy milk. HTH

Personally, I know peds mean well, but they are trained in a different mindset than what I hold, so I don't often find their advice useful. Just a suggestion to always double check a peds advice with your own research
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 08:15

Plan: Primal/Paleo
Stats: 255/241/145 Female 5 feet 9 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Well, don't worry! I agree with what Lizwhip said. Once your little guy starts getting more mobile, i.e. walking, he will thin out. Babies are supposed to be chubby...they have so much growing to do . My son Jakob was 30 lbs on his 1st birthday...and guess what he is 2 1/2 now and weights about 33 lbs. That's not unusual for kids to get to certain weight and then just grow upwards and thin out for a year or more!

I would cut out the Teddy Grahams, and just give him Cheerios as a once in a while treat. It may not have lots of sugar added, but it's a highly processed carb. Also, juice isn't a good everyday thing either. Give him fruit instead. Around here, juice has always been a treat kind of thing (or an emergency thing if our son gets constipated..apple juice can help with that). On the occassions we give him juice, we do dilute it 1/2 water 1/2 juice, sometimes a little more water than that even.

My son was mainly into mommy's milk until about 9-10 months old, but he got pretty chubby on just mommy's milk. Some of the foods he loved when we started adding other foods: avocado, banana, whole plain yogurt (I recommend not feeding flavored yogurt...even now at 2 1/2 he still will eat plain yogurt without any added fruit or flavor). Umm, frozen peas and blueberries he loved and still loves. You can cook carrots or sweet potatoes and then puree them, add a little formula or water to make it a good consistancy. When you are ready to introduce greens you can cook them and puree them in with the sweet potato, etc. You can check with your ped, or even online for the guidelines on when to introduce what foods to your child.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 10:05

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

My neice is only 5 1/2 months old and she's about 18 lbs - my brother and his gf consulted the doc about this and they said not to worry - when she get mobile (i.e. starts crawling / walking) she'll burm most of it off!

I would have to agree though about giving him more natural treats than processed treats like cheerios or teddy grahams. God knows I love both but I'm better off with a strawberry here and there.

take care!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-02-05, 21:23

Plan: protien power/Low carb
Stats: 234/234/158 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi, I have a big baby too. My dd was 20lbs at her 6 month check up. I really only feed her formula, veggies (just started mashing the regular veggies, she was only doing jars for awile), I also give her the small pastine stars. And, I just mix them up w/ her veggie. My pedie said everything was ok and when she starts moving about she will slim out abit.

I really would watch the juice, that's the only thing I know that can really put some weight on. Or dillute it half/half.
Good luck