Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 17:53

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224.5/155/135 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

Here is some excellent information on training in your heart rate zone:

Sally Edwards
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-14-05, 21:28

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I have the same situation. I posted an "Unexpected Validation" thread on the TDC about it.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 21:10

Plan: meat and meat by-products
Stats: 270/191/150 Male 5' 11"
BF:

My guide to exercise (and everything else, for that matter) is to put myself in the position of one of our prehistoric ancestors, because we have not evolved significantly from them. Given that, their physical activity would have consisted mainly of hunting and gathering food. Hunting would have entailed short spurts of intense running and throwing items to kill prey. Gathering would involve walking, bending, and kneeling. There would have been no logical reason to engage in repetitious, purposeless movement, nor to expend continuous energy past the point of tiredness, muscle burn, or breathlessness. The body gives signals when it is tired, and to ignore those signals I believe is harmful.

I know that the "experts" have defined the meaning of being in shape or being conditioned, and believe people who exhibit these characteristics to be healthy, but I do not believe that to be the case. When the body is stressed past the point where it tells you to stop, cortisol is released, which, first of all, makes it difficult to lose weight--cortisol acts to retain fat in the body. Also cortisol will do damage when repeatedly released over a period of time. I have seen the results in athletic people I know. My own brother at 42 ended up needing a quadruple bypass, with one coronary artery completely occluded. He was fit, ate low fat with very little meat (not good IMO, and a contributing factor, but not the sole cause), but ate salmon every week. He worked out every morning. My other brother, 45, is a fat slob, and does not exercise. I know that doesn't mean that he won't need a bypass, but just consider who needed it first, and the extent of the damage.

At 48, I had lost weight doing low carb for 8 months doing no activity. I stalled and realized that I would need to move a little to continue to lose. I began walking for 30 minutes a day, and the weight began to fall off. I also ride my bike, but not as a cardio activity--never to the point where it hurts--if necessary I shift to a lower gear and/or decrease my speed to the point where there is no pain. The truth is that the gain (or loss, in the case of weight) comes without the pain. So keep up the walking or light activity--it will work.

I know I sound like a kook and my views are not popular--kind of like Dr. Atkins. I believe that someday I'll be proven correct.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 16:18

Plan: In Transition
Stats: 256/180/140 Female 66"
BF:

TwilightZ, you could be just as well right as wrong. I'm in need of a hip replacement but have to work hard to strengthen my SI joint to aid the Prolotherapy I've had to tighten the ligaments and tendons. I have one doc who tells me I'm working too hard and that "less is more". I have another one who tells me to do all I possibly can, only more will help. As for the weight loss, well,.....that's in limbo right now. It doesn't want to respond to either less or more.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 07:54
Registered Member

Plan: South Beachish
Stats: 235/223/180 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 22%

Just so you all feel better, I'm in the same boat. No movement on the scale for weeks and I've been doing .5 miles jogging and 1.5 miles walking 4x/wk. It's SOOO frustrating to not see the scale budge!!! I'm going to incorporate weight lifting to see if I can build a little fat burning muscle.

Also, I read on a body building website that you should take Vitamin C before and after your workout/cardio to inhibit the Cortisol release.... just a tidbit of info, if you're interested, google it.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 14:10

Plan: lowcarb hybrid
Stats: 185/150/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I think it's also possible that our cavemen ancestors ran or swam until they were tired just because it feels good! And they might have done quite a bit of lifting and lugging each day as well, especially in those days before the wheel.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 20:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathos5
I think it's also possible that our cavemen ancestors ran or swam until they were tired just because it feels good! And they might have done quite a bit of lifting and lugging each day as well, especially in those days before the wheel.

The first statement doesn't make sense. When food is not waiting in the fridge or easily available at the supermarket, one would hardly expend extra energy for no reason. The "feeling good" is the euphoric feeling accompanied by the release of cortisol. When under extreme stress the body believes it is in danger and the purpose of that feeling is to lessen the suffering resulting from physical injury or death.

And what would they have been lifting and lugging? Okay, I'll grant you the animal they hunted...and what else? What would women have been lifting and lugging?
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 16:53

Plan: lowcarb hybrid
Stats: 185/150/144 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

The women would have been lifting and lugging babies and children, for starters. And wood for fire, and water, and branches and whatever else they used to make shelter. Also, from what I've read, a lot of cavemen migrated during the changing seasons, carrying shelter, water, provisions and, as necessary, each other. There may also have been climbing involved, to gather fruit, see in the distance, or to escape predators. I think of our ancestors as being constantly active, always on the move.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, May-28-05, 22:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathos5
The women would have been lifting and lugging babies and children, for starters. And wood for fire, and water, and branches and whatever else they used to make shelter. Also, from what I've read, a lot of cavemen migrated during the changing seasons, carrying shelter, water, provisions and, as necessary, each other. There may also have been climbing involved, to gather fruit, see in the distance, or to escape predators. I think of our ancestors as being constantly active, always on the move.

Fair enough. Still nothing they would have done resembles running or other cardio activities carried out beyond the point of pain.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 13:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 150/150/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I understand everyone's concern about not seeing the scale move - it hurts emotionally when we see those numbers stall, but everyone please keep in mind - I am sure if you take measurements, you are losing inches, and the scale could even go up...we know that muscle weighs more than fat. I would rather have an extra pound or two with a leaner body and fit comfortably in my jeans from years ago than to have a lower number weight-wise and be the same "flabby" me - only smaller.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-05, 15:13

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwilightZ
Fair enough. Still nothing they would have done resembles running or other cardio activities carried out beyond the point of pain.

Chasing wounded prey maybe, especially if they were really hungry and food had been a little scarce.

I don't know that any of us can presume to know the lifestyle of our early ancestors. Scientists have given us a good idea, but even this is subject to accuracy.

I do like Ori Hofmekler's Warrior Diet and Warrior Workout though.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jun-07-05, 21:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbfunTH

Just reading the table of contents gave me a headache.