Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 06:47

Plan: CAD
Stats: 140.5/132/121
BF:
Progress: 44%
Smile New member from South Africa

Dear All

Yes, i have started the Atkins diet about 6 weeks ago - with delightful results!!

I lost 5kg(oh yes, forgot that you guys are mostly in pounds - 11lbs) I was 64kg and are now 59kg.

My husband and colleagues thought I was crazy trying a low carb diet - needless to say my husband and his business partner started the diet yesterday and 4 people at work are starting today - i guess this is a word of mouth thing or seeing is believing!

Anybody else from South-Africa??

It seems like no low-carb products are available in South Africa - I will not mind to get the Keto-bread mix / or pizza mix just to indulge now and then! To be quite honest I really do not miss all that starch i use to eat all the time!!

My brother travels to Atlanta quite often and I asked him to have a look around for low-carb products - maybe he'll surprise me!

Well we are moving to Australia end of next year and hope these products will be more available there as i would like to even teach my children to rather follow this life style - prevention is better than cure (our family do tend to be on the chubby side)

Hope to hear from a fellow South African soon!! (of course all others as well!)

Regards
Carina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 16:55
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Carina,

I think you're the first members from S.A. Stick around, and hopefully more will join in this global revolution!

Wa'il
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-13-03, 15:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/242/165
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Ahh Finally another South African

Hi Carina

So glad to hear you from South Africa too.
Im from Northcliff JHB and would like to start a Atkins group in South Africa.. maybe import some products ect and have a regular meeting.

--MODERATOR'S NOTE--
Edited to remove email address, please do not post personal email addresses in public forums - Thank you.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-14-03, 00:53

Plan: CAD
Stats: 140.5/132/121
BF:
Progress: 44%

Hi Stamina

You will do great on LC. After my pregnancy I lost a lot!!!

I am now on CAD and enjoy myself thoroughly. I do this more to stay at goal weight than anything else. I realise when I try to eat normal than other persons, I pick up weight at an alarming rate.

On CAD I can however eat anything I enjoy once a day and even loose weight!! My reward meal include cake and chocolates - with no weightgain!!!

Now for the bad news..... 7 June 2003 is our big day!!!! We are leaving South Africa for Australia. I am a pharmacist and will begin working at the hospital in Maryborough, Queensland on 16 June 2003.

We can however stay in touch.

GOOD LUCK with your plans. I wished for low-carb products so many times before. I asked my brother to buy me some in New York, eventually he found the breadmix and told me that he will never pay R50 for a bread. I never had the pleasure to taste any LC Atkins product!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-03, 05:55

Stats: 230/230/180
BF:
Default Another South African

Hi Carina,

Nice to see that there is another South African on the site. I have just started (2 days) and so far so good. Based in Cape Town and need someone to discuss local problems and issues - like the fact that there seem to be no Low Carb products available. Perhaps we need to look for alternatives and if we are successful, let each other know.

I weigh in at a mighty 105kg and am aiming to get down to 85kg.

cheers and good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 01:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/140/127 Female 175
BF:
Progress:

Howzit
I just moved to Algeria last year from Mozambique. All my low fat & low carb supplies are from South Africa. We went back in January for a vacation & shopping trip, believe me you can find a lot, ex. pork rhinds, billtong. These alone would put me in heaven. Also go to a exercise store & buy whay powder or protein powder( sugar free & lactose free ) this is the closest thing to atkins powder.
Hope this helps
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-03, 03:58
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Hiya!

I'm South African too - but living in London.
Nice to see some fellow Seffricans doing well and losing weight! This diet is going to take the western world by storm, just you watch..

S
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-05, 11:16

Stats: 242/242/165
BF:

Hi Carina

Im back on this site... how is your lowcarb lifestyle going ?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-05, 08:46

Plan: Stillman & Atkins
Stats: 211/173/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default I'm in Douglasdale

Hi there,

I'm also from SA. Nice to know that there are other's from SA living to LC way of life.

Good luck to everyone.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-07, 06:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 330/317.0/154 Female 1.65cm
BF:
Progress: 7%

Gee wiskers didnt think there was any South Africans who were low carbing.
Hope you all stick around.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins - induction
Stats: 161/151/132 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 34%

Hey, you got a new SA member in your group!! ALthough I am German, was living in France and now live in Douglasdale / JHB.
Would love to hear more from you guys - did you meanwhile find some LC products here? And what do you eat for pork-rinds? Crackling?

Talk soon!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Sep-29-07, 02:48

Stats: 214/176/135 Female 5ft.7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi Everybody -- also in SA, Western Cape. Maybe if enough of us go Atkins, we'll start seeing more stuff in shops.

I've found a lot of low-cal, low/no-fat "detox" type diets dominate here, but maybe that will change? I hope!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-08, 13:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction 4eva
Stats: 393.8/290.4/198.0 Female 6' 1"
BF:Not today thanks
Progress: 53%

Hello fellow south africans!

Nice to 'see' you all here -- especiall since South Africa is in the dark lately lol. I was just reading on the other thread that biltong is loaded with suger - now I know why I am losing so slowly!

I found a mix of blue berries and pommegranite (spelling?) seeds in P'nP today - had some with cream - yummyyyyy

The new vanilla canderel in coffee with a dash of cream is a real treat!

Anyway - would love to hear from you all.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 01:26

Stats: 154/121/116.6 Female 5F 3"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Everyone...New Member so I hope I'm not opening a New Thread and that I'm only replying...I started Atkins about 3 months ago and lost about 15 kg...30 odd pounds...and yes, I'm so frustrated at the lack of Low Carb Products in our Country...been overseas for 3 years and it's amazing how available Low Carb products are...been Web surfing and can order everything I want from Overseas, but can you imagine the price ticket on that...!!! Pity I wasn't into Atkins when I was living overseas...LOL I am truely a CARB ADDICT...I need my bread or the odd roll and this Low GI just makes me feel like I've cheated on my "Diet"...so if anybody knows of some shops that have Low Carb products I sure would love to hear from you...
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-09, 12:19
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

South African Thread Resurrection (tm)