Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default Just a delicious soup that I make all the time

This can be subject to a lot of variation - I use it same thing for making turkey soups (once the majority of meat is eaten off I just stick everything else into the pot) or really any kind of meat soup.

-large pot cold water (it really should be cold)
-oxtails (or any other fatty meat with bones.. I generally mix it up: ham hock, maybe a rabbit, some beef marrow bones.. you can get a lot of great nutrients out of the joint bones, esp pork feet) Oxtail meat is so tender and delicious.
-if you want more meat add a roast or some chuck
-add veggies: onion, leek, celery root, celery, if you want add a turnip and a parsnip or carrots. I always take them out once it's finished cooking so I don't chop them small, but you could leave them in.
-add peppercorns, lots of bay leaves, if you want a couple of dried hot peppers and salt. You may find that the taste isn't quite.. TASTY enough, let it sit for a couple days in the fridge and it will become very tasty.

-simmer for a day or 2
-strain broth, separate meat from bone and remove veggies. Add meat back to broth. If there was a TON of fat on the meat you may want to refrigerate over night and skim some of it off. Warm up again and add worsteshire sauce, salt, pepper, other spices that you feel like and lots of parsley.
-this can be eaten that day, but tastes infinitely better after a few days sitting in the fridge. The flavours intensify and really become wonderful.
-This is very nourishing and besides being delicious is a perfect food for people who are sick or who are having trouble eating solids. They shouldn't have the fat skimmed off.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 23:58
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Thanks for this, Meg. I have a freezer full of meaty veal bones, but everytime I try to make broth, it comes out fairly bland. I'm going to try it your way, and leave it in the fridge a day or 2; see if that helps.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 06:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Mmm... I haven't bought canned broth in ages; since I discovered how much better home-made is. I usually chop off the fat and simmer the veggies in it first, but your way sounds easier.

Best of luck with your forthcoming little one.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-04-05, 22:59
Registered Member

Plan: Somersize
Stats: 270/175/175 Female 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

I save (and freeze in a gallon ziploc bag) all my veggie scraps. When I cut the ends off onions or scallions (the green part), trimming & peeling from zucchini & yellow squash, asparagus ends, celery ends, tomatoes that are getting soft (same with mushrooms) - etc.! I toss it all into a ziploc bag in the freezer and save these for making stock.

You'd be surprised how fast these scraps accumulate and they are just wonderful for stock. I do not save things like cabbage or broccoli - just too strong.

I have learned to staple the ziploc shut when it's full as by now, it's been opened and closed several times and I've had a couple pop open in the freezer, what a mess.

When I make my stock, it's all made with food items that normally would be thrown away, including beef bones and chicken carcasses, etc. This works great and if you're like me and hate to toss these things when they'll make something so delicious - give it a try.

I make so much stock, that I have to can it. Store bought stock doesn't come close to homemade. *Ü*
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 17:30

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSin-Deb
I save (and freeze in a gallon ziploc bag) all my veggie scraps. When I cut the ends off onions or scallions (the green part), trimming & peeling from zucchini & yellow squash, asparagus ends, celery ends, tomatoes that are getting soft (same with mushrooms) - etc.! I toss it all into a ziploc bag in the freezer and save these for making stock.

that a super idea.............thanks
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 17:32

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:

I just made this soup yesturday...in my crock pot.I will eat it for the next week adding new/different veggies every day.It is so filling and you can really eat as much as you want.