Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 18:18
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:

Okay now I'm really confused on this! My doctor put me on synthroid a few months ago. He said I was borderline. I don't know what is going on except I am continually gaining weight and other than that I don't notice any other change. Except I started itching like crazy about a month after I started taking the stuff! A few weeks ago I had blood drawn again and he said I showed a spike so he decreased my dose to .25 to see what happens. I just want to quit taking it completely!!! He started me out on .50 which is the next to lowest dosage. The idea was to help me get energy and my metabolism kicking. I have fibromyalgia and the doctor is thinking that my thyroid could be what is draining me rather than the fibro. This is a new doctor and at first I thought maybe he was on to something. He told me that me being hungry all the time was a good sign and meant my metabolism was working. Oh wonderful, so what gain another 50 lbs.!!! I don't understand this. Have any of you ever stopped taking this medication? At least when I wasn't on it I could take my green tea pills and get energy plus supress my appetite!

Hi Cissie:

If you have Fibro, have you read Dr. Teitelbaum's book called End Fatigue? If not, I think you'll find it fascinating. Not only does he believe that thyroid is an issue with Fibros, but often the adrenals are as well. Actually, the hypothalamus is the issue, to be more precise. It was definately the case with me.

As for the Synthroid, it could mean that you need to switch to something like Armour if you are gaining weight on Synthroid. However, at 50mcg, I can't imagine the Synthroid would be causing such huge weight gain/hunger. I dunno, seems odd. The itching could be adrenal related or you could be reacting to the fillers. It could be one and the same as people with adrenal problems are very sensitive to medications and allergens etc.

You may be interested in visiting Dr. John Lowe's website. He also specializes in Fibromyalgia and wouldn't dream of putting anyone with Fibro on Synthroid. He's very keen on T3.

My other question is "what's this spike he's talking about"? Can you post your latest lab results?

This process can be very frustrating. I was in a living hell for months before things started to improve. Don't give up just yet, you still have lots of choices left.
Sponsored Links