Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 08:57

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

But that's why you post in the other boards. This is for Triple Digits. This is a support group that is helping save some of our lives, not because we want to lose a few vanity pounds. There are other threads on Active Low Carber, why are certain people trying to hijack our thread???
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 09:36

Plan: LC - 50C or less
Stats: 455/246/200 Female 5ft 9in
BF:
Progress: 82%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasmom
But that's why you post in the other boards. This is for Triple Digits. This is a support group that is helping save some of our lives, not because we want to lose a few vanity pounds. There are other threads on Active Low Carber, why are certain people trying to hijack our thread???

????? I dont even know what to write about that last post. Im sure you all have your own opinions.

I'll share mine.

I think that everyone has the right to be concerned or not concerned with their own weight/loss/gain. I dont get irritated at people that come on here looking to lose 10 lbs or something in that nature. I wish I had done that in the beginning.

What I do get aggrivated at are the people that come here looking for a quick fix or a "diet". Those are generally the people that dont take it seriously and wont ever take it or any other diet seriously, even though they have probobly obesessed and tried everything on the planet to lose that extra 10 lbs.

The TDC people (I think) generally come here as a final journey. They find that this works for weight loss, they find its livable, and they find that they feel much better. They start relizing that they are unhealthy and want to live better lives. Alot of people with less weight to lose dont relize this (yes Im generalizing) and this is just another stop along their vain way to losing that 10 lbs of baby fat (call it what you will).

ALTHOUGH ~ some people DO relize this .. even at 10-20 lbs. Those people I am here to support just like I would someone with 50lbs to lose ... or even 150lbs to lose. Its easy to think they are being just silly because they dont have much to lose, but I just try to take it one post at a time. If I think they are comeing off as just being one of those people I wont see next month then I dont even bother. Some others are tiny but I still identify with them because they are doing it to be healthy. I admire those people honestly. They still have all the temptations that we have, and possibly even more due to the fact that they have never been REALLY overweight, so whats stopping them besides their willpower and health. You said yourself they dont/cant identify with us...therefore its not for the same reasons that we might not cheat or endulge.

About the hijacking of the thread... seriously get a grip. Do you ONLY read TDC forums? Whens the last time you went to the newbie forum? How bout any of the others that dont apply to you? I do it all the time, Im sure many others do too...and Im sure you do. How did it turn into an "Us against You" thing. I dont want to be in a place where I exclude someone soley based on what they weigh or any other thing. I will dismiss people based on individual attitudes, not on something as trivial as that.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 10:39
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

LiveWell... I don't know how to respond to parts of your post... I go to the other areas of the board ot offer advice to those who ask about WHERE I'VE BEEN. I don't go in the Mantenance forum trying to tell them how to do things, I don't hang out in other areas where I don't "fit". I've actually been told by a couple of people (who have since left, I notice) that if I don't like their attitude, stay in the TDC, where I BELONG.

I really think it's okay to have a sanctuary on the board for like people. Nobody's saying people aren't free to read whatever parts of the board they want, it's just that before you post, it might be nice to LOOK where you're reading first. Much like the people who inadvertently end up in the South Beach forum trying to tell them what they can and can't have, based on Atkins because they didn't see where they were... I see plenty of the 10-pounders joining in the TDC without seeming to realize. There should be ONE place where a person doesn't have to hear about those 10 lbs.

JMHO
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 10:51
LC Bridezilla

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 122/99/105 Female 62 inches
BF:Who/Cares
Progress: 135%

PotatoFree,

I agree with your saying that people should read before they post. I saw this thread from the main page and have NEVER posted in here because I don't normally belong here. And yes, you should have somewhere to go to share like experiences without alot of clutter.

The only reason I posted is because I saw a severe amount of reverse discrimination going on. I would never say those things about a person that's overweight and I don't expect to see them in a place where I go for sanctuary myself. It would be fine if it was a private thread, but the OP was there for all to see off the main page and I clicked on it. I have had the same struggle to change myself when I really didnt have to...I could pretty much eat whatever I wanted without any significant weight gain. Now that I'm sick I have to give up so many foods that I enjoyed...just like all of you.

I'm not going to post in here anymore no matter what the rebuttals are. Just know that I would never turn any of you away if you need encouragement or even have a question pertaining to something General LC. I wish you all the best of luck in your journeys. It has to be tough...it was for me and I didn't have society on my back telling me I'm not acceptable. I can't empathize, but I can sympathize and my thoughts, prayers and well wishes are with you all.

Signed,
A Skinny Bitch
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 11:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
LiveWell... I don't know how to respond to parts of your post... I go to the other areas of the board ot offer advice to those who ask about WHERE I'VE BEEN. I don't go in the Mantenance forum trying to tell them how to do things, I don't hang out in other areas where I don't "fit". I've actually been told by a couple of people (who have since left, I notice) that if I don't like their attitude, stay in the TDC, where I BELONG.

I really think it's okay to have a sanctuary on the board for like people. Nobody's saying people aren't free to read whatever parts of the board they want, it's just that before you post, it might be nice to LOOK where you're reading first. Much like the people who inadvertently end up in the South Beach forum trying to tell them what they can and can't have, based on Atkins because they didn't see where they were... I see plenty of the 10-pounders joining in the TDC without seeming to realize. There should be ONE place where a person doesn't have to hear about those 10 lbs.

JMHO

I agree and disagree. Granted someone might post/join TDC by accident, not knowing what its for. But those FEW (like 2 or 3?) people that posted on this thread werent posting "HOW DO I LOSE MY 10LBS?", they were simply replying to a post with their opinions on it. Granted it wasnt directed towards them necessarily, but they read it and felt the need to reply so whats the big deal? I guess I just felt that post was a bit rude (for a lack of a better word).

I do see the point in that the places you visit are because you "have been there", I never really thought about that side of it. BUT... maybe its just me but I have still visited forums where I have no business being. No I wouldnt give my advice (I visit south beach forum, ect) But I do read them....and I cant say that I wouldnt have the urge to post on one if it was about something like this. I would probobly reply to someone saying "How do you feel when Atkins people say its the best/healthiest diet"...some South Beachers may go on about how stupid we are and how we are going to die from kidney damage, I feel I can defend that, even though its not on my board.

I am the classic "middle ground" person, I can usually ALWAYS see peices of everyones side. But I am also one that defends people when I think they are being exclusive to others. They have a right to their own opinions...whos to say they dont have the right to make a statement - just because YOU (all the you's out there) think that they cant see where you are comeing from? I dont see it that way.

They may have never been overweight, maybe their father died from complications from obesity. Maybe they had a weight issue as a younger child/adult and are VERY concious of their weight. Their stats may not give clue to this at all if they did not low carb/join low carb forum until afterwards.

Quote:
I've actually been told by a couple of people (who have since left, I notice) that if I don't like their attitude, stay in the TDC, where I BELONG.

Doesnt make it right. They were wrong, we dont all have to be.

I guess my small and pointless point is that everyone is entitled to their own opinions - they should also be entitled to post about it. IMOH
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 11:26

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/235/117 Female 5'4
BF:Mucho Fato!
Progress: 0%
Default "

Why would anyone tell someone on this board to post where "They Belong?" This board is supposed to be for support isn't it? I thought we were all on the same team. Being that I have 100 pounds to lose, I feel more comfortable posting in the TDC thread, because I can relate to everyone here and vice versa. But for me to tell soemone, "You only have 10 pounds to lose, go away!" I don't think I could do that. It would really hurt me if someone did that to me.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 11:26
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I'm sure there are plenty of people speaking disparagingly about Atkins in the other areas. One of the reasons I no longer list Atkins as my plan is I got tired of being told by the purists I was doing it WRONG.. And since I've gathered some info from other plans, I'm not exactly fitting THERE either...

For days when I feel like I need to defend Atkins against people who say inaccurate things, there's always the War Zone.

Kryssi- thanks for your opinion. I really think there ought to be a special area, if there isn't already, for those of you who are petite and tired of being accused of having an eating disorder. I'm sure you get tired of having to justify yourself to others.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 11:32

Plan: My own
Stats: 235/235/117 Female 5'4
BF:Mucho Fato!
Progress: 0%

Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of people speaking disparagingly about Atkins in the other areas. One of the reasons I no longer list Atkins as my plan is I got tired of being told by the purists I was doing it WRONG.. And since I've gathered some info from other plans, I'm not exactly fitting THERE either...

For days when I feel like I need to defend Atkins against people who say inaccurate things, there's always the War Zone.

Kryssi- thanks for your opinion. I really think there ought to be a special area, if there isn't already, for those of you who are petite and tired of being accused of having an eating disorder. I'm sure you get tired of having to justify yourself to others.

I have in the past, been bashed for doing Atkins too. I really don't care for that. My daughter is tall and very thin. She has been that way all of her life, and people always ask me if she has an eating disorder. That makes me so mad! She eats very well, she was just blessed with a slender build and a great metabolism. If people would focus on themselves, and stop worrying about what everyone else is doing, there would be less strife in the world.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 11:37

BF:

Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty of people speaking disparagingly about Atkins in the other areas. One of the reasons I no longer list Atkins as my plan is I got tired of being told by the purists I was doing it WRONG..

hahaha I've been afraid of that exact thing happening. I know some people are very strict - VERY VERY VERY strict about EVERYTHING the book says, and will preach it EVERY time. And some are just the opposite with the "find what works for you" attitude. I tend to agree with those people mostly. I do agree that you should read the books to have somewhere to start though!
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 12:21

Plan: Atkins/Oprah/Phil
Stats: 228.4/187.6/175 Female 71 nches
BF:32%//26.4 BMI
Progress: 76%

Hi,
Just wanted to say that I always go to the main page to read the topics, so I don't always notice which forum they've originated in....if they interest me or I feel like I can have any input, I respond...I've been reading this one and had never noticed that it was a TDC thread untill just reading the last several posts, but even if I had I wouldn't have thought twice about joining in. I have a total of 60 to 70 pounds to lose myself, so I just kind of counted myself as one of the gang. I responded earlier that I don't always notice the stats on the people that have a lot less to lose than I do, but then I don't always notice the stats on those that have much more either...

Now, the few new threads that I've started I do try to put them under whichever category they might fit best....I truly love to read most of the areas of the board and I've never thought of them as being segregated in any way except that some will be aimed at certain diet plans that I'm not versed in at all or have never even heard of or maybe something like young women who are pregnant and want to discuss the diet issues (one of many things I know nothing about..

Anita
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 16:35

Plan: Semi-Vegeterian LCer
Stats: 375/000/220 Female 5'5
BF:45%
Progress: 242%

"About the hijacking of the thread... seriously get a grip. Do you ONLY read TDC forums? Whens the last time you went to the newbie forum? How bout any of the others that dont apply to you? I do it all the time, Im sure many others do too...and Im sure you do. How did it turn into an "Us against You" thing. I dont want to be in a place where I exclude someone soley based on what they weigh or any other thing. I will dismiss people based on individual attitudes, not on something as trivial as that.?-LiveWell

I realize that was a strong statement but I meant it. I am not saying that there should be proof of membership or weight status to visit, but this is the Triple Digits club for people who are seriously overweight, from 200 lbs on up. And it doesn't make sense for someone to expect others not to take offense if they are joining in on conversations or starting threads in a forum for seriously overweight people, when they don't have that problem or have never experienced it. It's like I said, it would be like me joining a forum for thin people expecting them to understand my issues, they can't. Active Low Carber has lots of threads for people of all diets and physical levels, and this one is for us. I think it's important that we finally feel like we can go some place and belong. I think its important for the first time in our lives to be able to talk to other people who have been or are going through what we're going through!!!

P.S. I don't go to newbie forums because I have no interest in that personally. I stay with this thread and the recipe section. That's my choice. As far as getting a grip, believe me I have one. But, hijacking is an official internet word, meaning that someone goes on to a chat/forum and takes over and this is what we're saying we don't want. We want to keep the TDC for Triple Digits. If someone else wants to come on and learn, great, but understand what this thread is for and who its for. Now, you can disagree with me, that's fine but this is my opinion on the subject. I have finally found people going through the same thing in my life, my heartaches, and struggles and it would hurt me dearly if suddenly this thread changed!!!
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Apr-30-05, 20:25

Plan: PSMF 1/1/5
Stats: 268/228/155 Male 66"
BF:48/39/12
Progress: 35%

Wow!

It's hard to express what I was feeling when I posted. But I had just read a post about a person who joined and stated they needed to lose 10 pounds. To be honest, if I weighed 165 pounds instead of 230 pounds, I would not be on this forum looking for support. At that moment, I thought it was silly that anyone would complain about 10 pounds.

What is now clear to me, is that I have lived my life at a normal weight and at an extremely obese weight. So it makes sense that I might feel a little annoyed at other people who are looking for help for what seems to be an insiginifcant problem.

Now this is where I have been educated, understanding that a person who has been a normal weight for year and years or even their entire life, and has gained 10 or even 20 pounds could be devastated.
  #58   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 16:51
LC Bridezilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRaidr
To me any amount of weight lose if hard for anyone, I think it's even harder to lose just 10lbs when you are already at, or under the height/weight scale thing.

skinny little bitches..oopps did I type that out loud??

I don't care if this is all in good fun or not...it hurts. If I did this in reverse, calling people names like that it would go against everything I believe in.

I can see I'm not going to get any support on this one so I'll take it into my own hands and just start threads regarding the "not alot to lose club".

Thanks EVER so much.

Last edited by KryssiMc : Mon, May-02-05 at 18:35.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 18:28

Plan: induction
Stats: 203/202/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Oh please Kryssi, I didn't see you complainng ,when I gave you a compliment on another thread/post.

I'm so sure you never made a sarcastic joke about anyone.

Anyway, I would hope I'm not tresspassing on anyones thread, when I post in the triple digits, I found the Meat and Egg fasters there, and that's why I came here.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, May-02-05, 18:35
LC Bridezilla

No, you please...it wasn't funny. I am NOT any kind of bitch.