Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 23:02

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

I've been suffering with severe depression since I was 14. It's rearing it's ugly head yet again and I need help. It's probably the worst it's ever been and just getting moreso as the days pass.

I know I need to get to a doctor. I know I need to be on some sort of medication. (I've seen people doing rather well on lexapro and it seems to have very few side affects, so that's what I'm hoping for, but I'll see what a doc has to say.) I also know I should be back in therapy.

However, there's one more problem. My insurance company doesn't cover this and I don't have any spare money (literally, none. I'm typical "working poor") and the only free clinics I could find won't help me if I have private insurance. Where the hell do I go for help I can afford?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 23:28

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 247/149/120 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

I'm sure there are thousands of other people out there that suffer from depression and are unable to go to a therapist me being one of them. I take zoloft and that helps with my depression and anxiety. I dont really have any sound advice for you but just knowing that someone is going through what I am going through, or has gone through helps me. Maybe starting a journal and writing down how you feel and then people could stop by and offer you some form of support. I wish you the best
  #18   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 09:41

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hi...I have manic depression and just wanted to wish you all well... I know how difficult it is...extremely difficult... I am taking it one day at a time and trying to get my life back...social life and professional life... They tell me it takes time and that I am impatient...I guess that's true... It's been a long time and I feel like I am living Groundhog Day the movie... Have different phobias that prevent me from have A LIFE...
  #19   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 17:41

Plan: No one plan
Stats: 208.5/180.5/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Yeah they told me it takes time too... but it's been 11 years... how much more patient do I have to be!?

I'm feeling a bit better today (not manic, just not as depressed) which is a really nice change. Plan on spending most of monday on the phone with my insurance company begging them to at least cover medications, if not maybe some of the therapists bill.

I figure hey, the most they could do is say no and I'm in the same boat I'm in right now.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: 2/26/05
Stats: 280/280/170 Female 5'7
BF: tub o' lard
Progress: 0%

Hi there, I know how you feel. I was dealing with awful anxiety, and panic attacks. I am currently taking Paxil,and occasionaly Xanax and Klonipin. The Paxil has helped me tremendously. I have noticed you are also from Florida. I do not have any insurance, but I have found a clinic that sees people with no insurance, and they use a sliding scale. ( not a free clinic if they feel you can afford to pay a little, they make you, according to your pay stubs, or use your insurance) unfortunatley, I am on the side of the scale where it tips waaay to the poor side, so I don't have to pay for the visits. sometimes they have samples for medication, but if I get a prescription, I either use their own pharmacy where it is really cheap, or I go to Costco. You really need to find a doctor, and you deserve to feel better.
If you would like, you can contact me, maybe you live in my area, and I can give you the info. um, I am thinking either through my e-mail on my profile, or a pm? I am a doufus when it comes to fancy computer stuff!
I wish you alot of luck, to feeling better!

Last edited by Rainyday68 : Sun, May-22-05 at 19:16.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 02:28

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyArya
I've been suffering with severe depression since I was 14. It's rearing it's ugly head yet again and I need help. It's probably the worst it's ever been and just getting moreso as the days pass.

I know I need to get to a doctor. I know I need to be on some sort of medication. (I've seen people doing rather well on lexapro and it seems to have very few side affects, so that's what I'm hoping for, but I'll see what a doc has to say.) I also know I should be back in therapy.

However, there's one more problem. My insurance company doesn't cover this and I don't have any spare money (literally, none. I'm typical "working poor") and the only free clinics I could find won't help me if I have private insurance. Where the hell do I go for help I can afford?

sometimes if you write a company after the dr. prescribes something, they may send you some, other times dr.s have samples........
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 02:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainyday68
Hi there, I know how you feel. I was dealing with awful anxiety, and panic attacks. I am currently taking Paxil,and occasionaly Xanax and Klonipin. The Paxil has helped me tremendously. I have noticed you are also from Florida. I do not have any insurance, but I have found a clinic that sees people with no insurance, and they use a sliding scale. ( not a free clinic if they feel you can afford to pay a little, they make you, according to your pay stubs, or use your insurance) unfortunatley, I am on the side of the scale where it tips waaay to the poor side, so I don't have to pay for the visits. sometimes they have samples for medication, but if I get a prescription, I either use their own pharmacy where it is really cheap, or I go to Costco. You really need to find a doctor, and you deserve to feel better.
If you would like, you can contact me, maybe you live in my area, and I can give you the info. um, I am thinking either through my e-mail on my profile, or a pm? I am a doufus when it comes to fancy computer stuff!
I wish you alot of luck, to feeling better!

Hi, question: what does paxil do for you? it just makes me more relaxed, I dont know.....I just dont like to take it.....I heard it is difficult to go off of...
  #23   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 02:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeweeaka
Hi...I have manic depression and just wanted to wish you all well... I know how difficult it is...extremely difficult... I am taking it one day at a time and trying to get my life back...social life and professional life... They tell me it takes time and that I am impatient...I guess that's true... It's been a long time and I feel like I am living Groundhog Day the movie... Have different phobias that prevent me from have A LIFE...

I hear ya on the "groundhog day movie" I feel the same way.....

I never used to be this way.... if people knew how crippling it is....I have worked for over 25 yrs...do you know if it is difficult to get social security benefits for depression? thanks so much, Gina
  #24   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dws1119
Many people suffer from depression. As well as a host of other brain disorders. I am Bipolar. I have good and bad days. The mania is not as bad now but the depressive episodes seem to get worse when I'm worn down. Losing all this weight has helped some. But it isn't a miracle cure. I do have tons of more energy.
I am a Psych Rn also, so i deal with these issues every day. When the world realize that brain disorders are just like any other illness. Before I lost my weight, I suffered from numerous health issues. I just took my meds every day. The same goes for my bipolar. I just take my meds every day. Just not as much now.

I wonder how difficult it is to obtain social security benefits for depression, I worked over 25 yrs........at various places, thx..
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 10:58

Plan: Atkins.
Stats: 226/222/161 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 6%

I am on Lustral which is ok but I know it is hurting my sex drive and I want it back, I need it now.
I tried to come of it in January but I got pretty sick, I need to be on paid sick leave too come of it because I can't do it and work.
I had to keep leaving the office to be sick.
I also get anxiety attacks and I am really struggling now because I have to fine a new but temporay job, then I have to move across the city etc. My parents are leaving England so everything is changing fast.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 11:08
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%

I also suffer with severe bouts of depression, once actually resulting in me being admitted into hospital because of it.
I think a lot of stigma is placed on depression, when in fact it is a lot more common than people think. I think a lot of folk don't talk about it so you never get to find out how many people have it, i think I read somewhere that at least one in 4 people in the US will suffer with depression at sometime in the course of a year. That's a lot of people!

I suffer with SAD and it's hell for me in the winter. I get so down I just feel like going to sleep and never waking up again!

I sympathise with all of you, and it's nice to see a thread started up for it.
I think that a LC way of life does help with my mood - I have felt a lot more positive (with only one bout of depression) in the last year, so I am pleased that combining LC with the support of other sufferers will be productive and a great idea!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 11:30

Plan: My own combo
Stats: 147/135/132 Female 1.72cm (5'8'')
BF:no clue
Progress: 80%

I've been following group therapy for the last 7 months (18 hours per week) and it's weird too see how *normal* we all -7 people in my group- look....I mean.....there are so many people out there who suffer from depression and/or other mental conditions but you wouldn't tell from the way they look or the way they behave *out there*....it's also a pity that so many people don't try to get some form of help...by this I mean even talking about it with a friend or something......
  #28   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 17:47
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 375/170/160 Female 5'2"
BF:not as much now
Progress: 95%
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyArya

...I also know I should be back in therapy.
...don't have any spare money (literally, none. I'm typical "working poor") and the only free clinics I could find won't help me if I have private insurance. Where the hell do I go for help I can afford?

{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}

I am so sorry for the difficulties you are going through at this time. It is difficult dealing with any brain disorder. I truely understand the money situation. Were it not for the programs I've been able to find, there is no telling where I would be now.
I only saw that you are located in Florida, so I could not find particular mental health reasources in your particular area. But here is a site(if I can link it)that you can use for a jumping off point.

http://www.mentalhealth.org/

To everyone else who has posted on this thread:
{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}
I too have difficulties. With the permission of the author--I plan to continue the anology of "GROUND HOG DAY". Everyday we struggle to improve our quality of life. We have good and bad days. Our Psych MDs and therapists help, to a point. Ultimately it is on our shoulders.
I personally have been having a very difficult time of late. Due to my surgery some of my meds do not work as well. This has led me into a series of rapid cycling. I have 1 "normal" day each week now, Wednesday. By the weekend I am so manic I survive on no sleep. Then Mondays are my non-days as I like to call them. I merely exist. Then I build back up to normal by Wednesday. Then the cycle starts all over again.

Carmen---so many fail to receive help because of the stigma associated with brain disorders. We are told to "be strong; it will pass; pray about it; just shake it off" or a host of other BS. I work within a mental health facility. The new employees just can't believe my story when they first hear it, nor can the clients. The first words out of their mouth,"but you seem so normal" It has taken me a long time to get to my present state. I've been battling this all my life(undiagnoised too). Until this little set back I was stable for a number of years. Not that it was easy either. I still live everyday in my "ground hog day" scenerio.

But all of you out there should read one of my quotes at the end of my post. It is SO APPROPIATE!!! This board is an open forum of support. Most of us with obesity issues, have underlying issues also. That's why this thread was begun in the first place. Do not suffer in silence.YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!

I, truely apologize for rambling on and on and on.....
But I am very passionate about this. For further info on depression or other brain disorders visit this site.

National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI)
  #29   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 18:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/255/150 Female 67
BF:way too much
Progress: 0%

Hi,
Like many of you I have suffered from depression for years muck of it situational. My doctor had put me on Wellbutrin and kept increasing it. The more he did the worse I became. When he weaned me off it was like a dark cloud had been lifted. Through counsesling I have worked through allot. I have spent year trying to please others and turned to eating as a source of pleasure. Today I am on Atkins, started exercising on week 2 and feeling good. I had been put back on Zoloft which I prefer and now am down to 50mg.
As a nurse I cannot stres enough to have a professional wean you off. I have seen patients go through horrible side effects when they try to go cold turkey.

Erin
  #30   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 18:35
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 375/170/160 Female 5'2"
BF:not as much now
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinRN
As a nurse I cannot stres enough to have a professional wean you off. I have seen patients go through horrible side effects when they try to go cold turkey.

Erin, I could not ageree with you more. What is it about those of us on psych meds. We just play around with them willy nilly. BIG NO NO!!
You would not see a someone with any other disease do that.

Well any way, great to another RN here. I know alot of us have food issues. Think maybe it's the stress of the job? I used to do OHICU. But changed to Psych(for obvious reasons). There are also alot of nurses in my WLS support group too.

Diane