Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 13:41

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel

Which is about a diet developed by a Polish Doctor which promotes eating amounts of fat which far exceed the amounts you eat when you are on Atkins or other known lo carb diets. An example for the recommended (Fat/Protein/Carbs) ratio is (81%/12%/7%)

this was what i was talking about......81% Fat
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 13:43

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneMitch
I'm quite on the same page than Kestrel, I keep the carbs to 50-80g, somedays I may get only 30g, but usually I'm right in the 50-80 range.

The fat stays high, animal fat mainly, and the exercise I do is relatively intense, but no more than 4x a week, including a deck hockey game once a week (hey, I'm from Quebec, what do you expect!!). the other 3 sessions are weight training sessions, around an hour each. During the summer, I use more my bike to travel, so my caloric intake will be higher, but the carbs will stay low.

It sounds like with both you and kestrel, the fat has to stay high in order to maintain rather than lose.....also, I wonder if because both of you are guys, that you have that extra benefit. Us women have a harder time.

I still have a long way to go before I am able to read what my body is telling me it needs in order to maintain -- but it is nice to know that there is the possibility of staying high fat in maintenance (full agreement with the health benefits of such) when I reach that point. Guess I will figure out what works best for me when I get there!

Quote:
this was what i was talking about......81% Fat

Upthread, you said 65-70%. 81% does sound a little extreme to me -- the "fat" doesn't bother me, but the amount of protein v. the amount of fat does.

I may be wrong, but isn't a "fat flush" intended to be temporary?

Last edited by MeBLady : Sat, Apr-02-05 at 13:51.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 14:20

BF:

Meblady,

read some of the threads and you will find out that people are living on this high % of fat for life........they say it is wonderful.In the beginning i was asking why anyone would want to do this.I have found out from some of these people that food is not variety.I still dont beleive the diet is good for you but limited foods...no way
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 14:20

Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Yes, I'm a guy, and I keep the fat high particularly in the summer to balance calories against activity. If I need more calories, I eat fat, not protein. And carbs stay at the 50-80 grams level. 80% fat doesn't seem like an issue to me...
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 14:23

BF:

Kestel,

what are your stats.?

You say you are on low carb but don't you spend more time worring if you are getting enough fat.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 14:58

Stats: -/-/- Male 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Cygirl, I have no idea what you're implying about "food is not variety"...

I am on low-carb, and I don't worry about fat at all. If I'm loosing weight, then I need more calories, typically from fat. Loosing weight is not my goal at all. I believe in low-carb as it makes sense. If Lutz and others weren't having such success at treating colitus and Crohn's, and other intestinal disorders with low-carb, perhaps I'd have a different view of low-carb.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygirl
Meblady,

read some of the threads and you will find out that people are living on this high % of fat for life........they say it is wonderful.In the beginning i was asking why anyone would want to do this.I have found out from some of these people that food is not variety.I still dont beleive the diet is good for you but limited foods...no way

In this context I agree with you....not that high fat is unhealthy, but when fat is being substituted for protein and even some nutricious carbs, it seems to me more like another "fast" to keep the scale moving.

I see many people who do these types of fasts, and I think it is disheartening and not at all healthy.

With this particular diet, Lisa N posted the following, which made more sense to me:

Quote:
Also, it may sound extreme, but when you actually plug in the numbers, it doesn't look as extreme as you might imagine.
For example, protein requirements are based on body weight in kilograms (much like Protein Power) and the rest of the ratios are based on your protein requirements.
So...if you have a protein requirement of 60 grams per day, your fat intake would be 150-210 grams and your carb intake would be 48 grams.

Taking this in mind, I can't say that this would be a diet that I would be interested in doing, temporary or otherwise, but it doesn't seem to be TOO far off from Atkins.

IMO, one does need a balanced diet of nutricious foods in order to be healthy. If you look at the percentages of a LC diet, it doesn't seem balanced "on paper" because of the higher fat percentage....but actually living it and noticing what is put on one's plate does, indeed, show balanced nutricious meals.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 15:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel
Loosing weight is not my goal at all. low-carb.

your the only one i have come across that isnt trying to loose weight here.

the woman on the video has a (steady) yes steady diet of lard,cream and fatty meats.

how boring and unhealthy in time.oh she looks like hell frozen over too.

Last edited by cygirl : Sat, Apr-02-05 at 15:55.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 15:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeBLady

Taking this in mind, I can't say that this would be a diet that I would be interested in doing, temporary or otherwise, but it doesn't seem to be TOO far off from Atkins.

REALLY,have you looked at the thread( LCReserch) watch the video of the size 4 woman.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 16:21

Quote:
REALLY,have you looked at the thread( LCReserch) watch the video of the size 4 woman.

Yeah, I did look at the thread, and saw a picture of a woman doing it. She wasn't the prettiest woman I have ever seen by any means, but what exactly did you think was wrong with her?

LOL, she DID look better than I did in my "before" pic ;-)

Quote:
your the only one i have come across that isnt trying to loose weight here.

There are many around here that have reached their weight goals and now in maintenance.

I will say that a great majority of those I have run across that have been LCing longer than a few months do consider this to be a "WOL" and treat it as such...good health over weight loss....many in this specific area, which is why I check it often. I'm learning a lot from them!

I don't want to be like the many more newbies I have come across that seem to be treating LCing as a quick fix diet....lose weight as fast as they can and go back to their old bad habits. I've noticed those disappear quite quickly, which is also disheartening. Don't have too many people to share my journey with -- many that started at the same time as me are already gone.

Last edited by MeBLady : Sat, Apr-02-05 at 16:29.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 16:25

BF:

i thought she looked like she needed some fresh-air,sun and veggies...lol

you have done really well and i saw your before pic and you still look healthy.
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 16:30

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:

how boring and unhealthy in time.oh she looks like hell frozen over too.

I'm curious about where the research is that supports this statement.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 16:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:

*shrug* Considering camera lighting and probably no makeup, she looked fine to me. BTW...sun and fresh air have nothing to do with what you eat.
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 16:40

Quote:

LOL! I didn't think she looked unhealthy.....just kind of plain. Her neck looked badly wrinkled, but that could be age or dropping a huge amount of weight quickly.

Quote:
you have done really well and i saw your before pic and you still look healthy.

Oh God, I thought I looked 60 years old in my before pic. My hair was stringy, my skin was pale and puffy -- and I was in full make up with my
hair freshly done.

Thanks, I am pretty happy with my results so far. I'm 17 pounds lighter than my current avatar pic and in progress photo, it will be time soon to update my gallery.

Last edited by MeBLady : Sat, Apr-02-05 at 18:01.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Apr-02-05, 16:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikdriver
I'm curious about where the research is that supports this statement.

how do you research a opinion?And i am saying that if I came up with a new diet I would use someone a little more....well lets say.....healthy looking