Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-15-07, 16:01

Plan: Atkins/my own
Stats: 280/260/240 Male 77
BF:
Progress: 50%

One quick think...the link for 'yo-yo' dieting is broken. Can you still find the link and re-post?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Apr-01-07, 18:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dividedsky
One quick think...the link for 'yo-yo' dieting is broken. Can you still find the link and re-post?

All fixed!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-07, 11:21

Plan: LC, IF,no sugar
Stats: 294.5/278.3/180 Female 5'9" (top weight was 309)
BF:yes/I/do
Progress: 14%

I agree----gotta count those carbs and not loosly estimating how many you are consuming and also remember---this weight did get on us overnite---nor will it come off overnite(I had to come to that realization)so being patient and sticking to the program---the weight will come off--
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 13:42

Plan: Any low-carb
Stats: 280/270/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default ohh no ... not again this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citruskiss

4. stop thinking, "Oh a glass or two of wine won't make any difference" - I've now cut that out too

10. eliminated pork rinds

I agree with most of the post, but I have to question .... 4 and 10.

It may be different for everyone. For example, I'm a 270 pound, 36 yr old man, and I can have pretty much, as much wine or low carb beers, and porc rind, as i want without stalling.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe 4 and 10 are not really stall items? Yes, salt can make me retain water, but that doesn'T mean the fat is not coming off... once you stop eating porc rinds after a few days the water leaves the body and whoooosh the weight drops real fast to the 'real' body weight. Any that's how salf affect my body.

I would say... better to slip on pork rinds and retain water, than slip on ice cream and get fat.

Good luck all

tché
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-07, 23:14
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDBois
I agree with most of the post, but I have to question .... 4 and 10.

It may be different for everyone. For example, I'm a 270 pound, 36 yr old man, and I can have pretty much, as much wine or low carb beers, and porc rind, as i want without stalling.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe 4 and 10 are not really stall items? Yes, salt can make me retain water, but that doesn'T mean the fat is not coming off... once you stop eating porc rinds after a few days the water leaves the body and whoooosh the weight drops real fast to the 'real' body weight. Any that's how salf affect my body.

I would say... better to slip on pork rinds and retain water, than slip on ice cream and get fat.

Good luck all

tché

I think this is a good point - much better to 'slip' on something like a few pork rinds than to binge on something like full-sugar ice cream.

Back when I wrote my post in here, I was in the middle of a very long stall, and grasping at anything and everything that might be contributing to that stall of mine. Was it the citric acid in Diet Coke? Was it the salt in the pork rinds? Was it the occasional glass of wine? Was it the sugar alcohols...so many potential 'stallers' and yet each one of them could potentially be a problem for any one of us. I did find that too many pork rinds seemed to stall me more than if I avoided them altogether - but I do agree with you in that these are far better than some higher-carb alternative.

Funny how I wanted to 'blame' all these various potentially 'stall-inducing' items in my diet - and yet, the truth was - at the time (having made a huge move to a new country, and so on), I wasn't actually following the diet properly. Sure, I was 'doing' low carb, but it was more a maintenance version, rather than a weight-loss version - if that makes sense. I can have all the pork rinds I want, but not if I want to lose the weight. Same deal with things like sugar alcohols or the occasional glass of wine - all fine and dandy...for maintenance....

It's embarassing to admit, that back then I was constantly looking for the 'culprit' for my very long stall. I believed there must be *something* that was messing me up. And yet, I wasn't following plan properly. Just sort of coasting along 'doing' low-carb, without paying attention to portions, carb counts and guidelines. I never did gain any weight...but didn't lose either for a very long time. I wish I could say it was 'just' the pork rinds or that it must have been the Diet Coke or any other particular (and specific) thing....but then, I wouldn't be being honest with myself or others.

It boils down to complacency. With a lot of things.

No one thing in particular - as much as I'd have liked to point my finger and say 'aha - that thing stalls me, and this is the cause of all my problems'. Not so.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-07, 06:59
Thank you Dr Atkins!

Plan: Atkins induction
Stats: 311/250/220 Male 6 feet
BF:45%/20%/15%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Funny how I wanted to 'blame' all these various potentially 'stall-inducing' items in my diet - and yet, the truth was - at the time (having made a huge move to a new country, and so on), I wasn't actually following the diet properly. Sure, I was 'doing' low carb, but it was more a maintenance version, rather than a weight-loss version - if that makes sense.

Bingo. One of the problems people experience is called "carb creep". How many times have you said "oh this little dessert won't hurt" , "this one piece of ___ won't hurt", "this handful of peanuts won't hurt", and on and on and on.

Next thing you know - you're over the 50 grams of carbs per day - the point at which many of us gain or lose weight.

This year I don't crave desserts that much - but I have been craving chicken wings and quesadillas. There was one night I had quesadillas, then chicken wings the next night, and then quesadillas again the third night. On the fourth day I was like - "what is wrong with me?" - because I started feeling like crap again. It didn't take me long to figure it out.

I have no problem eating pork rinds. I do have a problem eating sugar alcohols and other "prepacked" low carb foods.

I can also eat all that I want - but I try to eat zero carbs. Granted I am not worried about some weight - like most of the women are. Because I am building muscle while burning fat.

I feel sorry for the women. They don't want to build muscle so they probably do have to worry about carbs and calories. I don't think that I could do that.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 14:56

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

This is a great post!

I thought for sure I was stalling, as the scale hasn't budged in a while- but the other day I was getting dressed and my DD says to me "that bra looks like it's too big on you". This was the smaller of the 2 sizes of bras I have in my drawer right now. So I went and took out my "incentive bra" that I ordered months ago (when I went down a size I ordered that size plus another bra a size smaller) and hey, the smaller one fits!

So I guess I can't be stalled if I'm fitting into smaller clothes! (Plus I know for a fact that "carb creep" was happening- I got smaller in spite of the "cheats"!!!)
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 15:23

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%

that's great, ruthla
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Jun-18-08, 18:12

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

This post is in the research section regarding why people stall and how a deficit must be generated in order to lose weight period.....http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...060#post7475060

Dr. Eades by the way...

TJ
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 02:40

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Just wanted to thank you for this post - I've been referring to it often lately as I try to refine my WOE. I *was* tempted to try that meat & egg fast, but after reading this thread, I realized that I truly haven't been doing all that I can do on the Atkins plan anyway - it makes so much more sense to go back to induction and eliminate things that could be causing my stall.

I've stalled since April. I also stayed away from these forums for awhile because I was too busy dealing with some personal stress and didn't have the energy or motivation to post or read.

I've since returned, and after a couple of weeks of reading (and in particular, this post of yours), I've managed to:

1. eliminate nuts
2. eliminate Diet Coke
3. decrease coffee consumption (too much cream for me)
4. stop thinking, "Oh a glass or two of wine won't make any difference" - I've now cut that out too
5. stopped eating those Reese's 1 carb Peanut Butter cups
6. water consumption is up ever so slightly - still working on it
7. cheese consumption is down to more reasonable levels
8. I'm eating more regularly again (got into a habit of not eating till like 2pm there for awhile, now I'm eating my breakfast again)
9. I'm back to actually measuring the blue cheese dressing, caesar salad dressing, ranch dressing etc. Because these dressings are so thick, it's easy to overdo it on portion sizes. Now I just make sure I mix it into my salads instead of gooping it on.
10. eliminated pork rinds

So thanks a bunch - it was your post that made the difference in my decision to "get real" with myself.

This is VERY helpful!
Thank you!

I can add another:

Are you exercising TOO much?
The body can react biochemically to save itself from losing too much.
I have done this so many times.
I cut back and the scale started to move again.
Ironic, isn't it?

Last edited by Israeli : Wed, Jul-22-09 at 02:46.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 05:58
Carpe Diem

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/260/185 Male 70
BF:42/33.7/25
Progress: 40%

Glad that I found this post. I am going to keep it handy.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-09, 13:52

Plan: Atkins 220.5lbs Jan 2007
Stats: 250/220.5/150 Female 5'5"
BF:?/?/25%
Progress: 30%

Good point about cutting all that stuff out. I've fallen off the wagon & I'm getting back on again on Monday. One thing I have cut out whether I'm sticking to plan or not is the diet sodas & crystal light.
I was drinking a fair bit of Crystal Light because it's been hot, but I really started to notice it was making me feel kinda cruddy. I was feeling more thirsty, more cravings, etc. I know it's not good for you so I have been making a conscious effort to cut it out (aspartame is actually a carcinogen). Then yesterday I read a news story about artificial sweeteners in our water supply. Apparently, sewage treatment is not able to filter out the chemicals used for artificial sweetening and so when you drink your diet soda, use the washroom and flush it down the toilet, those chemicals are going into our lakes and oceans and can affect the metabolisms of plants and animals (much like estrogen replacement hormones are causing reproductive problems in fish because sewage treatment isn't able to filter out the hormones).

Also, when you drink diet soda or chew sugar free gum, etc, the calories are zero, yes. There are not carbs, per se. BUT your body still reacts to these chemicals that trick your body which is why you get the cravings for more sweet stuff (then u end up drinking more diet soda and the cycle continues).

Cheese is the biggie for me. I eat way too much of it, so I can be on LC for months and not really lose any weight, which gets me discouraged. The best way to beat a stall is to eat totally clean. Lots of water, no artificial sweeteners or low carb candies or bars, little to no cheese or cream , hardly any salad dressing, just plan old salad veggies and meat & eggs.

Now it's time to take my own advice!!
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 01:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

Great thread ! Thank You!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-20-10, 04:09

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieB
Good point about cutting all that stuff out. I've fallen off the wagon & I'm getting back on again on Monday. One thing I have cut out whether I'm sticking to plan or not is the diet sodas & crystal light.
I was drinking a fair bit of Crystal Light because it's been hot, but I really started to notice it was making me feel kinda cruddy. I was feeling more thirsty, more cravings, etc. I know it's not good for you so I have been making a conscious effort to cut it out (aspartame is actually a carcinogen). Then yesterday I read a news story about artificial sweeteners in our water supply. Apparently, sewage treatment is not able to filter out the chemicals used for artificial sweetening and so when you drink your diet soda, use the washroom and flush it down the toilet, those chemicals are going into our lakes and oceans and can affect the metabolisms of plants and animals (much like estrogen replacement hormones are causing reproductive problems in fish because sewage treatment isn't able to filter out the hormones).

Also, when you drink diet soda or chew sugar free gum, etc, the calories are zero, yes. There are not carbs, per se. BUT your body still reacts to these chemicals that trick your body which is why you get the cravings for more sweet stuff (then u end up drinking more diet soda and the cycle continues).

Cheese is the biggie for me. I eat way too much of it, so I can be on LC for months and not really lose any weight, which gets me discouraged. The best way to beat a stall is to eat totally clean. Lots of water, no artificial sweeteners or low carb candies or bars, little to no cheese or cream , hardly any salad dressing, just plan old salad veggies and meat & eggs.

Now it's time to take my own advice!!

Yep, no more sodas for me.

Too much regular cheese also my down fall.
Now only white cheese thats 5% fat or less.

You CAN eat too much fat.
(Tho, I haven't had a reaction from cream.....yet.)

Sorry Schwartzbein, you are wrong.

Yes. Eat clean, un-processed, no dressings
no sauces, no artificial sweeteners.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jun-12-11, 02:54

Plan: just low carb high protei
Stats: 462/204/190 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress:

Still loosing weight just now . every week . not stalled - just so slow just not because i am only 14 St 9 Lbs and 30 Lbs of that is excess skin so really i am my target weigh if not under it so now i am proud i am loosing weight still