Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-05, 22:35

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 198/197/150 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress:
Default Metformin

How long does it take for the weight loss to kick in. Is anyone else on anything else to help with the weight loss or are you just taking Metformin?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-05, 07:54

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:yep
Progress: 58%

My weight loss started almost immediately. I am Just on metformin and then exercise and my diet plan. So far have lost 60 pounds since 09/28/04. Weight loss has stalled in the last month and I am desperate to get it kick started again. I miss the 10 pounds per month thing!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-25-05, 14:45

Plan: Low Carb Diets
Stats: 240/200/165 Female 5'10" 1/2
BF:
Progress: 53%

I also have PCOS and am insulin resistent. I am taking 500mg of Metformin 2x a day. I was told to drink lots and lots of water. I am not losing as quickly as I would like but, I have lost 10 pounds since 2/22/05. It didn't happen right away, all of a sudden one week I was done about 6 pounds. My weight loss hasn't been consistent but already I can feel a difference.

If you don't notice any weight loss after a month, go back to your doctor and have your dosage adjusted.

Working out also helps a lot.

Good luck,

Michele
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 14:20
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb for PCOS
Stats: 244/193/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:Going down
Progress: 69%

I have lost slowly but steadily since beginning Met last June (04). I am down 25 pounds WITHOUT exercise (had to move, change jobs, family drama, etc, and working out got pushed to the bottom). I still walk the dog 15 minutes twice a day, and of course I have cut out crappy carbs (potato chips, white bread, etc). Still, every once in a while I treat myself.. I still want to enjoy life. If that means I don't lose as fast, I'm okay with that. I feel so much better at least finally understanding WHY my body fought weight loss for so long. See your doctor about upping your dose. I'm now on 1000mg twice a day (basically at lunch and then before dinner or before bed) and am quite happy w/it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 21:45

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

I'm just curious as to how your doctors came to prescribe Met for you. I can't seem to get the doc to prescribe anything for me. When my old doc was told about the pcos, she ordered the usual tests and got the usual results and so didn't do anything about it except ask me if I wanted birth control pills. With my new doc I want to go in armed and ready. What did your docs do?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb for PCOS
Stats: 244/193/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:Going down
Progress: 69%
Default Docs RX for Met

I had to go to an endocrinologist. If your dr. won't work with you, FIND A NEW DOCTOR! I can't tell you how long I let drs boss me around, making me doubt myself and my body. I finally took control and said No, I will find someone who respects me enough to LISTEN to me and HELP me. I finally found it, but it was a long, hard battle. Hang in there and don't take no for an answer! I'm not saying Metformin is the cure for everyone.. but doctors can't just go "Oh well, you have PCOS, take some birth control pills that will only mask the symptoms and do nothing more." That's CRAP!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 17:22

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

Unfortunately, I'm insured with an HMO. The only way I can change doctors is to wait until the enrollment period in December. On the plus side though, I haven't even seen this new doc yet. Who knows, if I go in armed with information gleaned from all the web sites, this one might pony-up something worth trying.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 06:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
I feel so much better at least finally understanding WHY my body fought weight loss for so long.
This is EXACTLY how I feel. I've battled with weight loss my entire life, with doctors assuming I needed to curb my appetite or eat low fat. Nothing I tried ever worked, nothing. Now that I have an explanation, I feel SO much better!! I'm looking forward to the Metformin/Synthroid kick-in so I can start losing again, feeling better, and get rid of these blasted symptoms I've dealt with so long.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-05, 11:18

Plan: cut out carbs
Stats: 299.2/205.5/168 Female 173cm
BF:41%
Progress: 71%

im now on metformin that i got from my GYN, but a year prior to that my doc gave me diannette (pill) for the hormone imbalance and i lost 1 and a half stones on it with out doin anything no exercise or change in diet. i think she done this cause they 1st hav to test that u are capable of losin weight b4 givin u the met, thats my theory any ways D
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 07:32

Plan: None at the moment
Stats: 130/126/65 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default Diet plans while on metformin

About a week ago the doctor told me i had PCOS and that my insulin levels were 31.4 - they are supposed to sit between 2 and 23 so she put me on metformin 500mg twice a day. I am trying to get pregnant but i have to loose the weight first. I am 126kg now a week ago i was 129kg - thats awfull isnt it? I was told i could no longer have white bread pasta potatoes etc and I'm stuck as to what the hell do I eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I also have a really bad sweet tooth and i have no ideas as to what sort of diet i should be following - if anyone has any ideas that would be great.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 12:25

thats wat i used to think and i have been on met for 4months now

i read that ppl with pcos its best to eat wheat cereals for break fast, they help start the metabolism for the day and alltho carb types they arent refined ones wich is wat u want to avoid, so wheat is ok frm my understandin, i personaly hav shredded wheat and raisins for breakfast, then b4 lunch a banana, and then lunch a baked pototo with cotage cheese, and a low fat yoghurt, then b4 diner a apple, and for diner i hav some thing like basmati rice as its beter then white and brown, and griller chciken with some kind of salad, remember to drink a glass of water b4 each meal to make ur self feel more full up. and dont eat everything on ur plate unless ur stil hungry, as alot of us in adult life complete all on the plate out of habit from bein told as kids to eat all of it to get dessert, left over food is good food
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 12:16

Plan: haven't yet
Stats: 197/197/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default metformin

Could some one tell me how to take this medicine and how long it took to see results and feel better. I'm taking 137 mg synthyroid and just started on the medformin. The dr said maybe take 1/2 pill and work up to it each week.Also I need help in losing weight.. 50 pounds. Where should I start. I've had so much depression over my weight.

Thanks,

Tammy
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 12:42

wel wen u start takin metformin i found that u feel really ill for the 1st 2weeks and they go after about 4weeks and u feel fine but everyone is dif. as far as im aware they start slowly from when u start to take them my GYN said that what they do is kick start ur pancreas to make it absorbed food properly and help keep up with your insulin levels so this should start after about 3weeks. but what my doc siad to me is the weight wont go by itself, u really do need to exercise. i started goin to the gym and lost 22pounds in 4months by goin to the gym twice a week. dont have depression over ur weight/size. its not like u made ur self this way, blame pcos, i do and you will feel beter in the long run. teh doc prob told u to increase ur dosage grad this way to avoid any side affects so i should worry about them to much. best thing to do is write a meal diary of what u eat to look at what u can cut out. and u hav to remember eat small but frequent. never go longer then 4hours with out food, like a piece of fruit or something, because any longer then that and ur body will go in to starvation mode, wich means the next time u do eat it will hold on to it as long as possible so that it is prepared for the next long haul with out food. u need to keep ur metabolism fueld so snackin in between meals is good as long as its low cal low carb and healthy. drink a pint of water before a meal this way u will feel more full up and will eat less. left over food on the plate is good food if ur full stop eatin. the hole point of eatin is so we hav energy, so after a meal do some vigarous house work that will make sure u are usin ur energy and it wont turn in to fat from sittin down, plus ur house will never look cleaner

im sure u will be fine, i used to worry at the start but it really is a help takin metformin its the 1st time iv lost weight ever and in oct wil be my 1st birthday that the scales wasnt more then my age in years
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 14:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/234.8/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Could some one tell me how to take this medicine and how long it took to see results and feel better. I'm taking 137 mg synthyroid and just started on the medformin. The dr said maybe take 1/2 pill and work up to it each week.Also I need help in losing weight.. 50 pounds. Where should I start. I've had so much depression over my weight.
Hello Tammy! First of all, you're in the right place if you're interested in losing weight. With IR and hypothyroidism, low carb is the way to go - whether you want to lose weight or not. My advice is to read up on the different options out there (Atkins, South Beach, etc.) and decide what's best for you. Get some sort of exercise in as this will help as well. If you're like me, you'll initially think, "Yeah right, I'm too tired to walk to the mailbox some days." These two conditions combined do take their toll, but the medication does help a LOT.

I'm also on Synthroid and Met...the Met can be a bear the first week or so. Try to take it in the middle of your meal - never take it on an empty stomach. Talk about tummyaches!! I was just about convinced the first week that I was allergic to it because the pain got pretty intense. That's why the doc wants you taking 1/2 at first. It doesn't last, trust me.

Visit some of the other forums here and see what's working for others. I wish you luck and hope to see you around!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-05, 13:41

Plan: haven't yet
Stats: 197/197/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default thanks

Thanks for such encouraging words. Yes I have had tummy aches. I told my husband it was like taking antibotics my stomach has been so upset. I read in the bookstore that it caused hair loss in some women. Gosh I hope it doesnt'. Have you heard that?Could you tell me how much synthyroid you take and when did it begin to help. Right now I'm just trying to stay away every day without a nap. And I am trying to walk around the school a little. I notice you were from Ala. I'm from Georiga... Pretty close.

Thanks for the words again.
Tammy