Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 11:43

Plan: Atkins- whole foods only!
Stats: 240/240/155 Female 1.74m
BF:56%/56%/25%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylus
Safferbabe - great to hear from you! Congratulations!! I have answered your question in your journal - hope to see you in mine too.

Take care allxx
Karen

Have posted in your journal

Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 09:25

Plan: Stillman & Atkins
Stats: 211/173/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hello everybody!

Its been a while since I last posted a message on here.... Its nice to see that more SA folk are chatting here and making progress with the diet. I have been pretty much stalled between 171-173lbs but I know that its mainly due to my slacking of late. Will be fixing that from tomorrow onwards! The best thing that helps to accelerate the weight loss for me is having at least 3L of water per/day evenly spread out through the day. Sudden binge drinking at the end of the day (as I used to) is not very effective.

In a couple of weeks, my friend and I will be opening a little online shop for Lcarb products such as atkins etc. If that does well, then we plan to open up a little corner shop somewhere. I was in the States recently and I was amazed at how cheap the LC products are yet we seem to be ripped off by some folk who are selling them with high shipping costs etc..!

We should have a low-carb braai someday!

Regards to you all.

Tim's Mum
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 09:36

Hi there Tim's Mum

A braai sounds grand Where in SA are you from? I will most certainly support your shoppie. But please please please stock the Atkins Supplements too. Not necessarily the Atkins brand. Just any good quality brand containing what he recommends in DANDR. I promise to buy them

Best of luck with resuming your journey tomorrow

#34   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 12:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/137/130 Female 66.8 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hi Tim's Mum

Good to hear from you again - I'm so glad you haven't given up completely on this plan. We all have our lapses, but the fact that you have picked yourself up again and have the determination to carry on is more than half-way to success.

I will also definitely support your online shop - it's just what we have been discussing in our journals: the lack of any good online shopping for lc products.

Love the idea of the braai - we should make it like the US Meat and Greet which is going down this year!

xxKaren
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 06:32

Plan: Stillman & Atkins
Stats: 211/173/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hi Safferbabe & Stylus

Thanks for your replies. What wonderful positive women you are! The support from you guys is fab! I'm back on track today. 3 fried eggs, 2 porkies and 1 strip of bacon so far. And oh yes...I've just finished my 1st 2L of water. Another 1 or 2 to go. For dinner I will probably go for roast chicken or something like that. I'm not big on red meat so I find myself sticking pretty much to chicken and fish.

As for the braai, I'm open to ideas of where and when? I'm in Fourways but I'm flexible.

As for the shop... will keep you posted!

Regards,

Tim's mummy
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 06:17

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 194/173/156 Female 163cm
BF:
Progress:

Hi Tims Mom.
I live in Kwazulu Natal, and have been on atkins for about one and a half years now. I have just recently had a baby, so I went off it for a while, but am now back on full force. I know it definately works, its just that the variety gets a bit bland now and again. I am desperately looking for snack foods other than meat and salad
Take care
Amanda
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Mar-24-06, 14:27

Stats: 189/137/130 Female 66.8 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hi Amanda

Thanks for your posting in my journal - I've replied in your journal too.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby!!!

How old is he? You must upload some photos of him!

Welcome back to this forum - I'm so glad you have decided to give it a go again.

Atkins has definitely worked for me, though lately I have had to tweak the plan a bit, by cutting back on protein and increasing the fat. I'm losing a bit faster now and don't get hungry between meals anymore either.

If you are past induction, you can have nuts and berries for snacks, but try to eat small portions of these, some people stall with them (me included!) Sometimes I treat myself with Dinah's sugarfree jelly and cream. You can get this from Pick and Pay hypermarkets and some Spars. You can also try making some yummy low-carb goodies - why not try the recipe section here, there are some delicious ones like Mock Danish, pancakes, peanut butter cookies and Deep Dish Pizza Bake. Occasionally I eat biltong, but it is quite high in carbs and the salt will make you retain water, but it does add some variety.

If I'm really desperate for something, I often find that decaff filter coffee with a tbspn of whizzed up cream really hits the spot - I have about 3 cups a day..

Karen
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 00:48

Hiya

Just to let you all know I've finally found all the supplements recommended by Atkins in SA. Took me 6 weeks research to find them all. I have bought all of the recommended ones (including L-carnitine) and broke a stall. The companies I order from also deliver countrywide. If you would like more info, please pm me
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-06, 10:07

Stats: 132/129.8/110 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Anyone out there

Hi guys... i jus started atkins last week and i was so glad to have found this forum - but it seems you've all gone...
please get in touch - i can see how something like this can be helpful and supporting ...
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Nov-30-06, 12:22
RedBlob

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Also in South Africa. I'd love some of those nice overseas goodies too. If anyone knows where I can buy them, I'm there.

Be careful about biltong. I spoke with a producer who told me they use SUGAR to process it!
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Dec-08-06, 06:17
RedBlob

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Come back people!!

I finally found a place to order coconut oil, so I thought I'd share it. It's here:

http://www.organicsonline.co.za

They deliver in Cape Town on Wednesdays; otherwise they'll ship it to you. The only downside is its a little bit expensive.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 01:09

Plan: Atikins
Stats: 227/214/154 Female 1,70cm
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi terrible about the biltong cos I just about live on the stuff. Everyone I know who has done atkins has done brilliantly except me. I mean it is great to eat all those naughty foods and not put on weight but I havent lost really anything. Not sure why?? maybe I need to eat less calories too?not sure? some days it is really depressing but at least I am not a carbo addict anymore.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 01:24
RedBlob

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Hi Kirsty! I'm also in the Cape (Western Cape). I'd love to be support buddies with you, since I don't know any other nearby Atkids.

I also have high metabolic resistance. My calorie intake is between 1800-2300 per day (average usually 2050).
  #44   ^
Old Mon, Dec-11-06, 01:28
RedBlob

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

BTW girls, where is the link to this online shop? I would certainly buy there!!!
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Dec-14-06, 08:22

Stats: 132/129.8/110 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 10%

wow finally some people...howzit girls...
i have a confession to make - I failed - I cracked on a piece of lemon meringue ... whats a girl to do?
So now Im starting again - 1 wek till christmas..prob not the best time to start - but i need to do this now or never... putting it off is easy.. starting is the hard part for me...
I guess the good thing is that now im in Zambia for the holidays and there are not as many yummy temptations...

Glad you guys are there for some support though