Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Everywhere
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 14:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/140/120 Female 164 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi again stylus,

it's good to know that we are close inweight now.
Here i Egypt most doctors are against this diet as well, even if they sometimes recommend somethin that looks like it, they recommend lots of fruits and veggies with some brad as well.

I don't really disscuss my diet with people around I just say I'm dieting if they asked about my weight.
I have another problem, thatis the meat is expensive, I mostly eat chickens, eggs, cheese...
Hear from you soon,
Hanan
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 13:21

Stats: 189/137/130 Female 66.8 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

Hi Hanan

Meat is also very expensive here, as well as fish and chicken. It's hard sometimes to get enough protein so I eat a lot of eggs too.

I have always loved vegetables but for the past couple of months I'm starting to get really bored with them. Perhaps we can swap some recipes and ideas to make our daily menus a bit more interesting?
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 04:28

Plan: Atkins- whole foods only!
Stats: 240/240/155 Female 1.74m
BF:56%/56%/25%
Progress: 0%
Talking

Hi everyone

Sooooo happy to find other Saffers on these boards!! I'm from Morningside (Sandton).

I have started Atkins on Monday (16 Jan) and have already lost 2.5kg! I know it's probably water but that's quite OK with me.

I have two questions:

1. I do all my food shopping at Woolies and they have labels (Nutritional Info) on everything. However, their carb content often differs from the carb content listed on the Atkins Carb Counter. I'll list one example (but there are many):

Atkins says cheddar cheese = 0.2g carb per 30g
Woolworths = 0.1g carb per 100g

It's so confusing but since I really trust Woolies I'm following their counters. I'm also thinking there could be a possibility that food items in the US are not necessarily the same as food items in SA. Another one: salmon. Atkins says 0g and Woolies says 0.1g. Even though there are no added ingredients.

2. Does anyone know where I can buy Atkins supplements? I need to get hold of those asap. I have found several online shops/pharmacies that stock Atkins supplements but nooooone delivers to this 3rd world country at the bottom of Africa

Lekker dag!

x
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 12:25

BF:

Welcome Safferbabe to this thread!

Congrats on your loss so far - how are you feeling? Some people do get the "Atkins flu" during induction but it will go away - if this is the first time you are low carbing, this way of life can be a shock to the system! It takes a few days for your body to become a fat burning machine, and for the cravings to go, but I promise you if you stick it out for the first two weeks, it does get easier.

I really don't think I could have come this far (18 kg in 9 months) without the support of this board, so if you have any questions, don't be afraid to seek the advice of others here. And read as much as you can from other people's experiences, as this is how I learned an enormous amount.

As far as the difference between Woolies and the Atkins Counter goes:

Personally I'm rather inclined to lean towards the Atkins numbers because this WOE has really worked for me. Especially the info woolies has provided re the salmon. If there are no added ingredients I can't understand how there can be any carbs in fish!

A really great online daily diet counter is Fitday.com . I used this in the beginning and it's free. You can easily track your carbs this way, but don't forget to subtract the fibre from the veggies. You can create your own favourite foods this way and it really makes life easier. Another software programme you can buy is Diet Power which I use when I'm not online.

As far as the supplements for, do you mean things like Atkins bake mix and low carb shakes and bars? If so then I have no idea where you could get them but I hope if you find out, you will let me know. I wish we had those yummy Da Vinci syrups here too. By the way some people on this board are having Lindt 85% chocolate as a treat occasionally - one square is apparently only 1 - 2 carbs! If you come across that, please let me know where to find it!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 01:23

Talking

Hi Stylus

Thank you so much for your reply

Thanks for the additional info too. I have decided to believe the one with the highest amount. That way I can only win (or "lose more", as the case may be ).

I'm on my 4th day now and so far I've had no cravings whatsoever. Very happy about that I found your comment about the "Atkins flu" quite interesting as since last night I've had a sore throat. I'll just stick it out knowing now that it will eventually go away

As for the supplements, I was referring to the vitamins and minerals he's recommending in his book, e.g. chromium etc. Not the snacks or shakes as I believe these things have hidden carbs and with over a 100 pounds to lose I'm not taking any risks I want to start taking the supplements asap as I've really cut down the veggies to almost nothing

And yes, I agree with you, these boards are fantastic

Have a wonderful day!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-06, 13:44

BF:

Hi Safferbabe

Sorry to hear about the sore throat - I really hope it is the Atkins Flu and not a the real thing! (Keeping fingers crossed!)

You are doing so well - I still had cravings after the first week for sweet stuff so I made up Dinah's Sugar Free Jelly (You can get it at Pick and Pay) and had that at night if I had a munchie attack, (which is when I used to get them).

A general rule I believe, is that you lose 10% of the total amount you need to lose in the first two weeks. I lost about 5 pounds only but then I had 50 - 60 pounds to lose altogether. So if you lose about 10 pounds, that is really great! You may lose even more, if you are younger!

As far as the vitamins and minerals, how about a really good health store?

What are you taking at the moment? I take a Multivitamin, Flax Seed oil caps,
1000iu of Vitamin D, Calcium, Magnesium and Iron.

Initially I was anaemic and was suffering a lot from extreme fatigue. The iron tabs sorted me out, and I've been fine for a long time. But just recently I've been suffering from low-blood pressure a lot (you know, you black out when standing up too quickly). I suppose I should be grateful that it's not high blood pressure! But I am wondering if it's the anaemia that's back, as I believe that's one of the symptoms, so am taking the Iron again.

Take care
Karen
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 11:39

Stats: 242/242/165
BF:

Hi Stylus & Tims Mom

Im from Midrand South Africa

How do I get in touch, I dont think this system allows one to put your email address or telephone number

My info is on www.timeless.co.za

JayCee
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 23:56

Plan: Atikins
Stats: 227/214/154 Female 1,70cm
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default From Cape Town

Hi I'm kirsty. Great to find someone else thinking in Kgs. I have been on Atkins for ages. Some great things have happened I have stopped binge eating completely. Stopped craving pizza everytime things go wrong. But the problem is I have been on Atkins since about July last year and I have only lost about 8kgs. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Anyway I keep going.. because i feel that at long last I have put food in its right place. I started off at 103kg and now I'm 95 kg but I should be 60 so I have a long way to go. I find it easy to eat low carb but do get a bit bored.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-06, 12:30

BF:

Hi Kirsty

Welcome to this thread - great to hear that more S'Africans are getting into Atkins. I'm sorry to hear that you have only experienced an 8 kilo loss so far after being on this plan since July.

But it's great that you have controlled your binges through Atkins. I love the fact that I'm not hungry anymore right after eating a big meal (which was high in carbs of course) and I have controlled my chocolate addiction.

Kirsty, if you like you can post your menu's here or in my journal and I can see what you are eating; perhaps we can figure out what the prob is. Plus we can share recipes with South African ingredients and tips.

You might try and see if cutting down on calories has some effect on your weight loss. It did for me - things really started improving once I cut back. I am a slow loser though and have only lost about 20kgs after doing this for a year.

Anyway hope to hear from you soon
Karen
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 02:40

BF:

thanks for your info. I don't really have a menu as such. I try to buy low carb stuff and then just open the fridge and see what is there. But I will definately try and go more low calorie because sometimes I must eat load. What is the situation regarding Canderal Chocolate? Everyso often I have about 4 squares when I am craving something sweet. thanks so much for your reply it's kinda nice to know there is someone else out there. I would be delighted with a 20kg loss in a year. Well done.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 02:40

BF:
Talking thanks for being there

thanks for your info. I don't really have a menu as such. I try to buy low carb stuff and then just open the fridge and see what is there. But I will definately try and go more low calorie because sometimes I must eat load. What is the situation regarding Canderal Chocolate? Everyso often I have about 4 squares when I am craving something sweet. thanks so much for your reply it's kinda nice to know there is someone else out there. I would be delighted with a 20kg loss in a year. Well done.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-06, 04:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylus
You might try and see if cutting down on calories has some effect on your weight loss. It did for me - things really started improving once I cut back. I am a slow loser though and have only lost about 20kgs after doing this for a year.

Hi there fellow South African folk

Stylus, could your slower (relatively speaking) weight loss be due to the fact that you were never seriously obese? I have lost 22lbs in one month but I know it's due to me being seriously obese I have updated my journal and would love for you to comment on what I'm eating. I'm concerned that I might be eating too much I know that wouldn't be such a huge problem right now, but realise it could become one as time goes by. My focus now is to get used to this healthy WOE and to control cravings and hunger. So far it's been working and I'm extremely happy

Lekker dag
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Feb-14-06, 16:25

BF:

Firstly, Kirsty if you have a copy of an Atkins book, he does say that you shouldn't eat more than 6 -7 ounces (170 to 200g)of protein at one sitting, or 3- 4 ounces (90 - 120g) of cheese in one day. He says you can eat liberally of good fats and as long as you are tracking your carb intake you should be eating all the right stuff. Apparently excess protein can be converted to glucose by the liver, which will be stored as fat.

Have you tried Fitday.com? It's free and really useful for keeping track of what you are eating and will provide you with reports like what your ratio of carbs, fats and protein should look like. I try to keep my carbs at about 8%, Protein at 22% and Fat at 70%. But you don't have to be exactly rigid on those figures!! It also depends on what level of carbs you are on. I am still on 20 carbs a day as I stall when I add more. If you are on a higher level you should have less fat.

Quote:
What is the situation regarding Canderal Chocolate? Every so often I have about 4 squares when I am craving something sweet

Over Xmas I had some Canderel Chocolate and didn't gain at all, but last week I had some on my birthday (had to treat myself with something!!) and my rate of weight los has slowed down, so won't be having any for a while. Just be careful to read the back of the wrappers as different flavours have different carb counts. Also I believe that sugar alcohols can cause diarrohea (sp??), but it hasn't affected me.

Have you tried having some strawberries, blueberries or raspberries with cream when you really feel like something sweet? The blueberries are a bit higher in carbs but you could make a delicious icecream with the strawberries (I have the recipe if you would like it!)

Safferbabe - great to hear from you! Congratulations!! I have answered your question in your journal - hope to see you in mine too.

Take care allxx
Karen
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 11:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamina
Hi Stylus & Tims Mom

Im from Midrand South Africa

How do I get in touch, I dont think this system allows one to put your email address or telephone number

My info is on www.timeless.co.za

JayCee

Hi there JayCee

Is your email address the "info" one? Would love to get in touch as Midrand is just around the corner

#30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 11:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsty Mac
Hi I'm kirsty. Great to find someone else thinking in Kgs. I have been on Atkins for ages. Some great things have happened I have stopped binge eating completely. Stopped craving pizza everytime things go wrong. But the problem is I have been on Atkins since about July last year and I have only lost about 8kgs. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Anyway I keep going.. because i feel that at long last I have put food in its right place. I started off at 103kg and now I'm 95 kg but I should be 60 so I have a long way to go. I find it easy to eat low carb but do get a bit bored.

Hi Kirsty

Congrats on your loss so far I have had the same brilliant things happen to me. No cravings, no binge eating etc.

Why don't you post a journal so that we could see your daily menus to offer advice/suggestions? I find it so helpful as sometimes I'm a bit unsure about what's right and what's not

I have spotted quite a few posts of people giving warnings re "frankenfoods". A lot say it either stalls them or the loss is incredibly slow. The Canderel chocolate would be a good example of a frankenfood. I'm staying away from those completely as I've got a lot of weight to lose and I wish to take the quickest route possible