Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-25-02, 20:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default snack

Slim Jims and Mozzerella cheese sticks. you can by them in separate servings and they are ready to eat.

celery or green pepper with cream cheese

lunchable..toss the crackers

a low carb tortilla (la tortilla factory) rolled around any meat, cheese, or salad fixings. or spread them with cream cheese, a slice of ham, one of turkey, one of cheese, a touch of lettuce and roll up, cut into rings.

then you can sit there all smug and enjoy your snack and watch your buddies snarf that nasty starch.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 11:07

Plan: none
Stats: 217/206/245
BF:
Progress: -39%
Wink

Smoked deli lunch meat ( budding meat in a packege is perfect) cream cheese and 1/4 of a dill pickle all rolled up. I call these pickle roll ups. It's our family's favorite potluck thing. also what about little smokies.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 17:31
Registered Member

BF:
Default more snackin'

Try cutting the end off a medium cuke, scoop out the innards to make a tunnel almost all the way through, then pack that tunnel with tuna salad, or egg salad, peel the cuke and slice into rings. serve on very thin slices of sharp cheddar. or parmesan crackers. you can do this with the big dills too.
Jane
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 19:58
Pending Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 208/192/135
BF:
Progress: 22%
Thumbs up snack

Someone mentioned Salami with cream cheese. Ham is great wrapped with cream cheese too! A piece of ham with cream cheese, then rolled around a pickle (dills are 1 carb a piece) stick in a few tooth picks and cut into bit size the pieces. The pickle is great on the tast buds. Try it!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 17:32
Registered Member

BF:
Default soy nuts

I found roasted and seasoned soy nuts in the HFS. not too bad and minus the fiber very carb efficient. I have trouble eating too many snacks. I swear I would eat clods of dirt, if it were in bite size pieces, and suggestions on how to manage portions?
thanks
Jane
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 12:33

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 128/124/115
BF:
Progress: 31%

Pork rinds work for me......i bag them and keep them in my purse........car. I also keep a low carb dip and eat them while watching tv. I have hot and mild. I crumble the pork rinds up and put it in salads for croutons. There are alot of things you can do. I also crumble them up and put pasta sauce over it with some veggies.....I use Adkin's Ketchup and add spenda to sweeten it a bit more for the sauce. It tastes great. I love cheese and meet snacks also. I have tried different kinds of cheeses. I love the hot wings for a snack...they are great.....i make my own hot sauce. I drink plenty of water........after awhile..i don't really need a snack......you will find the same thing. I am going into week 2 and lost 7 lbs already......wow........everyone notices. My goal is 15 lbs. Good luck..... SueH
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 16:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/181/160
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default snacks

you can also snack on celery and cheese or cream cheese,mixed salad with shredded cheese and your favorite dressing, you could also had bits of ham to the salad.
maria
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 07:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 179.6/179.6/144 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Yum

-thinly sliced beef with cream cheese (garlic flavour) and chives warmed in micro a bit
-celery with cheddar down the middle and a dill pickle
-beef broth with grated mozzeralla in the bottom
-corn beef with cheese melted over it with ice tea
-lettuce leaf with salad in it, tuna,egg
-chicken warmed with tangy sour cream to dip it into
- cheese chips (micro grated cheese for two minutes and remove from the plate before it hardens) with sour cream and a little spicy salsa
and last but not least-chicken wings (watch the carb count of the sauce) and sour cream for dipping.
Food, yes I definitely love food.
Yours Truely Jo-Ann
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 07:56

Plan: my own
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 34%
Post favourite snacks

- Korean nori (flavoured with sesame oil and salt)
- almonds, walnuts
- sugar-free peanut butter
- small bits of cheese, usually havarti, swiss, or mozzerella
- green tea, Mu tea, bancha tea
- baba gaoush with crudites
- fruit... 3 apricots are a LC serving!
- [and the apparent fav of many] ham with cream cheese
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 11:25

Plan: carbohydrate addict
Stats: 125/115/115
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Mozzarella stix

I used to LOVE fried Mozzarella stix, but they are coated with breadcrumbs or flour.
Anyone know a substitute coating I could use?
I was thinking of crumbled bacon over an egg dip...haven't tried it though.
Trudy
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 00:26
Registered Member

Stats: 145/116/115
BF:
Progress: 97%
Post Cheese Stix

Re: Mozzarella stix

How about using crumbled pork rinds to coat them with?

I like to to spread cream cheese on slices of ham with a green onion (long ways). Then roll up, slice into rounds, and we call them belly buttons.

When I'm feeling decadent I go for smoked salmon, cream cheese, red onion, and capers.

Angelfish
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 07:33

BF:
Talking Cheese Sticks

I've heard a couple of ideas for coatings for these. You can use a egg wash and then into crumpled pork rinds like angelfish suggested. I've also heard of grinding up cooked chicken into a paste with a little egg and then wetting your fingers and pressing it onto the cheese (the author said it was very meesy but made a wonderful coating) chill in the fridge to make coating stick better then fry lightly.
Have you tried the cheese taco idea, you grate cheese into a frying pan and cook it til it is like a taco and then take it out of the pan and lay it over a rolling pin (do people still use these things, I have one that someone gave me for a wedding 12 years ago). Then you can fill it with your low carb goodies. Yes it is messy, but it is really a nice change from eggs.
Yours Truely Jo-Ann
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 09:15
Registered Member

Stats: 265/210/205
BF:
Progress: 92%
Unhappy help with the cheese taco please

I tried to do the cheese taco in a frying pan thing but ended up with burnt cheese

what am i missing??

thanks
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 10:56

BF:
Default Sorry

Cheese has alot of fat in it so yes it does burn nicely.
I use a small frying pan, med - low heat . The oil will start to leave the cheese then before it browns but after it looks like cheece whiz remove the pan from the stove and slide it out. This may take a few tries to get perfect because every cheese has a different fat content and every stove heats differently.
Cheese chips are less likely to fail. Grate the cheese onto a plate or cut slices into flat squares and micro wave for 2 minutes on high (watch them, they should not be dark brown, but the outer edges change colour) then remove from the plate before they set. These are great with sour cream and a little salsa.
So sorry the first attempt was not a success, but once you get the recipe right it makes a sinfully legal snack.
Yours Truely Jo-Ann
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 11:25

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%
Smile Drooling...

I'm drooling reading these posts...

...can't wait to try my hand at coated cheese sticks. I run a bunch of pork rinds through the food processor all at once and keep them airtight in the fridge. Saves so much time later when using them for coating.

Thanks for the ideas!

Donald