Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 11:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/200/120 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Need something to replace Nicorettes

I'm not sure if I can make it. I haven't had a cigarette since January 3rd and have been taking Nicorette but now I've run out of them so I'm thinking of going cold turkey. I still have the urge for a cigarette or let me put it this way. I'm not sure if I can make it without Nicorettes. I'm thinking that I may be replacing one addiction for another. I want to replace Nicorettes with gum but when I went shopping, the gums don't have any carb counts of them so I hesitated to buy any. Any suggestions? How about Trident? I think that is supposed to be sugar-free. Help. I don't want to smoke again and I don't want to fluctuate from Atkins' program.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 14:01

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 260/242/170 Female 68 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 20%
Default going cold turkey

i quit feb 6. had nicoderm patches so tried 1 .did not use another until i hqd really bad craving. so far have used 2 patches only. when i do crave i just chalk it up to feeling anxious or jittery and leave it at that. Same with craving hc foods i just think....man i really would like-------- and then i dont have it from what i understand from talking to long term quitters 3 months to five years you are always gonna at some time or other crave a cig so might as well get used to the feeling and learn to deal with it. The knowledge that i will feel like this for the long term really helps me not look for short term shortcuts.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-04-05, 16:50

Stats: 142/134/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 36%

I'm only quit 3 days now and have cheated a little, but I'm determined to figure it out this time and quit for good. One thing I've already noticed is that during times that I normally have a cigarette (after eating, while driving, while getting ready for work in the morning, etc.) I make sure that I have a bottle of water, cup of green tea, or anything to drink so that when the craving hits, I drink something and it goes away. I think the hand to mouth thing and habit is what it is for me. Hope that helps.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 07:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/135/125 Female 5 ft 5
BF:way too much
Progress: 68%
Default its tough

I quit January 8th this year...and I smoked a lot. Its really tough...but the cravings are very minimal now.
As Jamiejo said, water and green tea really helps. Changing your routine helps, and having a ziploc bag of celery in the car was a God send for me while driving.
Its a mindset. Keep thinking about how much healthier you will feel ( I have taken up running now , where as before I couldnt) how proud of yourself you will be, living longer, smelling better etc.

On the bright side...I started exercising the same day I quit( and lcing) so I have lost weight, not gained ! It can be done !

This will be the toughest thing you will ever do, but you can do it !
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-05, 21:43

BF:

It definitely is the toughest thing I've ever done. I haven't smoked since January 3rd and today when my husband said he craved for a cigarette, I also all of a sudden craved for one. I really wanted one but either one of us wanted to go to the store in the cold to get a package. At that time, I wished I had some nicorettes to help me with this urge. And then next thing you know, we just forgot about it. I hope we can always fight off this urge. Do you think it's a good idea to have a box of nicorettes in case I just can't fight off the urge? Somehow, I feel I might feel more secure if I had a package just in case. What if we get company and they're smokers? Without the nicorettes, I'm not sure I can do it, especially if my husband can't fight the temptation either. I have to admit that it's easier for me to stick to the Atkins' diet than to try to quit smoking.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-10-05, 13:00

Default smokining visitors-not

Since you and hubby are non-smokers, you have every right to make your home a non-smoking zone (mine was even when i smoked). It wont be the first or last time your smoking visitors are asked to take it outside (of course if they REALLY cared, they would not even bring up the subject of smoking to you or hubby). You're not hoping for smoking vistors so you can filch cigs are you?
Now for me have been able to ignore smoke cravings more than hc food cravings !
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 07:31

as a ex smoker, i feel you should use any method that will work for YOU. If having nicorette on hand makes you able to face your cravings and get past them then by all means use it. Good Luck to you from one non-smoker to another
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-05, 08:10

Plan: Atkins~Modified
Stats: 173/173/145 Female 5' 6" and growing!
BF:26.6%/
Default Larlee

Good for you! I admire anyone who quits smoking! I just can not seem to put the stupid things down, no matter how hard I try! Stick with it, you are just on the road to a healthier, healthier life! And, congratulations to all of you that have quit!
Good Luck!
Brenda
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-12-05, 17:16

I am experiencing a major cig craving wondering now if it is connected to my ice cream binge. like i messed up on 1 plan so why not trash em both and start over? NOT! if im not sucessful on both then i will try to be on at least 1 so no smoking it is. Still finding it harder to avoid hc foods that cigs
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-13-05, 21:22

BF:

Hi everyone: Boy did I find it hard today on both counts. I didn't smoke but the craving was intense. I wonder if it's because I'm shack happy. Today, I was craving high carbs but I didn't give in. Well, I lie. I had a few of the low-carb crackers with just a bit of cream cheese. All day, I was craving cereal, milk, and fruits. I haven't had any of those since January 3rd. I've been thinking all day that maybe I should quit the Atkins' diet. I truly am missing my cereals and my fruits. I didn't give in but hopefully tomorrow I won't feel the same way. I've lost almost 15 pounds since January 3rd and I haven't smoked one darn cigarette. Maybe it's too much to get rid of two addictions. If you had to choose, which would you rather give up?

I have a picture of myself on the fridge when I weighed 100 pounds. I better start looking at it more often and I better put up big posters on my fridge door reminding me that we have a wedding to go to at the end of July. I can't give up now.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-14-05, 13:13

Hang in ther larlee. Once you are done with induction you may have berries and there are low carb cereal recipes and low carb cereals in the stores and with carb countdown milk you will be good to go. If you like sf jello that calms fruit craving somewhat or how about the fruit flavored no carb waters? you can also enjoy the fruit flavoed water frozen or hot. You have more quit time in than i do . i have just passed my 1 month milestone 2-06. BUT IT SEEMS SOOO MUCH LONGER . I used a nicotine patch saturday which was my 3rd since i quit. Dont want to use them too much as they are EXPENSIVE and the whole idea is to not be nicotine addicted but im trying to remain SMOKE FREE. Good Luck to YOU
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Mar-15-05, 21:15

BF:

Thanks everyone for your support. So far, I haven't caved in. I was going to buy some nicorettes today but I decided to not have any nicotine in my system so I bought some gum instead. I even spent about 10 minutes trying to figure out what kind of gum to buy. It's ridiculous. Even though the package says SUGARLESS, when you check the ingredients, there's still something called Sorbitol, Maltilol, or something like that, and from what I'm been reading on this site, it's not a good thing to use on a regular basis. But I had no choice. It was either sugarless gum or Nicorettes, or smoke. Even the sugarless gum had about 1 or less than 1 grams of carbs. How can there be 1 gram in such a little thing? I'll just have to not overindulge.

Does anybody have any suggestions on a gum that is both sugarless and low in carbs?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 06:44
Registered Member

Stats: 128/123/110 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Hi larlee,
Boy, can I relate to just about everything you've said so far!
I've tried Nicorette a number of times in past quits and I had the same problem - it was like I was addicted to the gum! Also, my husband still smokes but, fortunately, there's never been smoking IN our house. Honestly though, the only difference this time for me is that I've truly made the decision in my MIND that I want to be a non-smoker more than I want to continue to smoke. Once you've made that decision, then when you have a crave, you recognize it for what it is and wait for it to pass. I had to accept the fact that I am a nicotene ADDICT, I'm not a social smoker. If I have one single puff, I'll want another and another...etc.. So, every day I promise myself I won't smoke. I also visit Quitnet - have you been there? It's VERY helpful.
Keep strong and try to keep your "eyes on the prize", freedom from those stinky little death sticks at last!
Alley
21 Days and getting stronger every day
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 10:20
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 170/164/140 Female 5'5"
BF:

I read an article some time back about the unacknowledged use of the patch and gum, which was nicotine maintenence. I think I would have to agree with this, as my brother has now been chewing Nicorette for about five years.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-05, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 173/166/150 Female 5ft 9.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default hi alley cat

I think we are in the same club on q-net--atkins diet. your quit is looking great!

missbit-108 days and feeling good.