Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-23-05, 06:00

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Curried Turkey ‘Shepherds Pie’

This recipe was inspired by several recipes in Karen's The Low Carb Gourmet (you'll probably be able to spot which one's if you own the book ) and what ingredients I had available at the time.

Curried Turkey ‘Shepherds Pie’

Serves 2-3 – 5g carbs per serving*

400g/12 oz Turkey Mince (approx 1.5 cups)
4 medium mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp Carb Options Tomato Ketchup
1 tsp garlic granules
2 tsp curry powder
400g/12 oz cauliflower (approx 1.5 cups)
50g/2 oz cream cheese (approx 1/4 cup)
50g/2 oz grated cheese (approx 1/4 cup)

Pre-heat the oven to 375°F/190°C/Gas 5.

Brown the mince, and then add the garlic granules, curry powder and ketchup, stirring well. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. This mixture will be quite dry, so keep an eye on it. If you prefer, you can add some boiling water to make it 'runnier'.

Put the cauliflower in a pan of boiling water and cook until soft. Drain well and then mash, add the cream cheese and mix thoroughly.

Put the mince mixture in an oven-proof dish, spoon the cauliflower mash over the top, and then sprinkle over the grated cheese. Place in the oven and cook for approximately 25 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling.

FitDay Totals for the whole pie:
Total Cals: 1000
Fat: 64g
Carbs: 15g
Fibre: 5g
Protein 94g
Net carbs 10g

* Per very generous serving, i.e per serving for 2 people:
500 cals
32g fat
5g net carbs
47g protein

* Per serving for 3 people:
333 cals
21.3g fat
3.33g net carbs
31.3g protein
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 11:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/125 Female 5'5"
BF:44/44/20
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up

wanted to bump for newbies...

I just tried this receipe on the weekend and this was quite tasty! I used beef instead of turkey and it came out quite moist! Thank you for the inspiration Demi!

~Patricia
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 12:35

BF:

Have updated the original recipe several times now, and this is my current version:

Demi's Super-improved Curried Turkey Shepherd's Pie

Serves 6

1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
2lb ground turkey (or beef)
6 tbsp tomato purée
2 tbsp curry powder
1 large cauliflower
8 oz savoy cabbage or kale (finely chopped)
4 spring onions
2oz/50g cream cheese
Large knob of butter

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a high heat, add the onion and garlic and fry until softened and pale golden-brown. Add the ground turkey and fry, stirring continuously, until golden-brown. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the tomato purée and curry powder until well combined. Cook for 18-20 minutes, or until most of the liquid has boiled away. Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish and set aside. Put the cauliflower (whole or divided into florets) in a saucepan, pour over boiling water, cover and then simmer until tender. Drain well, mash, and put to one side. In the meantime, finely chop the savoy cabbage/kale and spring onions, then lightly saute in the butter for several minutes. Add to the mashed cauliflower, adding the cream cheese and then mix thoroughly. Place the turkey mixture into a large ovenproof baking dish or individual ovenproof baking dishes and then top with the cauliflower mash, completely covering the filling. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes, until the mashed cauliflower topping is golden-brown and crisp and the filling is bubbling up.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-14-10, 13:24
Registered Member

Plan: Please advise fast w.loss
Stats: 297/280/16 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Demi another great recipe, I used organic lamb mince, also sliced up half a leek, forgot the cabbage and absolutely handsome.

I continue to follow your recipes.

Thanks again
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-16-10, 06:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie207
Demi another great recipe, I used organic lamb mince, also sliced up half a leek, forgot the cabbage and absolutely handsome.

I continue to follow your recipes.

Thanks again
You're welcome!