Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#31   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 14:18

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 280/265/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I got this from another forum on another website.

The basics of the Experiment and Kimmer’s Experience

The purpose of the "experiment" is to show how 'real' ketosis feels ... no appetite, excellent weight loss. That the carbs are very, very low or 0 is key. This is what Dr. A was talking about in Induction! When we severely restrict carbs, our bodies (who DON'T want to use body fat for energy!), will go to the glycogen in our livers. When that's used up (3 days roughly), it's like a flood gate is opened and our bodies give up a lot of extra water ... that's the 3-7 pounds people lose in the first few days.

Actually I did Stillman's for 3 days to get into ketosis ASAP (I am deathly afraid of being hungry!) The difference between this "experiment" and Stillman's is picking any protein you like ... Stillman's is "lean" only. Then I moved onto Atkins Induction and stayed for 6 months (<20 carbs, no 'treats') and with zero appetitite, I was fine eating relatively few calories.

However, if I were going to do it today, I would have stayed on Stillman's the whole time ... easier, less cooking/shopping, faster. The quantities of veggies I was eating wasn't enough to seriously contribute nutritionally ... IMO, of course. The downside for many would be boredom, but I'm not bored at all losing 4-7 pounds a week!

Kimkins is what someone termed how I lost my weight ... my version of Atkins:
· <20 carbs (no fiber subtraction)
· 70-90 gm protein,
· just enough fat to make your menus work
absolutely no LC treats!

Some people have never experienced what I term 'real' ketosis with the strong appetite suppression (OK, nausea) and very rapid weight loss. This is a chance to see what it's like.

Warning - not everyone likes the feeling, even if you're losing faster than scientifically possible (per the 3500 calorie deficit = equals 1 pound theory).

I lost 160 pounds in 7 months, then took 3 months to do the last 20. Over the past 3 years I've lost a few more to equal 200 lbs total.

The idea of the 3 day experiment is to show what 'real' ketosis feels like. Keep in mind that if someone is carbed-up (especially if they do it on purpose), they may need 5 days to get rid of the excess glycogen in their liver.

After you're in ketosis, GRADUALLY slip into the LC program of your choice. Naturally, the fewer carbs the better the loss. Lower calorie choices will provide faster loss than higher calories.

BUT ... you want to make it livable for your lifetime. Any of us can fall back on pure protein to make up for a lax weekend. You're harming your body when you assault it with sugar (carbs) ... which, chances are, aren't coming from nutritious, high antioxidant sources ... more like good 'ol comfort food.

for the 3-5 days, skip the extra fats (cheeses). When you begin switching to a LC plan, watch the cheese as the calories really add up q
Yeah, dairy sounds innocent but the choices on LC are essentially fats with double the calories of protein or carbs. I love cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, heavy cream and butter as much as the next person, but at 100 calories per miniscule serving ...

Keep in mind that calories count, not just carbs. It's possible to eat only 17 carbs if you ate 3 cups of mayonnaise (ewwww!) But check out that 5000 calorie count!

And that wouldn't even include the protein you'd eat throughout the day (not that you'd want to eat anything after downing a glass of mayo, LOL!) uick!
Eat as much as you like, drink as much as you like and absolutely use protein as a snack! I like steak chunks, tuna salad or fresh hard boiled eggs (don't like 'em cold ...) They have .6 per large egg. Eggs are actually two thirds fat!

During my weight loss phase I counted every carb ... eggs, coffee, tea, diet soda, cheese ... all the "little" ones because they sure add up fast!

For purposes of this experiment, skip the .6 carb count.

What to Expect

People who are on Day 3 and haven't lost, you may be the few that need to go 5 days to deplete your glycogen (think back to what you ate before you started the 3 Day). The weight loss will come, and impressively.

Other 'slow' losers, wait one more day, when you see the big WHOOSH (like others have posted), then you know the glycogen is gone. And we should keep in mind digestive issues ...

Ahhhh, that's the thing! If you were at 20-30 carbs, then give it 1-2 more days. When you see the 2 lb WHOOSH, you're on your way! Interesting trivia is that on this BB, the largest percentage of people who 'stall' after Induction are at 25-30 carbs. You will lose even more if you're exercising (you'll also achieve ketosis faster because your body is yanking the glycogen out of your liver!) It's a good thing!

Using the Experiment as a benchmark

Reminder ... weigh yourself on Day 2. If you've lost more than 3-5 pounds, you were over on carbs before. Keep in mind that if you lost 3+ pounds in the 3 days, you were over on carbs before ... something to keep in mind when picking carb choices!

Note to the 'hungry' folks. This is a sure sign that you were over on carbs before. Everyone keep in mind that your body DOES NOT want to convert to body fat for fuel! Your body always wants to take the easy route, which is sugar (carbs). This is why when people first do Induction (or this 3 day thing), they feel tired, cranky, have cravings ... their brain is sending a HARD message that it wants fuel, NOW. Those who stick with Induction without caving in are rewarded with ketosis, weight loss and reduced appetite ... their bodies have SUCCESSFULLY converted to burning body fat! Now, those folks who 'relax' on weekends send their bodies back to Square 1 and cravings. These are also the people who 'feel better' after eating carbs and mistakenly think their bodies 'need them'. Wrong. Their bodies wanted sugar and they obliged ... vicious cycle.

That you're still hungry on Day 3 would tell me that you were "over" on carbs before you started and your body is still processing them. Your glycogen isn't depleted yet. Wait 2 more days, check your loss and wait for the appetite suppression.

How much to eat

Don't eat until you get hungry (mildly hungry, don't wait until you're starving!) Don't count calories, don't cut back on quantities ... EAT if you're hungry

I got 2 PMs from people who are "hungry". EAT!!! Snack on more HB eggs, make an omelette, fry up a steak, throw some chickie pieces on your Foreman grill ... eat! The appetite suppression is coming, honest!

Don't cave in with a "taste" of carbs. You'll be back at square 1. Again.

Don't worry about the protein/glucose conversion. Want proof? Look at how much you'll lose in 3 days. . if you're hungry, eat! Just avoid ANY and all CARBS!

no cheese! Protein only!

Liquids

Drink what your body tells you. I find that I'm more thirsty in ketosis (and I've noticed others posting the same on this BB).

Don't force liquids, drink what you need. If you're keeping with ONLY protein & NO carbs, yes, drink diet soda until your eyes fall out of their sockets.

Foods to eat and foods to avoid

Eat eggs until they ban you from the store, LOL! Eggs are an incredible, edible food! Your "pizza" is perfectly fine. Watch for an appetite change when you wake up tomorrow ... remember, no carbs! If you can, skip the mustard and soy sauce for now. If you can't, use the least amount possible. I'd avoid the pork rinds, they're very high calories and you can snack away more than you intended, LOL!

Don't worry about the carbs in the eggs ... those are the 'innocent' ones that come naturally with protein.

Yes, use the fat you normally use for cooking. I wouldn't suggest "extra" fats as in whipped cream or cream cheese because they tend to end up as high calorie desserts ... appetite or not!

Ketosis and the Sticks

Hey, don't rely on the sticks to tell you if you're in ketosis (stick addicts won't be able to help themselves, LOL!)

Check your scales! If you've lost weight (and I'm thinking 4-5 pounds or more ... yes, water weight, but who cares!) ... you're in ketosis!

Bathroom issues

don't like the side effects of laxatives (cramping, working "too well" if you know what I mean, LOL) and I've found that milk thistle has an excellent laxative effect ... perfect, actually.

I take milk thistle as a spectacular liver protector! In European hospitals, the ERs administer milk thistle for those who have eaten poisonous mushrooms (apparently it's a fairly common situation). I would imagine they use huge doses, but the point is that the people don't die. Milk thistle actually helps repair liver tissue! I buy a big 180 capsule bottle at Wal Mart for $14 and I take 4 a day (2 & 2). Do a web search for info (and no toxicity!)

What to do after the Experiment

After the 3 days, you can either stay on protein ... or transition to Atkins Induction (or whatever program you're following).

You need to keep your carbs very low after the 3 days or you'll get out of ketosis!

From a health standpoint, you would be OK as long as you take supplements to compensate for the veggies/fruits you aren't eating ... ditto on straight Atkins or Stillman's.

You want to begin adding veggies when you're within 20 pounds of goal so you can practice making food choices and not be overwhelmed

After the 3 days you can decide what you want to do:

1) Continue on protein & naturally occurring fats until close to goal

2) Begin adding SMALL servings of very low carb veggies

3) Go to Atkins Induction (but depending on your definition of "Induction", this can backfire!)

Yes, more than 3 days is fine. Be sure to take a Centrum type vitamin each day.

Absolutely introduce your carbs slowly when you begin. Try a SMALL salad at lunch, another at dinner type of thing. Slowly work your way up to however fast/slow you want to lose

If you keep your carbs VERY VERY low, you'll stay in this state of "no hunger" and rapid weight loss ... if that's what you want (not everyone does!)

Going to LC treats will almost guarantee your quick departure from Ketosis Central ... something to consider.

Nothing about the "experiment" can backfire. What you're doing is keeping carbs very, very low (or non existent). For people who have a difficult time losing, Dr. Atkins advised reducing carbs to 15 or 10 ... "or for especially difficult cases, 0 carbs".

Link to Kimmer's Fitday

Hope this helps.

GQ
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 19:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 299/270/175 Female 5ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

GQueen~Thank You for your post I did this in the past din't realize thn what i was actually doing but it worked. whenlow income it's either the meat or the veggies so I could never me vegan so to the farm I went. lots of meat. and then the garden started producing great veggies and wow I liked them and never lost another pound and cunted carbs and still nothing so after repeated inductions to try all over I have still lost nothing \ so after reading another post recently I decided and started today the meat and egg fast. I hope I am on my way and thank you for giving me an idea of a time frame , that was great!!
beth
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 20:23

Stats: 315/260/170 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:48.1%/33%/25%
Progress: 38%

Well I started doing the meat/egg fast today myself. GQueen you got me motivated totally! Even I've drank my coffee black all day long...OMG that's a big move for me lol. I'm gonna stay on it til hopefully at least the weekend. I'm ready to see these numbers go DOWN! So I'll let you all know how it works out.

Amanda
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 23:43

Plan: Low carb/Keto
Stats: 335/334/200 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I think i will give it a shot.......meat and eggs...
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Feb-21-05, 23:57

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

Thank-you so much everyone....."for all of you help" I did not know about the meat and egg fast. Does this speed up induction?

thanks again, Gina
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 00:00

Plan: Low carb/Keto
Stats: 335/334/200 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 1%

Hi Gina.....

GQueen..can you e-mail me ~ joeonatkins~yahoo.com

Thanks

Joe

Last edited by bigjoe42 : Tue, Feb-22-05 at 00:11. Reason: add on
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 00:53
Under Construction

Stats: 295/253/160 Female 5foot 5 inches
BF:50.6%/44.3%/24%
Progress: 31%

So honestly, is that all you can eat is meat and eggs? Meats are ok right but with no marinades or anything like that right? Like if I made a steak it would just be a grilled steak, nothing else right, no seasonings and stuff?

I am going to do this next week, I have a friend coming to stay with me this week for a few days and while I am NOT going to break my diet I still have to have stuff for her to eat and I will have to cook...

I have been inspired as well, I gained a pound this weekend (thanks the drinking I did on Friday night) and I need to get the ball rolling again.

I will check in tomorrow and get my stuff together to do this next week. Quick menu plans if nothing else huh? I would like to do it like once every 4-6 weeks for some days....
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 00:55

Stats: 315/260/170 Female 5ft 7 inches
BF:48.1%/33%/25%
Progress: 38%

I use seasonings..just VERY minimal. Like tonight I put a tiny bit of seasoning salt and pepper on my chicken. I even use a bit of mayo or butter if needed. Just not like I normally would. Again, I don't know if there is a "proper" way to do this..I just know what works for me.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 05:43

Plan: Atkins & Weight Watchers
Stats: 321/226/180 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hey guys! Well, I'm starting the egg/meat fast today, after a 2 day binge....I won't even go there! I think my change in stats says enough, don't u think? yikes.... anyways I'm here with you guys...good luck!!!!!!!!!!
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 06:13
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

I'm going to have to try this too! I have been off program for weeks now and am heading to HongKong for 5 days this weekend. I know I won't be able to stick on program there. As soon as I return, I'm doing the fast. You guys rock for motivation. This is going to be good. I needed something to get my mind back to where it needed to be. I have no idea how much I've gained. I'll change my stats when I get on the scale the morning after I return home from my trip. This is a great thread and I hope it continues!

Thanks guys!
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 06:38

Plan: PSMF 1/1/5
Stats: 268/228/155 Male 66"
BF:48/39/12
Progress: 35%

lynnp,

When I worked out of town for a month, I took a can opener and canned meats. It was boring but it worked. I don't know though, can you take food <into> China or is it a problem taking it out?

Of course, it may look silly to pop a can 'o tuna at an exectutive luncheon
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 09:24

BF:

I can't believe it!!! I am down another 2 lbs this morning. I weigh now 263 lbs.

Yesterday hubby and I went for a nice 3 mile walk out in the desert. I was very worn out when we got home, but happy that we did it. Hubby says he does not plan on walking that far again though. It was too hard on him since he is almost 70 years old.

Last night I had a salad and some steamed cabbage with my pork roast. Today I go right back to the meat & egg fast.

bigjoe42 What is it you need? I can't PM you because you can't receive them yet. Just ask away.

Lilys-mom I use seasoning on my meat, but as little as possible. NO MARINADES !! And the eggs can only be with a bit of seasoning. I have used up to 1 tablespoon of mayo in my tuna fish, but be sure to measure it instead of guessing. And be sure to drink lots and lots of water.

This morning I am making tuna patties by mixing in 1 egg with a can of drained tuna and I am going to add 1 tablespoon of sour cream and some seasoning. You just have to watch what you eat because on this fast you are not supposed to consume more than 5 carbs total.

GQ
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 14:58

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 275/235/160 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQueen
I got this from another forum on another website.

The basics of the Experiment and Kimmer’s Experience

The purpose of the "experiment" is to show how 'real' ketosis feels ... no appetite, excellent weight loss. That the carbs are very, very low or 0 is key. This is what Dr. A was talking about in Induction! When we severely restrict carbs, our bodies (who DON'T want to use body fat for energy!), will go to the glycogen in our livers. When that's used up (3 days roughly), it's like a flood gate is opened and our bodies give up a lot of extra water ... that's the 3-7 pounds people lose in the first few days.

Actually I did Stillman's for 3 days to get into ketosis ASAP (I am deathly afraid of being hungry!) The difference between this "experiment" and Stillman's is picking any protein you like ... Stillman's is "lean" only. Then I moved onto Atkins Induction and stayed for 6 months (<20 carbs, no 'treats') and with zero appetitite, I was fine eating relatively few calories.

However, if I were going to do it today, I would have stayed on Stillman's the whole time ... easier, less cooking/shopping, faster. The quantities of veggies I was eating wasn't enough to seriously contribute nutritionally ... IMO, of course. The downside for many would be boredom, but I'm not bored at all losing 4-7 pounds a week!

Kimkins is what someone termed how I lost my weight ... my version of Atkins:
· <20 carbs (no fiber subtraction)
· 70-90 gm protein,
· just enough fat to make your menus work
absolutely no LC treats!

Some people have never experienced what I term 'real' ketosis with the strong appetite suppression (OK, nausea) and very rapid weight loss. This is a chance to see what it's like.

Warning - not everyone likes the feeling, even if you're losing faster than scientifically possible (per the 3500 calorie deficit = equals 1 pound theory).

I lost 160 pounds in 7 months, then took 3 months to do the last 20. Over the past 3 years I've lost a few more to equal 200 lbs total.

The idea of the 3 day experiment is to show what 'real' ketosis feels like. Keep in mind that if someone is carbed-up (especially if they do it on purpose), they may need 5 days to get rid of the excess glycogen in their liver.

After you're in ketosis, GRADUALLY slip into the LC program of your choice. Naturally, the fewer carbs the better the loss. Lower calorie choices will provide faster loss than higher calories.

BUT ... you want to make it livable for your lifetime. Any of us can fall back on pure protein to make up for a lax weekend. You're harming your body when you assault it with sugar (carbs) ... which, chances are, aren't coming from nutritious, high antioxidant sources ... more like good 'ol comfort food.

for the 3-5 days, skip the extra fats (cheeses). When you begin switching to a LC plan, watch the cheese as the calories really add up q
Yeah, dairy sounds innocent but the choices on LC are essentially fats with double the calories of protein or carbs. I love cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, heavy cream and butter as much as the next person, but at 100 calories per miniscule serving ...

Keep in mind that calories count, not just carbs. It's possible to eat only 17 carbs if you ate 3 cups of mayonnaise (ewwww!) But check out that 5000 calorie count!

And that wouldn't even include the protein you'd eat throughout the day (not that you'd want to eat anything after downing a glass of mayo, LOL!) uick!
Eat as much as you like, drink as much as you like and absolutely use protein as a snack! I like steak chunks, tuna salad or fresh hard boiled eggs (don't like 'em cold ...) They have .6 per large egg. Eggs are actually two thirds fat!

During my weight loss phase I counted every carb ... eggs, coffee, tea, diet soda, cheese ... all the "little" ones because they sure add up fast!

For purposes of this experiment, skip the .6 carb count.

What to Expect

People who are on Day 3 and haven't lost, you may be the few that need to go 5 days to deplete your glycogen (think back to what you ate before you started the 3 Day). The weight loss will come, and impressively.

Other 'slow' losers, wait one more day, when you see the big WHOOSH (like others have posted), then you know the glycogen is gone. And we should keep in mind digestive issues ...

Ahhhh, that's the thing! If you were at 20-30 carbs, then give it 1-2 more days. When you see the 2 lb WHOOSH, you're on your way! Interesting trivia is that on this BB, the largest percentage of people who 'stall' after Induction are at 25-30 carbs. You will lose even more if you're exercising (you'll also achieve ketosis faster because your body is yanking the glycogen out of your liver!) It's a good thing!

Using the Experiment as a benchmark

Reminder ... weigh yourself on Day 2. If you've lost more than 3-5 pounds, you were over on carbs before. Keep in mind that if you lost 3+ pounds in the 3 days, you were over on carbs before ... something to keep in mind when picking carb choices!

Note to the 'hungry' folks. This is a sure sign that you were over on carbs before. Everyone keep in mind that your body DOES NOT want to convert to body fat for fuel! Your body always wants to take the easy route, which is sugar (carbs). This is why when people first do Induction (or this 3 day thing), they feel tired, cranky, have cravings ... their brain is sending a HARD message that it wants fuel, NOW. Those who stick with Induction without caving in are rewarded with ketosis, weight loss and reduced appetite ... their bodies have SUCCESSFULLY converted to burning body fat! Now, those folks who 'relax' on weekends send their bodies back to Square 1 and cravings. These are also the people who 'feel better' after eating carbs and mistakenly think their bodies 'need them'. Wrong. Their bodies wanted sugar and they obliged ... vicious cycle.

That you're still hungry on Day 3 would tell me that you were "over" on carbs before you started and your body is still processing them. Your glycogen isn't depleted yet. Wait 2 more days, check your loss and wait for the appetite suppression.

How much to eat

Don't eat until you get hungry (mildly hungry, don't wait until you're starving!) Don't count calories, don't cut back on quantities ... EAT if you're hungry

I got 2 PMs from people who are "hungry". EAT!!! Snack on more HB eggs, make an omelette, fry up a steak, throw some chickie pieces on your Foreman grill ... eat! The appetite suppression is coming, honest!

Don't cave in with a "taste" of carbs. You'll be back at square 1. Again.

Don't worry about the protein/glucose conversion. Want proof? Look at how much you'll lose in 3 days. . if you're hungry, eat! Just avoid ANY and all CARBS!

no cheese! Protein only!

Liquids

Drink what your body tells you. I find that I'm more thirsty in ketosis (and I've noticed others posting the same on this BB).

Don't force liquids, drink what you need. If you're keeping with ONLY protein & NO carbs, yes, drink diet soda until your eyes fall out of their sockets.

Foods to eat and foods to avoid

Eat eggs until they ban you from the store, LOL! Eggs are an incredible, edible food! Your "pizza" is perfectly fine. Watch for an appetite change when you wake up tomorrow ... remember, no carbs! If you can, skip the mustard and soy sauce for now. If you can't, use the least amount possible. I'd avoid the pork rinds, they're very high calories and you can snack away more than you intended, LOL!

Don't worry about the carbs in the eggs ... those are the 'innocent' ones that come naturally with protein.

Yes, use the fat you normally use for cooking. I wouldn't suggest "extra" fats as in whipped cream or cream cheese because they tend to end up as high calorie desserts ... appetite or not!

Ketosis and the Sticks

Hey, don't rely on the sticks to tell you if you're in ketosis (stick addicts won't be able to help themselves, LOL!)

Check your scales! If you've lost weight (and I'm thinking 4-5 pounds or more ... yes, water weight, but who cares!) ... you're in ketosis!

Bathroom issues

don't like the side effects of laxatives (cramping, working "too well" if you know what I mean, LOL) and I've found that milk thistle has an excellent laxative effect ... perfect, actually.

I take milk thistle as a spectacular liver protector! In European hospitals, the ERs administer milk thistle for those who have eaten poisonous mushrooms (apparently it's a fairly common situation). I would imagine they use huge doses, but the point is that the people don't die. Milk thistle actually helps repair liver tissue! I buy a big 180 capsule bottle at Wal Mart for $14 and I take 4 a day (2 & 2). Do a web search for info (and no toxicity!)

What to do after the Experiment

After the 3 days, you can either stay on protein ... or transition to Atkins Induction (or whatever program you're following).

You need to keep your carbs very low after the 3 days or you'll get out of ketosis!

From a health standpoint, you would be OK as long as you take supplements to compensate for the veggies/fruits you aren't eating ... ditto on straight Atkins or Stillman's.

You want to begin adding veggies when you're within 20 pounds of goal so you can practice making food choices and not be overwhelmed

After the 3 days you can decide what you want to do:

1) Continue on protein & naturally occurring fats until close to goal

2) Begin adding SMALL servings of very low carb veggies

3) Go to Atkins Induction (but depending on your definition of "Induction", this can backfire!)

Yes, more than 3 days is fine. Be sure to take a Centrum type vitamin each day.

Absolutely introduce your carbs slowly when you begin. Try a SMALL salad at lunch, another at dinner type of thing. Slowly work your way up to however fast/slow you want to lose

If you keep your carbs VERY VERY low, you'll stay in this state of "no hunger" and rapid weight loss ... if that's what you want (not everyone does!)

Going to LC treats will almost guarantee your quick departure from Ketosis Central ... something to consider.

Nothing about the "experiment" can backfire. What you're doing is keeping carbs very, very low (or non existent). For people who have a difficult time losing, Dr. Atkins advised reducing carbs to 15 or 10 ... "or for especially difficult cases, 0 carbs".

Link to Kimmer's Fitday

Hope this helps.

GQ

can you tell me how exercise might affect this diet plan? if you work out a lot 4x/wk f/one hour - wts/ cardio and 30mins walk 5 days - does your body have enough energy to get through the week includ. these classes on 5-carbs or less. or would i just lose fat (hopefully just fat) really fast (if my brain stays alert) Not sure. Can you give some more insight on this???
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 17:40

BF:

I do exercise, not as much as you though, and I have had no problem at all. But I have talked to others who exercise like you do and they say that they actually have more energy and have no trouble doing the fast.

Of course one must always be sure and take their vitamin supplemints, especially while doing the meat & egg fast.

GQ
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-05, 21:43

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I use a version of this that I call extreme induction....it works well for me and I stay on it up to 2 weeks at a time.

I eat no more than 5 'net' carbs a day and I do drink coffee, Diet Rite and Fruit 2 0....I use the little 9/32 single serving size containers of Land O' Lakes half & half that I get in a big box at Sam's Club and they are 0.4 carbs each....the only veggie I really use is chopped raw spinach for salads...my fav spinach salad is loaded with roasted turkey (fresh homemade turkey is best...nothing is added to it) and then crumbled bacon and Kraft Carb Well French dressing (2 T.) and Kraft Carb Well Italian dressing (1 T.)...this salad is truly delicious!

One more thing....I don't go over 1200 calories when I am on this (and rarely any other time as well)....some days my calories are lower than this even because I lose my appetite quite a bit....eating 2-3 ounces of raw spinach a day helps keep things 'moving'...and also makes it much more 'doable' for me.

I count all carbs and now use the MY PLAN feature of this website.... for me the carbs in eggs count too....I am glad coffee has been found to be truly zero carb as this really helps me stick with this as well....the coffee doesn't spike my blood sugar or cause cravings for me, so I really enjoy it!
Closed Thread